Expired Hot Deals

[Humble Bundle] Humble Software Bundle: Be a Creative Superhero! With Painter, CorelCAD and CorelDRAW Graphics Suite $39.58

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 3:14 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
1158 posts
979 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
Obviously, the price for Corel is better with the Humble deal. However, any thoughts on Corel versus Affinity's Paint and Designer?
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
craigdck wrote: Any video editing software?
Not this year. There was the very good Pinnacle Studio last year but it was replaced with CorelCAD this year.
Sep 19, 2017
952 posts
752 upvotes
Moncton
Elrondolio wrote: Its been a few years since I've used CorelCAD (I think 2015ish) but even back then it was pretty powerful. Since it supports DWG and AutoCAD imports it makes it pretty universal. I really liked its 2D featureset and its 3D was pretty good as well but I was less interested in that aspect. On the affordability scale this simply can't be beat.

Have you enjoyed your Huion and Painter? I sometimes use my HS610 when I'm using my main gaming laptop or am traveling with it or only have my android phone. I really, really enjoy it. I mainly use Painter with my convertible work laptop, however, a Lenovo Yoga 730 and my wife's Flex 14. Both have pen support and its wonderful using Painter to illustrate directly on screen. Painter is definitely my favorite of the many painting apps on Windows.

A very good digital painter on the web with excellent tutorials, custom brushes, etc, etc is Aaron Rutten. His Corel tutorials are uniformly excellent and very in-depth... when he has a good sale (look for 2020 tutorials to be highly discounted when his 2021 tutorial gets released soon) you can pick it up well under a hundred or so and that gives access to his entire collection of previous tutorials (Corel, Photoshop, etc), tons and tons of custom brushes, software, etc. Worth a look if anyone wants to learn or hone their skills in digital painting or illustration.

https://aaronrutten.com
https://gumroad.com/l/painter2021/preorder
https://www.youtube.com/user/anatomyofrockthe
Heh... I had intended to see if I could get in touch with my artistic side (I have a hard time drawing a straight line with a ruler... :) ) but that was back in October (looking through your thread I see I had it wrong in my mind... I bought the tablet because of the Corel purchase, not the other way around) and I bought a 3D printer in December so that's taken up all of my hobby time since then. :)

That said, I did play with the tablet when I first got it and was impressed with the function of pressure for things like brush and pencil strokes, I just never got around to going through the video tutorials to get started on the basics of Painter.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Jun 18, 2016
472 posts
1403 upvotes
dzug18 wrote: For those that are thinking of trying this for the discounted CorelCad license, this bundle includes the old 2019 version and not the updated 2020 version. For me on a Mac that means the retina display support is non-existent and the application looks terrible and hard to read on my 27" iMac. Really inexcusable on a modern app IMHO.
Thanks for pointing this out. That’s a dealbreaker for me. Hard to believe retina support isn’t there considering the Retina MacBook Pro has been out for nearly 9 years.
Sep 19, 2017
952 posts
752 upvotes
Moncton
I'm not familiar with the internal workings of "retina display"... I thought it was mostly just a relatively high res. What function of retina display requires support, and how does the lack of that support affect image quality?

edit: Looks like it's blocky / blurry text, icons, and design elements if they're not "scalable". Quick search suggests it starts being an issue above 1440p.
ASUS Zenfone 3 Zoom @ $299 / Certified Pre-Owned Huawei P20 @ $240 / Huawei P20 + Huawei Watch GT @ $240
Sep 19, 2017
952 posts
752 upvotes
Moncton
Elrondolio wrote: Yes. At these prices I upgrade my Corel suite every year through Humble when the upgrades are worth it. This year the Painter 2020 upgrade is well worth it and the new CorelCAD is as well. I'll sell, trade or give away to family or friends the Paint Shop Pro 2020, AfterShot and ParticleShop keys I already have licenses for that were not upgraded this year. Most of the brush packs are new this year so will keep them as well.

