Hot Deals

[Humble] ROCKSMITH® 2014 (Game to learn to play Guitar) $11.99 (70% off)

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2019 9:20 am
Jul 1, 2009
107 posts
160 upvotes
Niitro wrote:
May 11th, 2019 11:07 am
Hi everyone,

I also found the original edition at 8.99$ CAD: Fanatical - Rocksmith

I think I will buy it and give it a shot with my old electric guitar collecting dust. Does anyone have a good suggestion for free complementary courses (techniques, fingers placement ?).
I wouldn't suggest the original Rocksmith anymore... its too limited in many ways. Rocksmith 2014 is the way to go (specially at these prices).

As for courses: Youtube is downright amazing in this day and age for learning just about any instrument. There are so, so many good free lessons from hundreds of musicians who just love to teach. Pick a style and search away: you'll find what you want / need. I learned to play in the 70's and 80's by ear - play, rewind, play, practice, repeat. Today's learners have it freakin made.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2327 posts
303 upvotes
Niitro wrote:
May 11th, 2019 11:07 am
Hi everyone,

I also found the original edition at 8.99$ CAD: Fanatical - Rocksmith

I think I will buy it and give it a shot with my old electric guitar collecting dust. Does anyone have a good suggestion for free complementary courses (techniques, fingers placement ?).
Justin Guitar came up as the #1 suggestion time and time again when I looked for free courses, so that's what Ive been working through. Haven't made it very far yet (stopped at Getting Minor to work on the 1 minute chord changes), so havent done enough to give a real opinion, but Im happy with what Ive seen so far.
May 4, 2016
13 posts
3 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote:
May 11th, 2019 11:47 am
I wouldn't suggest the original Rocksmith anymore... its too limited in many ways. Rocksmith 2014 is the way to go (specially at these prices).

As for courses: Youtube is downright amazing in this day and age for learning just about any instrument. There are so, so many good free lessons from hundreds of musicians who just love to teach. Pick a style and search away: you'll find what you want / need. I learned to play in the 70's and 80's by ear - play, rewind, play, practice, repeat. Today's learners have it freakin made.
Allright thanks ! I will go with 2014 edition for sure. Also, I will try CustomForge to get more songs to play !
Jan 21, 2010
68 posts
25 upvotes
If anyone wants to buy a cable off me PM. $20 in GTA.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2327 posts
303 upvotes
If you're near Brantford, Channel Control had cables last I was in there. Anywhere from $8 to $24 depending on what kind of discount they have on electronics at the time you visit (40% off is by far most common, so $24 is the usual price, but sometimes they do 50%, 60%, or even 80% but that's pretty rare)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8299 posts
981 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote:
May 11th, 2019 11:47 am

