• Jan 20th, 2018 3:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8728 posts
1817 upvotes
London

Hunting for a used Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4, what to look for? TIA

Last time I bought a used car was back in the 80's. My 94 Honda Accord still running fine but my 01 Infinti QX4 is dying, sub frame rust that need to be fix (sub frame holding the passenger side front suspension is broken) so thinking of buying either a Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4 to replace it. Looking at 2008-2010, budget is no more than $10,000 on the road, going to pay in cash, not going to do financing since I am half retired.

Last year about the same time, the computer of the QX4 burnt due to Idle Air Control Valve failed and costed me about $1,200 to fix.

Anyway, what to look for and be aware for used Honda CRV or Toyota Rav4? Thanks. I'll also consider other makes.
6 replies
Oct 30, 2007
60 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Speaking from experience as I used to own a 2008 Rav4 sport (4cyl) stay away from the 2.4l it has serious oil cosumption issues! I believe in 09 or 10 toyota introduced the 2.5l it doesn't have the oil consumption issue. Also, the 4wd has a rear differential leak from the seals and; will end up requiring a rebuild. I believe toyota extended the warranty to 9 years on this item.

My 2 cents.....
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8728 posts
1817 upvotes
London
luigino30 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 7:12 pm
Speaking from experience as I used to own a 2008 Rav4 sport (4cyl) stay away from the 2.4l it has serious oil cosumption issues! I believe in 09 or 10 toyota introduced the 2.5l it doesn't have the oil consumption issue. Also, the 4wd has a rear differential leak from the seals and; will end up requiring a rebuild. I believe toyota extended the warranty to 9 years on this item.

My 2 cents.....
Thanks, I'll just look at Honda then.
Banned
Jul 31, 2016
437 posts
254 upvotes
The rav4s have better reliability in most areas over the crvs. 2005-2006 crvs would be what to look for on the lower end. They still suffer from the a/c compressor overheating due to its placement in the engine bay.

The 2006 rav4 comes in V6. Absolutely love driving it. The 2007 and 2008 of both models are garbage. The Rav4 2009+ are fantastic. The CRV from 2009 are okay too.

Good luck.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8728 posts
1817 upvotes
London
TicoGato wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 12:34 am
The rav4s have better reliability in most areas over the crvs. 2005-2006 crvs would be what to look for on the lower end. They still suffer from the a/c compressor overheating due to its placement in the engine bay.

The 2006 rav4 comes in V6. Absolutely love driving it. The 2007 and 2008 of both models are garbage. The Rav4 2009+ are fantastic. The CRV from 2009 are okay too.

Good luck.
I am looking at this, what do you think and what should I look for? How about price? Thanks. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lon ... nFlag=true
Banned
Jul 31, 2016
437 posts
254 upvotes
apvm wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 7:04 am
I am looking at this, what do you think and what should I look for? How about price? Thanks. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lon ... nFlag=true
Thats a great starting point.

Things to ask before you go see it...

1. Do they have the Used Vehicle Package (to check for outstanding loans on the vehicle)
2. Do they have any recent maintenance records to support what they said about the brakes in the ad?
3. Ask for the VIN number, run a Carproof before you see it. Check for accidents and service history.

When you go check it out...
1. Test all power options, note if any of the windows open or closer slower than the others.
2. Check all four tires, make sure they are all matching. Buy a $5 tread gauge from Canadian tire, you want at least 6/32" of an inch remaining AT minimum.
3. Test drive the vehicle, do a hard acceleration and hard braking. Warn the seller before you do both of these things.
4. How well does the Automatic tranny shift gears? Does it downshift smoothly when going up a steep hill?
5. Make sure you drive the car at highway speeds. Note any rattles or vibrations from the brakes and steering wheel.

The price for that vehicle is a fair starting point. If you managed to buy it for anything under $5000, I'd say you did very well for yourself.
May 17, 2017
291 posts
187 upvotes
Waterloo
apvm wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 7:04 am
The only thing that goes wrong on these early V6 models is that there's an oil line that likes to leak a not insignificant amount of oil.
It should be preventatively replaced with the later revised all metal tube.