By the way: if anyone already owns a pen enabled convertible laptop (recommended), tablet or graphics tablet I'd very highly recommend Corel Painter... it is beyond excellent. One can currently pick up a very inexpensive but very good quality and featured graphics tablet from Huion, the 1060Plus, for $65.99 shipped after coupon clip (no taxes) from Amazon.ca:

Image(credit: parkablogs.com review)

https://www.amazon.ca/1060Plus-Graphics ... B01DZLKYEW
Since you bought the new bundle, I don't suppose you've had a chance to install CorelCad (2019) to see if they're offering a relatively cheap upgrade path to the 2020 version? $40 + whatever upgrade deal they're offering might still be worthwhile for the folks who need retina display support.
Apr 17, 2020
14 posts
6 upvotes
LazyDealHunter wrote: Hi, sorry newbie here trying to find a good software for my daughter who wants to learn - is this a monthly subscription fee or a one time payment for a perpetual license? TIA!
If it is digital drawing that she is interested, you don't need to buy anything. You're better off spendingt the extra cash to get her a bigger Intous/drawing board.

I recommend Krita. It's free, open source and is a digital painting focused photoshop clone.
I recently got into digital painting and after research settled on photoshop/Krita. You should know that Krita as a software won't limit her skill ceiling. Painter seems to be used by traditional artists who wish to have the brush textures that might be hard to replicate by digital tools. Also it's more CPu intensive.

Best option go for Krita and she can follow the million youtube videos. Phoshop tutorials can also be followed along for the most part
Mar 25, 2012
147 posts
226 upvotes
NB
Darn, I got a Corel bundle last year that didn't include Draw, and it was actually what I wanted most. Now this bundle only has a 6 month subscription for Draw. Hmm...
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
sswilson wrote: Since you bought the new bundle, I don't suppose you've had a chance to install CorelCad (2019) to see if they're offering a relatively cheap upgrade path to the 2020 version? $40 + whatever upgrade deal they're offering might still be worthwhile for the folks who need retina display support.
Yes, I've installed it but no, there are no "offers" in this app like other Corel apps (landing screen after startup, no upgrade option in help menu, etc). The UI hasn't been updated in years, clearly... no wonder "retina"displays (or any high-res display regardless of marketing name) doesn't scale the UI properly. It still looks supremely powerful feature wise but good heavens... upgrade the UI to something even close to resembling this decade already. Rant off... it looks like the upgrade path is via Corels website and that currently sits at $259 CAD for 2020.

Most of the other apps in the humble package have larger discounts via the app itself (ie: Painter 2021 is being offered for $174 in app, $269 via website and so on). CorelCAD does not, unfortunately.
Sep 19, 2017
952 posts
752 upvotes
Moncton
Elrondolio wrote: Yes, I've installed it but no, there are no "offers" in this app like other Corel apps (landing screen after startup, no upgrade option in help menu, etc). The UI hasn't been updated in years, clearly... no wonder "retina"displays (or any high-res display regardless of marketing name) doesn't scale the UI properly. It still looks supremely powerful feature wise but good heavens... upgrade the UI to something even close to resembling this decade already. Rant off... it looks like the upgrade path is via Corels website and that currently sits at $259 CAD for 2020.

Most of the other apps in the humble package have larger discounts via the app itself (ie: Painter 2021 is being offered for $174 in app, $269 via website and so on). CorelCAD does not, unfortunately.
That will probably change over the course of a year. I bought last year's bundle so had the 2019, but now have 2020 thus at some time during the year they must have "offered me a deal I couldn't resist" even though I wasn't really using the program.
Jul 27, 2018
160 posts
89 upvotes
I'm in the same boat.
My 6yr old is a pure creative (my opposite) and I need something to get him going.

I found a hiking but 300bucks was overkill.

Do I need these software to go with the 65$ tablet?
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
LeS91757 wrote: I'm in the same boat.
My 6yr old is a pure creative (my opposite) and I need something to get him going.

I found a hiking but 300bucks was overkill.

Do I need these software to go with the 65$ tablet?
As stated earlier there are multiple free options available when it comes to digital painting on Windows... Some are very good, some are meh. I personally really like Corel Painter as it has the most features when it comes to natural media and the ability to add new brushes, modify them in infinite ways and change the UI to fit your current illustration needs (different UI setups for different project types, etc). The best part about Corel Painter is the wholly unique brush engines. Their oil brushes are very realistic as they use an unique underlying engine for those type of thick media, etc. It is also very, very fast now as their brush engines are accelerated with the latest processors and your graphic card. There is rarely any slowdowns in what you see on screen compared to what you are drawing.

For watercolor, however, I'd very highly recommend trying out Escape Motions Rebelle 3. This is *amazing* watercolor software unlike any other on the market... you and your child will love it.

