Students

Humber College Paramedics Entry Exam

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2020 7:48 pm
Mar 17, 2017
1 posts

Humber College Paramedics Entry Exam

Hey guys!

So today I took my paramedics entry exam at Humber College (North Campus program). I had searched all over the internet for some good example questions/a recent update about the exam but was unable to find anything truly helpful. So here I am to give everyone like me some help for the future exams.

The exam is 2.75 hours, broken down into 4-5 categories, these being:
Chemistry (31) (25 mins)
Biology (30) (20 mins)
Math (45) (1 hr)
English (Essay) (1 hr)
Questionnaire (After the exam)

The instructor gives you the full 2.75 hrs to complete the exam, but suggests that you spend given times on each section above^, but you can choose what category you need to spend most of your time in. *Note: the exam is done on a computer, so you must answer each multiple choice question in the moment - you are unable to go back to any questions.

The main thing that I was looking for when searching the exam, was more than one example for each section - most links I found said "Basic Grade 11 Chem" but for many people taking the exam, they/we have been out of high school for 2+ years. Here is my breakdown from what I can remember:

Chemistry:
laws - dalton's law, boyle's law, etc.
solvent, solution, solute (which in the sentence is which)
acidity
elements, electrons, protons, neutrons
compounds
**THERE IS NO MATH FOR THE CHEM

Biology:
what attaches muscles to bone/bone to bone
what brings blood to and away from the heart
parts of the SMALL intestine (duodenum, jejunum, ileum)
axial part of the skeleton
what haemoglobin carries

Math: *NO CALCULATORS
a lot of schedule based questions for the work problems (8), such as: if this person wants to fit this into their schedule, but can only be at school for 6 hours, which would fit? or
if this person needs to bus to school and have 10 minutes before class to walk to class and be on time, which bus should they take?
decimals - multiplying, dividing, adding, subtracting
fractions - I had more decimals than fractions, but the fractions typically were only adding/subtracting mixed fractions, and putting a number into fraction form
multiplication, division

English:
300-500 word essay on a question given. my question was different than the persons beside me (i peaked), it was:
"Are we free to make our own decisions or are we limited to the choices we can make?"
It was a bit of a hard one to answer, and biased. Anyways, you can give yourself an hour to figure this one out as all questions are different. This essay would determine which english class you would go into, if accepted into the program.

Questionnaire:
after/before the exam (mine was after), we went to a lecture hall, where the instructor introduced herself and gave some info about the program, as well as took attendance and handed out a questionnaire (i thought we would be interviewed by the prof as indicated in other threads that i read, but it makes sense not to interview 90 people - even if there were more interviewers)
on the questionnaire:
name, certifications *must bring them with you*, most recent education, volunteer or work experience that would help you with this program, and a paragraph explaining why you want to be in the field of paramedicine and what you can bring to the program.

That is all that I recall as of now, but please, if anyone has any questions about the exam, do not hesitate to ask!
7 replies
Mar 5, 2017
4 posts
carlyogi wrote: Hey guys!

So today I took my paramedics entry exam at Humber College (North Campus program). I had searched all over the internet for some good example questions/a recent update about the exam but was unable to find anything truly helpful. So here I am to give everyone like me some help for the future exams.

The exam is 2.75 hours, broken down into 4-5 categories, these being:
Chemistry (31) (25 mins)
Biology (30) (20 mins)
Math (45) (1 hr)
English (Essay) (1 hr)
Questionnaire (After the exam)

The instructor gives you the full 2.75 hrs to complete the exam, but suggests that you spend given times on each section above^, but you can choose what category you need to spend most of your time in. *Note: the exam is done on a computer, so you must answer each multiple choice question in the moment - you are unable to go back to any questions.

The main thing that I was looking for when searching the exam, was more than one example for each section - most links I found said "Basic Grade 11 Chem" but for many people taking the exam, they/we have been out of high school for 2+ years. Here is my breakdown from what I can remember:

Chemistry:
laws - dalton's law, boyle's law, etc.
solvent, solution, solute (which in the sentence is which)
acidity
elements, electrons, protons, neutrons
compounds
**THERE IS NO MATH FOR THE CHEM

Biology:
what attaches muscles to bone/bone to bone
what brings blood to and away from the heart
parts of the SMALL intestine (duodenum, jejunum, ileum)
axial part of the skeleton
what haemoglobin carries

