Food & Drink

Are humans omnivores, herbivores or frugivores?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2018 12:29 am
Tags:
None

Poll: Omnivore or Herbivore or Frugivore

  • Total votes: 23. You have voted on this poll.
Omnivore
 
21
91%
Herbivore
 
1
4%
Frugivore
 
1
4%
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
4309 posts
930 upvotes
Scarborough

Are humans omnivores, herbivores or frugivores?

Okay, so after doing some research, i've found a ton of misinformation on this subject. I think this is the first time i've witnessed so much FAKE news on the subject, to an extent that is eye opening.

Many people say humans are naturally omnivores but is that really the truth? What about herbivores--are we supposed to be mainly plant eaters by our design? Looking at the chart below, our anatomy suggests something else. Our teeth resembles neither omnivores or herbivores but frugivores, that is we don't have sharp teeth like carnivores, nor do we have flat teeth like herbivores. Our intestines are the same length as a frugivores as well, a design optimal for digesting fruits, nuts and vegetables. Carnivores and omnivores have much shorter intestines because the meat they eat turns toxic and is required to be dumped quickly from the body. Another argument I've heard that claims we are supposed to be omnivores is because we need vitamin b12. The claim is that we need to eat meat in order to obtain b12, thus proving we are meant to be omnivores. But upon researching the subject, I found that even the animals we eat don't produce the B12 naturally. The farmers in fact supplement the grain they feed to the cows with b12 so the livestock get the nutrients needed to be healthy. Humans who consume this meat are thus indirectly obtaining a supplement of b12. Vegans/Vegetarians don't get b12 in this way and thus need to eat fortified foods or buy the supplements themselves.

So in conclusion, I have to say that our bodies are naturally meant to be frugivores, ie what we are designed to eat to maintain optimal health are plants, fruits and nuts. What do you guys think?

Image
19 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 5, 2017
1171 posts
181 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
id say we are a hybrid of frugivore and omnivore.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes
The body requires essential fatty acids, essential amino acids and no essential carbs...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2009
5840 posts
1163 upvotes
Toronto
Without "evolving" into an omnivore with cooking meat and hard vegetables (longer intestines can handle cooked a lot better than raw foods), early ancestors may not been able to consume the calories required to develop larger brains to become homo sapien.

I guess a true omnivore eats raw meat and vegetables. Therefore I also agree with the omnivore/frugivore hybrid.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1501 upvotes
Humans have been cooking and processing our food for thousands of years and we have partly evolved with it, including our smaller teeth and jaws compared to other primates. Some anthropologists believe our big brains and jaw structure are reflective of cooked starch (root vegetables, grains) adaptation. Coarse vegetables/grains require a lot of grinding, which would mean we should have kept big teeth and big jaws had we not been cooking.

But anyway, if we look at our closest evolutionary relatives--chimpanzees--they are also omnivores. They have big incisors; they don't cook their food as extensively as we have been doing.

Gorillas--primarily herbivores--still have big, large incisors.

So if I had to take a guess, humans are naturally omnivorous even if you look at the flattening and smallness of our teeth, like chimps.

https://janegoodall.ca/our-stories/10-t ... nzees-eat/ --> this site does say that meat and eggs only make up 5-8% of their diets, though, with fruit being their majority preference.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
187 upvotes
We're probably the most adaptable of the bunch. Our ability to cook food certainly helps in eating food that we shouldn't be digesting if it were raw.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1960 posts
813 upvotes
We are basically frugivore, of the big 3 we would be closest to herbivore
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4569 upvotes
Montréal
Easy answer:. We are whatever we should eat to make us most healthy, and I'm pretty sure that's heading towards the vegan route. However, a long way to go for reg folks to make this practical.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Easy answer:. We are whatever we should eat to make us most healthy, and I'm pretty sure that's heading towards the vegan route. However, a long way to go for reg folks to make this practical.
thats odd, the oldest humans that existed weren't vegan :facepalm:
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4569 upvotes
Montréal
toronto19850 wrote: thats odd, the oldest humans that existed weren't vegan :facepalm:

Did I say that? I guess your too much meat eating clogged up your simple brain.

It's called *evolution* and *progress*, you retro grouch. :facepalm:
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Member
Apr 18, 2017
491 posts
342 upvotes
Evolutionarily, the path is well understood.
primates common ancestor was Purgatorius, ate fruits and flowers. Frugivore

Next came Sahelanthropus, that included fibrous plants, seeds and nuts. 100% plant based
Here is where we split branches, one branch became modern day apes,
And the other branch (leading to us).... several species of Australopithecus.

Australopithecus, also ate a plant based diet.

About 2.5million years ago, the rise of Homo occurred coincident with a dramatic increase in brain size, decrease in gut length, and the eating of meat.