Agree. Get the 2014. Lead and rhythm + bass makes it a necessary upgrade.
GSRee wrote:
May 11th, 2019 1:18 pm
If you're near Brantford, Channel Control had cables last I was in there. Anywhere from $8 to $24 depending on what kind of discount they have on electronics at the time you visit (40% off is by far most common, so $24 is the usual price, but sometimes they do 50%, 60%, or even 80% but that's pretty rare)
Gotta watch the cable is compatible. On the ps4 version at least there's some proprietary signal behind the conversion. A 1/4" to USB is directly compatible.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6656 posts
2720 upvotes
Toronto
Something people may want to know that I haven't seen mentioned is that the game doesn't work well if you're using any type of HDMI audio, digital receiver, wireless headset etc. You have to use the on board audio controller on your PC with the speakers/headphones connected directly to the main output. May or may not be a hassle depending on your setup.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1386 posts
149 upvotes
Whitby
I'd also grab the original Rocksmith if available. It will allow you to play the song library in Rocksmith 2014 minus a couple of songs.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2017
116 posts
90 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
May 11th, 2019 2:14 pm
Something people may want to know that I haven't seen mentioned is that the game doesn't work well if you're using any type of HDMI audio, digital receiver, wireless headset etc. You have to use the on board audio controller on your PC with the speakers/headphones connected directly to the main output. May or may not be a hassle depending on your setup.
Actually, this is probably gear dependent. I found that turning off the LipSync feature on my Denon amp removed the extra latency from HDMI audio. No problem anymore. (It was unplayable before switching this off).
Sep 4, 2006
467 posts
86 upvotes
I too have it on PS3, PS4 and PC. If you have PS3 and 4, buy your games on PS3, and you get them free on PS4. It doesn't work the other way. On PC, you can add thousands of custom made songs. Easy.
Jul 1, 2009
107 posts
160 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
May 11th, 2019 2:14 pm
While this can be an issue on some setups, as stated above there are ways to get it really close to little latency with many systems. If you can run analog from your PC to your receiver for the audio (line out to RCA input) that is the best option but it also pays to enter direct mode on your receiver even if you have HDMI alone. This is available on most receivers and bypasses all onboard processing (odyssey, etc). This can be called "Stereo Direct", "Pure Direct" or other names depending on brand. As for the TV, hooking up your PC's HDMI out to the TVs "Game" or "PC" HDMI in, if it has one, bypasses a lot of your TV processing as well. If one doesn't have those specific types of inputs you can often choose a "Game" or "PC" mode through your TV menus that'll also bypass most processing if set on generic HDMI 1 or 2. A lot of the higher end TVs these days, from LCD to OLED, have pretty low latency numbers if you're in these modes. Finally, Rocksmith 2014 has a pretty decent latency reducing setting in its setup options where you match up what you see on screen with what you hear from your system. When it all comes together you can play even the quickest metal songs with little issue (sounding amazing coming through a great receiver and stereo / sub speaker setup).
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2007
1599 posts
140 upvotes
York Region
Elrondolio wrote:
May 13th, 2019 8:45 am
While this can be an issue on some setups, as stated above there are ways to get it really close to little latency with many systems. If you can run analog from your PC to your receiver for the audio (line out to RCA input) that is the best option but it also pays to enter direct mode on your receiver even if you have HDMI alone. This is available on most receivers and bypasses all onboard processing (odyssey, etc). This can be called "Stereo Direct", "Pure Direct" or other names depending on brand. As for the TV, hooking up your PC's HDMI out to the TVs "Game" or "PC" HDMI in, if it has one, bypasses a lot of your TV processing as well. If one doesn't have those specific types of inputs you can often choose a "Game" or "PC" mode through your TV menus that'll also bypass most processing if set on generic HDMI 1 or 2. A lot of the higher end TVs these days, from LCD to OLED, have pretty low latency numbers if you're in these modes. Finally, Rocksmith 2014 has a pretty decent latency reducing setting in its setup options where you match up what you see on screen with what you hear from your system. When it all comes together you can play even the quickest metal songs with little issue (sounding amazing coming through a great receiver and stereo / sub speaker setup).
Thanks for this, have it on my PS4 but there was delay every time I struck a chord it and it got so frustrating that I gave up on it. Was using it with my Denon receiver and will give it another go!
If it works I may consider buying a second copy to play through my PC for this price.
Purchase from a trusted RFD (seller & buyer) 100% positive feedback. Your assured for a safe and clean transaction. Located in the York Region. Can ship at your expense if paying by EMT, please no trades-PM is the key!
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2008
1209 posts
27 upvotes
scarborough
If anyone is interested I have a Jackson Kelly Electric Guitar in Great condition. Just don't have time to play anymore. Comes with case, tuner and one of those cables to plug into the computer too.
Jul 1, 2009
107 posts
160 upvotes
knightwrangler wrote:
May 13th, 2019 10:33 am
Thanks for this, have it on my PS4 but there was delay every time I struck a chord it and it got so frustrating that I gave up on it. Was using it with my Denon receiver and will give it another go!
If it works I may consider buying a second copy to play through my PC for this price.
No problem, I hope it works out on your system. Don't forget you can disable Dolby Digital / DTS mode on your PS4 as well to remove even more latency on top of everywhere else. If you really want to get in to Rocksmith 2014 I highly recommend the PC version as it supports thousands of free custom songs through CustomsForge (you can take a look at whats available by doing a CDLC Search at the site). CustomsForge Song Manager is indispensable in organizing your massive library of songs on the PC if you go that route. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
1557 posts
1370 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
will this get me groupies? In for 10 if yes. Lol thnx OP

Also, its available on xbox one at ebgames for 49.99 but it comes with the plug which has a 39.99 value. I cant seem to find any on the map in stock, and no store pick ups available, but i am very certain i have seen these in the stores a few days ago, just didnt pay attention to pricing.

https://www.ebgames.ca/Platform/Games/725488