• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2021 2:30 pm
[OP]
Sep 8, 2008
241 posts
68 upvotes
Vancouver, Canada

Huggies hiked their diaper prices by atleast 25%

I recently visited Walmart and Loblaws (Superstore in BC) and saw that they jacked up the price for Huggies diapers by atleast 25%. And that too some of the diapers of Huggies are out of stock

Just 2 weeks back I bought one for my newborn for $19.97. This week it went up by 25% to $24.97.

Being a BC resident, I can afford to pay as we pay the premium for everything :). But wondering how will some families across Canada who are in below poverty line afford this hike despite the state of the economy not so great.

Are we entering into another pandemic rush at the mercy of these companies who produce and control supplies of essential items despite enough people getting vaccinated?
Seriously no catch. Free Bitcoin from Mogo. Sign up with this link and we both get $$$ to buy bitcoin!
21 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17752 posts
15207 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Same reason there’s about to be another run on TP & PT

Although this time it is a REAL THING for good reason

Wood Pulp Shortage

It’s another price adjustment cuz of Covid

But should work itself out as things become more readily available again = production increases / manpower issues decrease

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/07/business ... index.html
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4228 posts
844 upvotes
Richmond
Just use cloth diapers. Cheaper and more environmentally friendly
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10656 posts
5656 upvotes
Markham
Higher demands

After staying at home more than one year and nothing outside to do, we probably will see more babies coming lol
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17752 posts
15207 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
smartie wrote: Higher demands

After staying at home more than one year and nothing outside to do, we probably will see more babies coming lol
Maybe after the pandemic is over

But statistics say that we are actually DOWN for annual birth rate during the Pandemic itself

A combo of People being too stressed for sex (or seeing too much of one another in CONFINED conditions takes the “magic spark” away)
And the fact that with Birth Control, folks don’t like to plan babies for hard times

Baby boom after all this is over ?

Probably ... statistics show there’s always a boom in good times filled with hope & optimism

Lol, and most people lonnnng for vacations. Lots of vacations.

A lot of babies are conceived on vacation.
Jun 25, 2010
870 posts
286 upvotes
Try PC diapers or parents choice (Walmart) . Cheaper than huggies or pampers or Kirkland .No quality issues .
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
8317 posts
1889 upvotes
Burnaby
The heck you talking about, diapers are on sale at Wal-Mart right now. The largest boxes are 26 bucks for Huggies and pampers, which I bought for 32.74 two weeks ago because I really needed it.

Just went to get a price protection claim for the 6 bucks
Jul 7, 2019
85 posts
143 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Maybe after the pandemic is over

But statistics say that we are actually DOWN for annual birth rate during the Pandemic itself

A combo of People being too stressed for sex (or seeing too much of one another in CONFINED conditions takes the “magic spark” away)
And the fact that with Birth Control, folks don’t like to plan babies for hard times

Baby boom after all this is over ?

Probably ... statistics show there’s always a boom in good times filled with hope & optimism

Lol, and most people lonnnng for vacations. Lots of vacations.

A lot of babies are conceived on vacation.
Yes The Economist ran an article about birth rates being down in a lot of countries, despite the fact that millions of people have been stuck at home together with little else to do for more than a year now. The thinking is that a lot of couples are uncertain about their financial and employment futures and don't want to risk bringing another child into the world right now. In addition, a hospital giving birth is the last place a woman wants to be, given how COVID has run rampant in many facilities.

What I CAN suggest about the diaper issue: go to London Drugs. You can coupon stack there. As long as the coupons have different barcodes you can use multiple coupons on one box.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10656 posts
5656 upvotes
Markham
TravellingChris wrote: Yes The Economist ran an article about birth rates being down in a lot of countries, despite the fact that millions of people have been stuck at home together with little else to do for more than a year now. The thinking is that a lot of couples are uncertain about their financial and employment futures and don't want to risk bringing another child into the world right now. In addition, a hospital giving birth is the last place a woman wants to be, given how COVID has run rampant in many facilities.

