• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2014 10:57 pm
[OP]
May 18, 2010
90 posts
36 upvotes

[Metro] Huge YMMV! SCOP! Metro: Free Chicken

Hi,

Here's a deal for people who likes to SCOP.

This week, at Metro, the following item is in special:

[INDENT]FRESH WHOLE CHICKEN
2,49 $ /lb
CAT. «A», 2 kg and more
5,49/kg[/INDENT]

I went to my local Metro (Bois-Des-Fillion, Quebec) and found the chicken without the special price tag.

The label on the chicken package was:

[INDENT]CHICKEN CAT A 2KG REG
PRICE: 7.03/KG
NET Kg: 1.786[/INDENT]

So, I pointed out the error at the cashier, who called the butcher and then the manager.
After a little bit of arguing, they ended up giving it to me for free.

The price for the chicken I took was 12.56$

They argued that the weight of the chicken I took was not 2KG, so not eligible to the weekly special, but I told them that the category on the label says CAT A 2KG, which is the same thing in the flyer.

So, you can try, but depending on who you get, that's a huge YMMV.

Also, my metro is not a Metro Plus, in case that matter.

Good luck!
46 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2007
1063 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SCOP = the price of the item, when scanned, is higher than the ticket price on the shelf or in the flyer.

People need to learn to read.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
2477 posts
326 upvotes
You ripped them off.

SCOP does not apply for items that have a price marked on them.

It only applies for items that scan for higher than the price displayed on the shelf.
Aug 21, 2011
847 posts
229 upvotes
Tags: ymmb
Your mileage may berry?

Can't see many others scoring it. On a related note, don't SCOP not belong on hot deals (unless the retailer takes forever to fix those mistakes), I mean it's hot deals forum not deal bragging forum.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6591 posts
2947 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Its funny becausr lately we see post of deals with nothing in the title ( no store name, price etc...) And then nothing in the description of the deal.

Then you get this... Its a good post describing the deal... But useless deal on a chicken deal because of a mistype label.....
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3262 posts
686 upvotes
SCOP does apply to this type of mislabelling. Max discount for SCOP is $10 - so you should have paid $2.56. THAT was your deal, and then only because they had no clue. I'm certain that they didn't bother to re-label the batch at the store because so few people would have caught the error. I am also reasonably certain that it was a local problem.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1327 posts
357 upvotes
actually no, it would still be free. Since the correct price would have been under 10$.

fredsmith wrote: SCOP does apply to this type of mislabelling. Max discount for SCOP is $10 - so you should have paid $2.56. THAT was your deal, and then only because they had no clue. I'm certain that they didn't bother to re-label the batch at the store because so few people would have caught the error. I am also reasonably certain that it was a local problem.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20714 posts
4846 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Redflagdeals Hot Forum. Where one goes to learn to scam businesses.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Sep 2, 2013
150 posts
46 upvotes
wtfit?

someone got a free chicken via shinnanigans and it is deserving of a hot deal country wide post?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
1794 posts
602 upvotes
Where did all the goodie two shoes come from?

There have been other threads where the deal was dependent on SCOP and they never received any flak. Would you all go up to the cashier and inform them of a price error as well? He's also not the first person to make a mistake, nor is he the first one to post about it so I don't see why it's being blown up.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a perfect way to make sure the OP comes back and tries to help out again!
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3320 posts
1733 upvotes
Toronto
kcirtap78 wrote: actually no, it would still be free. Since the correct price would have been under 10$.
Absolutely.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3320 posts
1733 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote: Redflagdeals Hot Forum. Where one goes to learn to scam businesses.
It's actually the businesses trying to scam us. SCOP is the best way to stop it.

However, I agree that price errors are usually so YMMV that it probably shouldn't be in the hot deals forum. And the way SCOP is supposed to function is that someone might get the item free, especially for the hassle that implementing it entails. But then the store should fix it, making any others not get it. Of course sometimes they lag on this.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3474 posts
590 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Well it looks like some people will SCOP at nothing to get a good deal!
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4475 posts
1362 upvotes
fergy wrote: Well it looks like some people will SCOP at nothing to get a good deal!
Who invented this SCOP thing and why?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8552 upvotes
GTHA
Totoriko wrote: Who invented this SCOP thing and why?
Google is your friend, do not be afraid to ask him. ;)

Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code of Practice

This Code, implemented in June 2002, applies to all scanned Universal Product Code (UPC), bar coded, and/or Price Look Up (PLU) merchandise sold in all participating stores, with the exception of goods such as prescription drugs which are not easily accessible to the public and price-ticketed items.

Purpose of the Code
The purpose of the Code is to:
  • Visibly demonstrate retailer commitment to scanner price accuracy;
  • Provide retailers with a consistent national framework for dealing with scanner price accuracy issues; and
  • Provide the retail industry with a mechanism for consumer redress in scanner price accuracy cases, to be managed by a Scanner Price Accuracy Committee.
Key Features of the Code

The Item Free Scanner Policy – The Retailers' Promise of Price Accuracy.

If the scanned price of a non-price ticketed item is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the item free, up to a $10 maximum. When the item has a price tagged, the lowest price applies. When identical items are incorrectly priced, the second one will be sold at the correct price.

Source: http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/ ... 01262.html