• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2011 9:39 am
[OP]
Aug 11, 2003
794 posts
51 upvotes
Hamilton

Human Target - Series Finale was on Wednesday 9 pm (Fox), now cancelled

UPDATE: as of May 10th, the series has been cancelled. There will be no season 3.

Wanted to give a quick shout-out to one of my favorite new series last year. The action scenes are absolutely top-notch and the series is a lot of fun.
Why they didn't move it into the 24 slot on Mondays at 9 is beyond me, but I guess it's better than Fridays (although "The Good Guys" is pretty good too).

Synopsis for tonight from Fox.com:

[QUOTE]Chance stages a daring rescue and 2 beautiful women join the team[/QUOTE]

Ugh. A better synopsis from tv.com:

[QUOTE]After rescuing Winston, Chance vows to retire as a bodyguard rather than further put his friends at risk. However, Ilsa Pucci, a billionaire philanthropist, asks for his help after the death of her husband, and a mysterious thief from Winston's past is involved.[/QUOTE]

And here's a 101 guide to Human Target: link
22 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
427 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Ok season 2 premier.. nothing like last year.

However, I am very, very, very sad and disappointed that Bear McCreary (the season 1 musical composer) isn't returning. He's the reason for the really beautiful movie style orchestral music in the show. He also did all of the music for the remake of Battlestar Galactica.

Basically, the new creative leadership didn't ask him to return - so thus his contract wasn't renewed.

I'm not digging this whole pop style music that the show is on now and for the foreseeable future. Leave it to Fox to ruin something good. Why Fox why?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad: On top of that, Bear McCreary won an Emmy for his musical composition for the show!! Why let go of a good thing Fox??

The music was such a tremendous part of the show, if anything, tonight felt like an episode of 24... :confused:

Here is the link to Bear McCreary's blog entry regarding his leaving of the show.. :( :(

Scroll down to listen to clips from his 6 favourite pieces that he composed for the show in season 1, clearly the short 10-15 second clips are far superior than the current trash of music that's replaced the show as of Season 2: http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=4354
[OP]
Aug 11, 2003
794 posts
51 upvotes
Hamilton
CSAgent wrote: Ok season 2 premier.. nothing like last year.

However, I am very, very, very sad and disappointed that Bear McCreary (the season 1 musical composer) isn't returning. He's the reason for the really beautiful movie style orchestral music in the show. He also did all of the music for the remake of Battlestar Galactica.

Basically, the new creative leadership didn't ask him to return - so thus his contract wasn't renewed.

I'm not digging this whole pop style music that the show is on now and for the foreseeable future. Leave it to Fox to ruin something good. Why Fox why?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad: On top of that, Bear McCreary won an Emmy for his musical composition for the show!! Why let go of a good thing Fox??

The music was such a tremendous part of the show, if anything, tonight felt like an episode of 24... :confused:

Here is the link to Bear McCreary's blog entry regarding his leaving of the show.. :( :(

Scroll down to listen to clips from his 6 favourite pieces that he composed for the show in season 1, clearly the short 10-15 second clips are far superior than the current trash of music that's replaced the show as of Season 2: http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=4354

I heard about that too - very unfortunate as the music in season 1 was all done with an entire orchestra and gave it an epic feel. I guess this is one of the cost-saving measures they had to take to bring it back this year - I don't think producing this show is particularly cheap.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1730 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
CSAgent wrote: Why let go of a good thing Fox??

That's what Fox always do. They are always cancelling entire series that I watch regularly. I'd sworn off watching any more Fox series. I didn't realise that HT was from them.

Missed it tonight (wasn't expecting a premiere at this point). Hopefully it will rerun on Space or something.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
427 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Episode 2 was on tonight.

Maybe it's just me, but I personally thought season 1 was a lot better. I know, I know - only second episode of season 2. I think I know why though, oh because Bear McCreary's EPIC score is missing!!