What I CAN suggest about the diaper issue: go to London Drugs. You can coupon stack there. As long as the coupons have different barcodes you can use multiple coupons on one box.
Thanks for mentioning the economist

In terms of birth rate during pandemic, wouldn't we know the impact in 2021 or 2022? Because last year, no one would think we would stay at home for so long, so not like people change behaviour right away
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12052 posts
4367 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't say diapers are cheap, but I think price is still reasonable, ESPECIALLY you know how to shop.
There are often PC points at Loblaws, Shoppers or RCSS, they give you pts back for buying diapers or baby wipes (weekly offer at your app). Combine some other offer when you spend $50 or $75 and get XXX pts back.
Points can use to redeem money at their affiliates stores.

Also, go check at clearance section, I often shop at my local Loblaws and SDM and see diapers there at $10 or 50% off at their clearance section at the back.

I never bought diapers at regular price and rarely just at sales price, I always bought them at sales price stack with some kind of promo or clearance pricing.

Also, you can check kijiji or FB marketplace, some parents bought too much and the baby out grew it and they will re-sell the new box for lower than retail cost.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on May 21st, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17752 posts
15207 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
smartie wrote: Thanks for mentioning the economist

In terms of birth rate during pandemic, wouldn't we know the impact in 2021 or 2022? Because last year, no one would think we would stay at home for so long, so not like people change behaviour right away
Lol last time I checked it still takes 9 months to grow a baby

So ... as the Pandemic Shutdowns started in March ... the first round of pandemic babies would be born December 2020 thru now

As it does take 9 months ... Doctors would be reporting numbers down in the pregnant women they are seeing in the last 14 months.

So there’s a natural lag ... statisticians would be able to predict the outcome long before a baby arrives

By contrast ... births are up in some 3rd world countries ... cuz the pandemic has made it much more difficult to distribute contraception info & devices

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart ... 3afe467aa8

And so things even out

And like I said, our baby boom will no doubt come AFTER COVID ... as things ease more back towards normal.

These “trends” very much echo what was seen After WW II. Some countries experiencing their boom earlier, others later
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10656 posts
5656 upvotes
Markham
PointsHubby wrote: Lol last time I checked it still takes 9 months to grow a baby

So ... as the Pandemic Shutdowns started in March ... the first round of pandemic babies would be born December 2020 thru now

As it does take 9 months ... Doctors would be reporting numbers down in the pregnant women they are seeing in the last 14 months.

So there’s a natural lag ... statisticians would be able to predict the outcome long before a baby arrives

By contrast ... births are up in some 3rd world countries ... cuz the pandemic has made it much more difficult to distribute contraception info & devices

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart ... 3afe467aa8

And so things even out

And like I said, our baby boom will no doubt come AFTER COVID ... as things ease more back towards normal.

These “trends” very much echo what was seen After WW II. Some countries experiencing their boom earlier, others later
9 months is about right lol

Just saying we are still in the middle of pandemic. So pandemic or covid doesn't mean 2020 only

When my company first started working from home in march 2020, we thought we just need a few weeks and went back. Also there was some optimism about opening up in last summer, so I assume this "trend" started at September last year and continuing lol
[OP]
Sep 8, 2008
241 posts
68 upvotes
Vancouver, Canada
crimsona wrote: The heck you talking about, diapers are on sale at Wal-Mart right now. The largest boxes are 26 bucks for Huggies and pampers, which I bought for 32.74 two weeks ago because I really needed it.

Just went to get a price protection claim for the 6 bucks
The 26 bucks diapers 'Huggies' brand were $19 - $21. If you can do the math on per unit basis it used to be close to 24 cents now the per unit price have gone up to around 30 cents. I believe all retailers have now jacked up their price and reduced the quantity on shelves so customers will do FOMO and buys more. Those happy price will be probably black friday / boxing day sale now or may be never.

I guess its a Business Management tactic the business would play to make customer happy (as you will see in toilet paper and paper towels) that they reduce the total quantity in a package but if you do the math you will realize that it is actually expensive now compared to pre COVID even though you might see the price is same.
Last edited by perfectcritic on May 21st, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seriously no catch. Free Bitcoin from Mogo. Sign up with this link and we both get $$$ to buy bitcoin!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12052 posts
4367 upvotes
Toronto
There are a lot of Huggies and Pamper diaper models. Like Huggies are Special Delivery and Pampers has their Pure Protect, those are premium new launched/developed diapers.