Math: *NO CALCULATORS
a lot of schedule based questions for the work problems (8), such as: if this person wants to fit this into their schedule, but can only be at school for 6 hours, which would fit? or
if this person needs to bus to school and have 10 minutes before class to walk to class and be on time, which bus should they take?
decimals - multiplying, dividing, adding, subtracting
fractions - I had more decimals than fractions, but the fractions typically were only adding/subtracting mixed fractions, and putting a number into fraction form
multiplication, division

English:
300-500 word essay on a question given. my question was different than the persons beside me (i peaked), it was:
"Are we free to make our own decisions or are we limited to the choices we can make?"
It was a bit of a hard one to answer, and biased. Anyways, you can give yourself an hour to figure this one out as all questions are different. This essay would determine which english class you would go into, if accepted into the program.

Questionnaire:
after/before the exam (mine was after), we went to a lecture hall, where the instructor introduced herself and gave some info about the program, as well as took attendance and handed out a questionnaire (i thought we would be interviewed by the prof as indicated in other threads that i read, but it makes sense not to interview 90 people - even if there were more interviewers)
on the questionnaire:
name, certifications *must bring them with you*, most recent education, volunteer or work experience that would help you with this program, and a paragraph explaining why you want to be in the field of paramedicine and what you can bring to the program.

That is all that I recall as of now, but please, if anyone has any questions about the exam, do not hesitate to ask!
Hi, Thank you for posting your experience with the test. And giving tips.

Im super nervous, I'm signed up for the April 1st test. I've heard theres like 1500 applicants for 70 spots. Adds more pressure.

Any feedback? Was the test straight-forward, tricky? Is it multiple choice.

Any suggestions on how I should prep for the next few days.

Did you study from both resources: Sciencia and the HOAE book ?

Is all the chem & bio from the HAOE book ? That book is not straight forward, theres some stuff there which they don't explain, but want you to look up.
Was there stuff on Mitosis/Meiosis, Cellular Respiration, DNA. Theres soo much material to go over.

Need all the help I need.

Thanks in Advance.
Mar 30, 2017
1 posts
ajeej123 wrote: Hi, Thank you for posting your experience with the test. And giving tips.

Im super nervous, I'm signed up for the April 1st test. I've heard theres like 1500 applicants for 70 spots. Adds more pressure.

Any feedback? Was the test straight-forward, tricky? Is it multiple choice.

Any suggestions on how I should prep for the next few days.

Did you study from both resources: Sciencia and the HOAE book ?

Is all the chem & bio from the HAOE book ? That book is not straight forward, theres some stuff there which they don't explain, but want you to look up.
Was there stuff on Mitosis/Meiosis, Cellular Respiration, DNA. Theres soo much material to go over.

Need all the help I need.

Thanks in Advance.

Hey! Goodluck on your test! I too wrote the paramedics entry exam on a few weeks back. The test is pretty straight forward, they won't try to trick you. I am an undergraduate in Biology and I strictly studied from the book they recommended. If you stick to that, there won't be any surprises. The Bio section had some data you had to interpret but it was very straight forward. Know you acid base properties (ie: is an acid a good conductor? pH levels).

Don't worry about cellular division, perhaps briefly look over anatomy based questions. I went in-depth with all the notes given in the book but honestly in hindsight it was kind of a waste of time. The book goes into way too much detail. HOWEVER, that being said, if you do decided to do what i did and review everything in the bio/chem sections you'll be more than prepared.
Mar 4, 2018
1 posts
Hey there!

I know you posted this like a year ago, but I hope you get this anyways!

I am writing the exam in the next coming weeks and had a couple of questions and was hoping you would maybe remember something!

Was there a lot of questions about active/passive transports? Were the questions straight forward or were they about the tiniest of details?

Are the questions random, or are they more tailored for paramedics? For example, in the biology portion youd see more about anatomy etc rather than "What is the second law of thermodynamics?"

For Chem, how are the questions set up? Did you have to do any chemical equation balancing? Or was it straight forward questions? Are the multiple choice answers tricky?

Thank you so much,
Eyglo
Jun 11, 2018
1 posts
Hey guys.. i am looking to take up the test next year.. and i would like to start preparing from now. Can you please suggest the books and also do we a secind attempt for the humber entry exam
May 28, 2012
686 posts
693 upvotes
ONT
Sammy123456 wrote: Did you get accepted into the program?
Also did you get a job after qualifying? Had a friend 5 years ago, he had great difficulty finding one then. I moved away and lost touch.