Overall, I'd highly recommend getting this Corel package at this very low price as you not only get the excellent Painter but also access to all the other apps which are very good too.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4696 posts
1111 upvotes
Scarborough
I have the 2019 version from the last bundle. Is it worth the upgrade. I'm hoping they release a bundle for VideoStudio.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2010
421 posts
260 upvotes
not sure if everyone already knew, but just an out of topic tips... if you want to take a screenshot quickly in Windows 10, just do Windows key + Shift + S then you can select a region (or freeform/full screen) and take a screenshot for photo editing.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
GateGuardian wrote: I have the 2019 version from the last bundle. Is it worth the upgrade. I'm hoping they release a bundle for VideoStudio.
In my opinion yes. Painter 2020 got a GPU and CPU accelerated brush engine that makes certain brushes that were laggy and some even unusable now as fast as you can stroke your brush. Some of them were frustrating in 2019 due to that lag and now are not. The UI improvements make it much easier to go back to your previous brush and a bunch of other QoL improvements. There are also a bunch of new brush packs included this year and some of them are very good (Mike Thompson brushes, etc). If you are at all in to CAD work, 3D design or 3D printing then CorelCAD is worth the upgrade alone... at least, on Windows. Some might not find this year worth it, however, so you'll have to go from there.

Here's a quick vid of the main new Painter 2020 features:
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1927 posts
3471 upvotes
tvisforme wrote: I've noticed the laggy behaviour in Painter 2019 and, to be honest, it's put me off the upgrade even for the low price. If Corel is aware of such an issue, as they clearly must be if you're saying that they fixed it for 2020, and yet they're prepared to leave it unfixed in the 2019 release, what does that say about them? (I'm not talking about new features, I wouldn't expect to get those for free for eternity. Basic flaws that impact functionality are different.
I don't think it says anything about them, personally. Its not like they advertised GPU accelerated brushes in earlier versions but didn't deliver... it hadn't been coded yet. I have no problem with any developer adding new features, whether that's a performance boost, UI streamlining, wholly new engines, etc and not back-porting said upgrades to previous versions. But that's just me and I hear what you're saying. There are tons of digital art programs on the market that have very slow and frustrating brushes without the fastest computers to run them... most of them, actually, in some brushes or other. Painter is one of the fastest on the market and, with 2020, is one of the fastest I've ever tried period.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2366 posts
650 upvotes
tvisforme wrote: I've noticed the laggy behaviour in Painter 2019 and, to be honest, it's put me off the upgrade even for the low price. If Corel is aware of such an issue, as they clearly must be if you're saying that they fixed it for 2020, and yet they're prepared to leave it unfixed in the 2019 release, what does that say about them? (I'm not talking about new features, I wouldn't expect to get those for free for eternity. Basic flaws that impact functionality are different.
Because they've released versions on Humbe Bundle and elsewhere for very cheap one time payments very single year, they have to give people reasons to upgrade. If its photoshop and you're paying monthly, the upgrades are included in the subscription. But feature upgrades like new brush engines etc are definitely not something they can afford to give away for free, or no one would upgrade. It's not a basic flaw, its a whole new brush engine internally.

Is it not cheap enough for you on humblebundle? You want it cheap, one time cost, and all the features of next year's for free too? Go figure out what the cost of a single year of photoshop is and tell me this is a bad deal.

Maybe you're a little entitled, and it says more about you than them.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2366 posts
650 upvotes
tvisforme wrote: Thanks for the thoughtful response. I'm also fine with new features being reserved for subsequent editions, it is the lag fix that strikes me as a no-brainer for "thanking" (if you will) your existing customer base.
It's not a "lag fix", its that some brushes were slower than other due to being more process intensive, and they rewrote the brush engine to get gpu acceleration, which is a new feature. The "lag" only applied to some cpu intensive brushes. It was working fine before. This isn't a fix, its a new feature.

And you not understanding whats involved led to you making claims about corel that isn't true. I have problems with Corel (mainly the pop up upgrade notification in "full" versions of software that is a PITA to turn off and shouldn't exist at all), but you claiming corel is holding back a "lag fix" just isn't true. That's not cheap, that you not understanding whats involved and demanding something because you want it.

Pay the $40 and get it, or don't. That's like 2 months of photoshop.
Last edited by spiralspirit on Oct 5th, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.