Those will give you less diapers for the same or slightly higher cost. I don't notice any huge difference anyway, so I mainly buy the normal one. (for example Pamper Swaddlers, Huggies Little Snauggles), even the cheap PC one when they are on clearance.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jul 7, 2019
85 posts
143 upvotes
smartie wrote: Thanks for mentioning the economist

The first lockdowns etc. in the Western world were in March and April 2020 so you'd start to see an impact on births (assuming there was one) at the end of last year and beginning of this one. During the early days of the pandemic couples would have been enjoying a lot of sex (with all this free time) but clearly using birth control. As time went on, the seemingly endless nature of the crisis led to two things: a lot of couples got sick of one another's company and this led to an exacerbation of existing problems in marriages (e.g. Kelly Clarkson's divorce); and secondly there seemed to be no light at the end of the tunnel so a lot of couples who might have considered having another child (or a first one) decided to put it off indefinitely.

I myself thought I was out of the diaper game. Our kids are older and we have a live-in nanny. My wife often says (with more enthusiasm than I am comfortable with) that if it came down to a choice between keeping the nanny or keeping me, she would have a tough call. Late last year we were worried the nanny might get sent back to the Philippines, so my wife decided we should present Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada with a fait accompli that would make her impossible to deport. I can't decide if I'm hoping for a son or another daughter. So I suppose I should start clipping coupons now...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17752 posts
15207 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
TravellingChris wrote: The first lockdowns etc. in the Western world were in March and April 2020 so you'd start to see an impact on births (assuming there was one) at the end of last year and beginning of this one. During the early days of the pandemic couples would have been enjoying a lot of sex (with all this free time) but clearly using birth control. As time went on, the seemingly endless nature of the crisis led to two things: a lot of couples got sick of one another's company and this led to an exacerbation of existing problems in marriages (e.g. Kelly Clarkson's divorce); and secondly there seemed to be no light at the end of the tunnel so a lot of couples who might have considered having another child (or a first one) decided to put it off indefinitely.

I myself thought I was out of the diaper game. Our kids are older and we have a live-in nanny. My wife often says (with more enthusiasm than I am comfortable with) that if it came down to a choice between keeping the nanny or keeping me, she would have a tough call. Late last year we were worried the nanny might get sent back to the Philippines, so my wife decided we should present Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada with a fait accompli that would make her impossible to deport. I can't decide if I'm hoping for a son or another daughter. So I suppose I should start clipping coupons now...
Lol, sounds like your wife made the right call
Now she gets to keep both you and the nanny around awhile longer
Winking Face

Congratulations on your impending “surprise pkg”
I always liked the fact we never knew until the day ours arrived
Made the getting to know them ... this bundle of joy ... all that more enchanting some how
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13676 posts
2424 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I posted the following article link in the inflation thread: https://www.businessinsider.com/househo ... 021-4?op=1

Companies did announce price hikes and it includes baby care, feminine care, and adult diapers. The article also states the reasons.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3756 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
you can thank trudeau for the 2000/mth free handout. more money in people's hands = inflation

you can expect more price hikes this year
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17752 posts
15207 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Sprite_TM wrote: you can thank trudeau for the 2000/mth free handout. more money in people's hands = inflation

you can expect more price hikes this year
Your statement makes NO SENSE :facepalm:

The people who got the CERB $ 2000 a month payout
(Round numbers = $ 500 a week gross = $ 12.50 an hour )
We’re by the majority already making that amount ... or more per hour anyhow

Example ... Minimum Wage in Ontario is $ 15.00 an hour

One way inflation happens is when demand outstrips supply
This is EXACTLY what has happened since Covid
With lockdowns and manpower issues domestically / North America / worldwide
As well as sourcing materials from overseas not available for shipping
Or shipping costs at all time highs
(Again cuz of more demand than supply of spaces)
Costs go up

That’s where we are now

Want to help?
Stop buying junk you don’t truly need
Just buy the essentials you do need
So manufacturing can catch up

Diapers = pulp wood = forestry industry + transportation + manufacturing + shipping / distribution

Nothing wrong with buying diapers
But prob something wrong with deciding to build a deck right now
Decks are over priced right now cuz of the high demand for wood
People stop building them
It’s one way the wood industry catches up
And voila ... prices go back down