Hot Deals

[Humble] ROCKSMITH® 2014 (Game to learn to play Guitar) $11.99 (70% off)

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2019 9:20 am
Jun 25, 2005
501 posts
195 upvotes
If you get a version with a cable, you can use the cable as an audio interface for an iPad. Let’s you use amp modelling kits which sound pretty decent. Although it’s a bit harder now that they are removing headphone jacks.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2017
116 posts
90 upvotes
parzival wrote:
May 10th, 2019 12:35 pm
I agree, Rocksmith won't make you a great guitarist. It's fun to play with and can be great motivation for beginners, but ultimately you'll get the same results playing Rocksmith as you would just reading and playing with tablature. They real key is actually spending hours a day with a guitar in your hands.

If Rocksmith hooks you, then that's great—but the real success is just in playing regardless. I give less credit to Rocksmith for "teaching" this streamer to play and more credit to him being dedicated to playing. Cool that Rocksmith was his motivator, but honestly after a point he was doing it on his own. I don't think it takes very long before a halfway-competent player's ear is (or should be) more reliable than the true-tone cable and Rocksmith software.
The hooking part is pretty important if you want to stick to doing something new/challenging. But the real convenient and fun part of Rocksmith -- for me at least, and what makes it worth it, is that there is dynamic difficulty. I started with tablature myself, but I didn't have a lot of fun playing. You don't feel like you are part of the music. It's mostly just a struggle. Dynamic difficulty changes that. And then you have the Non-Stop play feature. That means I don't have to physically sit down at my computer and manually load tabs every time I want to play a new song. It just works. I can play for an hour with little to no interaction with the computer. I can play standing up for the entire length of the session, which is better for me as it means less back/neck pain, which makes a huge difference in how long I am willing to practice.

I don't have any experience with Guitarcade mode but apparently it's a lot of fun and helps you learn basic guitar techniques without having to search for them and decide on what is a worthy exercise and what isn't. It takes the research and guesswork out of the equation and you just get to have fun training with a high score points system.
Last edited by Senescence on May 10th, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aug 15, 2014
42 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I already have a USB interface for my guitar. Can that work with this game?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6337 posts
3139 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
I'll give an automatic thumbs up for anything which is an actual teaching aid to play a REAL GUITAR vs plastic Guitar Hero/Rock Band stuff!

Who knows, it may produce the next guitar legend...lord knows we need one with the amount of the lazy computer generated synthetic crap people are passing off as music these days.
Dec 14, 2015
21 posts
19 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
montyhall wrote:
May 10th, 2019 1:33 pm
This is pretty cool. Anyone have recommendations on a beginner guitar?
Epiphone LP special II. You can get one for under 200$ new. It was the first guitar I got and even though I have a Gibson LP standard and studio, I still use the epiphone the most. I even managed to get a brand new spare one for under 100$. It's lighter and not as thick as the Gibsons so it ends up just being more comfortable.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3078 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
Stock R wrote:
May 10th, 2019 1:23 pm
Just bought this game... Again. I now own 3 copies on 3 platforms. Now if only I had time to play :(
lol - I havent bought this one yet but i am thinking about it even though i have it on ps3 and dont ever play it. I really, really want to someday though !
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3078 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
Woah! wrote:
May 10th, 2019 2:20 pm
I'll give an automatic thumbs up for anything which is an actual teaching aid to play a REAL GUITAR vs plastic Guitar Hero/Rock Band stuff!

Who knows, it may produce the next guitar legend...lord knows we need one with the amount of the lazy computer generated synthetic crap people are passing off as music these days.
dude we get your hate for rock band/guitar hero but give it a break.

ever think that some people may not want to play an actual guitar but love music and playing video games ??
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6337 posts
3139 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
dchabby wrote:
May 10th, 2019 4:03 pm
dude we get your hate for rock band/guitar hero but give it a break.

ever think that some people may not want to play an actual guitar but love music and playing video games ??
Sensitive much?
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3078 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
KT2312 wrote:
May 10th, 2019 9:33 pm
Do you need an amp for this?
no
Jul 1, 2009
107 posts
160 upvotes
KT2312 wrote:
May 10th, 2019 9:33 pm
Do you need an amp for this?
Your headphones / speakers on your PC, Laptop or, preferably, a hooked up great receiver and speaker system are your "amp" in Rocksmith. It models thousands of guitar pedals, heads and amp boxes as well as the endless lessons and games (and a very fun and competent auto backing "band" that plays multi instruments at your tempo for solo-ing to your hearts content). You really get a great deal of content here for very little outlay.

I introduced Rocksmith original to my eldest daughter and she learned how to play with it years ago and now my 10 year old youngest daughter uses 2014 every week in her "lessons". It really does work by keeping them highly interested with tons of fun methods and thousands of custom songs (the "discipline" to actually stick with it comes from me). Best of all, we all LOVE jamming together in Rocksmith as a family (and because of it the "real" world now, too). Highly recommended as a parent of a family into music.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
3882 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, I have Xbox one version, may get a copy for PC as well, even though I didn’t play a lot on my Xbox one.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
May 4, 2016
13 posts
3 upvotes
Hi everyone,

I also found the original edition at 8.99$ CAD: Fanatical - Rocksmith

I think I will buy it and give it a shot with my old electric guitar collecting dust. Does anyone have a good suggestion for free complementary courses (techniques, fingers placement ?).