They opened up the episode with Andre 3000's Shake It - an annoying pop song from eons ago! > :( :facepalm:

Anyway, went and bought the season 1 OST from iTunes in its entirety instead. Great listen and beautifully orchestrated. I hate to say it, but Human Target may not last beyond season 2 especially considering the high standards that were set by season 1.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1884 posts
158 upvotes
Agree with above poster.

And the addition of these two characters... annoying so far. Elsa wanting to tag along??? Guerraro and the other (hot) chick bickering?? lame.... That scene with the high tech computer was just there so it can look all techie and modern... Fox wanted to show off a few special effects.

I liked S2 E1.
I was very disappointed with S2 E2.

Hopefully it improves.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2003
794 posts
51 upvotes
Hamilton
I watched part of the 2nd episode far - my DVR queue is kind of full.

I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the new opening theme. It just sucks - a mess of techno-synth-pop or whatever that is.

The whole series feels a lot less "classy". I guess that it's trying to widen it's demographic appeal. Apparently, they replaced the showrunner with the guy who does Chuck (also, the composer comes from Chuck).

Yuck. If it's a toss up between The Good Guys and HT, please keep TGG.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
427 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
If their reasoning is they can't afford a 40-person orchestra on a weekly basis for season 2, how did they afford it then with season 1??! It doesn't make sense.

I loathe the new opening also. I hate how they are also intercutting scenes with pop music now too. Like last episode, when Ames was crawling through the vents, they had Far East Movement's Fly Like A G6 playing? As much as I support the music group, that song had no place in a show like this!! > :(
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
427 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Horrible episode tonight.

Baptiste was brought back, but it lost all of the seriousness menace that was his character. Tonight's episode felt like it was Chuck! I can't stand Ilsa Pucci, find her rather annoying and out of place for this show.

The fight between Chance and Baptiste was a joke especially with the crap music they played. The show is too light hearted and lost the dramatic action tone it had in the 1st season.

This is how a fight from season 1 is 10 times better than anything we've seen in season 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKMyNAdB ... re=related

In addition, the show is losing viewers steadily since the season premier. Looks like Human Target will not last beyond season 2. Not to mention how Mexicans or Latinos as villains are the most inept bunch of idiots ever. Dual .50 cal machine gun nests shooting within 10 feet cannot stop a pick up truck? The army that can't shoot a guy off of a truck with the M-16 rifle within 8 feet or less? What, did they hire Star Wars Stormtroopers for season 2?

Way to go Fox, way to ruin another great potential show! Seriously, a monkey can run Fox TV better than whoever they have running it right now!
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2501 posts
145 upvotes
York
I absolutely loved season 1. Tonight was the first time I saw anything from season 2 and wow... It went from a stunning series to high school production. I think CSAgent is right. Unless major changes happen then at this rate season 2 should be the end of this series. There's enough series out there that resemble tonights episode.

I'd hate to drop the series after only knowing the plot up until the end of the season 1 cliffhanger but if the rest of the season is the way tonights episode was then maybe it's better for me to not know how that plays out and just enjoy the past memories of what used to be.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2003
794 posts
51 upvotes
Hamilton
OK, I stuck with it throughout the season so far. After rewatching season 1, I think they have really kind of tossed out the "fit in, make the target appear vulnerable and neutralize the threat", and just kind of went with a more streamlined action set piece. From what I gathered, it was the studio (Warner Brothers) which requested that the show be retooled to fit a wider demo, esp. with women. I don't think that was the right move for the show - I thought it would have been a great replacement for 24 after 24 vacated the post-House slot this year.

Yes, it's bleeding viewers and signs of it being picked up are grim. The show is still fun, but it lost some of it's charm from when the guys were scrapping by just barely in season 1.
I'll watch it for the rest of the season and enjoy it while it lasts, seeing that the three Fox shows I'm rooting for: Human Target, The Good Guys (done) and Fringe don't have entirely great prospects for another year :(
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
3639 posts
131 upvotes
Yah. I just realized that I totally stopped watching season 2 a few eps in. Not really a conscious effort, I just didn't care enough to remember it. Season 1 was solid and I watched every episode of that. Ah well... this is turning out to be a very bad year for TV.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
427 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
So boring.