So if by human, one means any and all of Genus "Homo", then it seems pretty clear the biological answer to the question "Are humans omnivores, herbivores or frugivores". must be omnivores.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: Did I say that? I guess your too much meat eating clogged up your simple brain.

It's called *evolution* and *progress*, you retro grouch. :facepalm:
Well you claim the Vegas diet is the healthiest. However the longest living humans weren't vegan.
So living long isn't a sign of good health? Can't tell if you're joking or serious...apparently earlier death is healthy

Also who knew meat clogged the brain, it's no wonder Warren Buffett is so dumb!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4569 upvotes
Montréal
toronto19850 wrote: Well you claim the Vegas diet is the healthiest. However the longest living humans weren't vegan.
So living long isn't a sign of good health? Can't tell if you're joking or serious...apparently earlier death is healthy

Also who knew meat clogged the brain, it's no wonder Warren Buffett is so dumb!
I'm pretty sure w all the diseases associated w meat it's not the healthiest way. Again, it's called progress and ofc you'd find the longest lived thus fAr had some meat simply because the vast majority of ppl are still meat eaters, but while you're thinking of the past, I'm thinking way ahead of you.

...And No living long per se is not a sign of health. You prefer quantity while I prefer quality. In any event, as more ppl convert to V, I'm sure you'll see them make those lists.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 3, 2009
5840 posts
1163 upvotes
Toronto
Modern veganism is a completely different topic. Early humans didn't have the nutritional information or natural resources to be able to balance a healthy vegan diet, and at the same time have the evolutionary brain growth.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
4309 posts
930 upvotes
Scarborough
It's true that eating meat is part of human evolution. But maybe society is eating far too much of it. Early humans didn't get most of their calories from meat. In fact, most of it came from nuts, fruits and veggies. Meat was supplemental for our nutritional needs.

The question is, which is our body better designed to eat? Which makes us healthier? Humans have always adapted to their environment and in the past, before agriculture, eating meat was necessary to supply us with calories. The amount of physical exercise done by early humans was far more than modern humans.

We are still evolving. Adapting to environments we create. In our modern sedentery lives with abundance of foods, we should be making proper adjustments. Without physical exercise, and access to cheap processed foods I think it's important to eat what our bodies are designed for more than ever. Eat mostly plants, fruits, nuts. Much less meat.
Jr. Member
Aug 7, 2016
178 posts
154 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote: The question is, which is our body better designed to eat? Which makes us healthier? Humans have always adapted to their environment and in the past, before agriculture, eating meat was necessary to supply us with calories. The amount of physical exercise done by early humans was far more than modern humans.
no, the question was "Are humans omnivores, herbivores or frugivores?"
Was asked and answered logically and rationally.
You didn't like the answer so you are now changing the question.
"It's usually futile to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance."
[OP]
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
4309 posts
930 upvotes
Scarborough
Tceight wrote: no, the question was "Are humans omnivores, herbivores or frugivores?"
Was asked and answered logically and rationally.
You didn't like the answer so you are now changing the question.
people can say whatever they want but without real facts and science, its just garbage fake news like trump says. People think that humans are omnivores. But what exactly is an omnivore?? Someone who eats 50% meat, 50% carbs, no veggies? What about someone who is >95% vegan, ie eating meat one meal a week? The question is really about health. What lifestyle diet results in best health of people? This diet is the one that humans are designed for and the one we should follow. The answer to that seems to be frugivore or pescetarian.
Jr. Member
Aug 7, 2016
178 posts
154 upvotes
blaznazn22 wrote: people can say whatever they want but without real facts and science, its just garbage fake news like trump says. People think that humans are omnivores. But what exactly is an omnivore?? Someone who eats 50% meat, 50% carbs, no veggies? What about someone who is >95% vegan, ie eating meat one meal a week? The question is really about health. What lifestyle diet results in best health of people? This diet is the one that humans are designed for and the one we should follow. The answer to that seems to be frugivore or pescetarian.
Agreed. without real facts and science, its just garbage.
You haven't stated any facts or used the scientific method or formal reasoning to support any of your opinions.
@Qman23 and @peanutz have done so.
What "fake news" do you refer to? Facts that you happen to disagree with?
What facts do you present to support your contention that the optimal human diet is Frugivore or pescetatian?
People are entitled to make up their own opinions.
People aren't entitled to make up their own facts.
"It's usually futile to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance."
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2655 posts
455 upvotes
I'm pretty sure I was a natural born carnivore, then I met my wife and I became an omnivore, haha
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7008 posts
1763 upvotes
What an interesting topic, I had never heard of a frugivore before reading this. Thanks blaznazn22 (OP). So much to think about, I can't even form an opinion yet.

One thing I feel is that we eat too much meat, I try to treat meat (any animal protein source) as a condiment, not a main course.

Top