Show has gone downhill. Eames and Ilsa has seriously botched this show. Chance isn't the same in this season. He's more like a child.

Good bye Human Target; we hardly knew ye.
Aug 10, 2001
896 posts
193 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Didnt see season 1 but the wife and mother-in-law love it. All of us like the humour. If they wanted to attract more female viewers, they got them. I find Ilsa annoying but she growing on my mother-in-law.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
427 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
pennysaver wrote: Didnt see season 1 but the wife and mother-in-law love it. All of us like the humour. If they wanted to attract more female viewers, they got them. I find Ilsa annoying but she growing on my mother-in-law.

Viewership is dropping weekly, started off with 6 million average in season 2, it's around 3.5 million right now. HT has until May to convince Fox to keep it or can it.

Too bad, I like the 3 main male cast. I find Ames to be most useless thus far this season.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23107 posts
8167 upvotes
They should have had Rick Springfield on an episode as his dad or something. He was the original Human Target. I miss the flying wing and the face changer machine. That was right out of the comic. Now he's a glorified bodyguard. Ah well...
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
427 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
In case anyone cared, season finale of Human Target season 2 is next week. Only 13 episodes will have aired, like last year for season 1.

However, most fansites are listing this show as will be likely canceled. And I can understand why.

HT pretty much lost its charm after a great season 1. The introduction of 2 new characters of Ames and Ilsa has not worked the way they expected to, which was to draw in female viewers. My take on them 2: Ames is useless. She has not served anything beyond being a good looking distraction, which they have not used fully to its potential. Ilsa is just annoying, she's the damsel in distress character that does nothing but puts herself in dangerous situations for Chance to save. Having a romantic tension in a show like HT just doesn't work.

I like the original 3 cast members more - they should have stuck with this winning formula for another few seasons before introducing new characters. That way, it would have garnered a larger general audience and financial backing. With this season's flop, like most Fox shows, it's going to be canceled.

I can't say I'm not going to miss it as I like Chance, Guerrero and Winston a lot. But I'll move on, and watch the next great show Fox will come out with only to cancel it after 1 or 2 seasons.

RIP HT (most likely.) We hardly knew ya!
[OP]
Aug 11, 2003
794 posts
51 upvotes
Hamilton
CSAgent wrote: In case anyone cared, season finale of Human Target season 2 is next week. Only 13 episodes will have aired, like last year for season 1.

However, most fansites are listing this show as will be likely canceled. And I can understand why.

HT pretty much lost its charm after a great season 1. The introduction of 2 new characters of Ames and Ilsa has not worked the way they expected to, which was to draw in female viewers. My take on them 2: Ames is useless. She has not served anything beyond being a good looking distraction, which they have not used fully to its potential. Ilsa is just annoying, she's the damsel in distress character that does nothing but puts herself in dangerous situations for Chance to save. Having a romantic tension in a show like HT just doesn't work.

I like the original 3 cast members more - they should have stuck with this winning formula for another few seasons before introducing new characters. That way, it would have garnered a larger general audience and financial backing. With this season's flop, like most Fox shows, it's going to be canceled.

I can't say I'm not going to miss it as I like Chance, Guerrero and Winston a lot. But I'll move on, and watch the next great show Fox will come out with only to cancel it after 1 or 2 seasons.

RIP HT (most likely.) We hardly knew ya!
Actually, there was only 12 episodes in season 1, so only 25 episodes in total.
I thought that there was an uptick on the Monday airing - not sure about the Wednesday one. I think pickup depends on whether or not they have enough pilots for next year. Getting a second season was actually a small miracle unto itself.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
427 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Good bye HT, we hardly knew ya.

There were so many things right in Season 1, but too many wrongs in Season 2. (New intro music, generic music, but most of all, Pucci and Ames failed this show.)