Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1065 posts
1723 upvotes
Alberta

HUP on Koodo, post 8/25

People who maintain active service on Koodo and upgrade more than once every 24 months will want to know how they will be impacted by yesterday's changes in Koodo phone subsidy and tab balance calculation.

When the facts on early upgrades become available please update here, so the changes can be easily found by all.

To be clear, in the case of service cancellation the billed out device balance (ECF) can be no more than (retail price - upfront payment)/24 x (months remaining).
(in accordance with Wireless Code G.2.)
66 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1065 posts
1723 upvotes
Alberta
https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/ ... em-changes

Update August 26, 2019: A Koodo spokesperson issued the following statement:

Over the past two years, Koodo has noticed an increase in the number of customers who activate new devices on our network when a phone credit is available, then cancel their service within days to turn a quick profit. As a result, we are adjusting our service agreements to require customers to pay back the phone credit when they choose to leave their 24-month agreement early. If a customer chooses to cancel or renew any time before the 24-month agreement is complete, they would have to pay back the phone credit that is owed for the remainder of the months. While the majority of customers abide by the agreement terms, we are implementing these changes to address a small subset of customers gaming the system.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1065 posts
1723 upvotes
Alberta
So whether it's a service cancellation or an early upgrade, the device balance will be billied out, calculated as the full retail price of the phone (less any upfront payment) prorated for the months remaining in the 24-month commitment.

To be blunt, the phone-flip profiteers have screwed early upgrades for the rest of us.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9635 posts
725 upvotes
Markham
Yeah, that's the part that frustrates me the most on Koodo, I liked having the option to get a new phone every 1 year or so by paying off the "tab", now if I do so I'd have to pay off the "phone credit" as well. I didn't always take advantage of the option, but now that flexibility is gone, and if I get a new device I'll be tied down for 2 years.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2871 posts
1340 upvotes
Mississauga
It seems we loose the option to switch plans if a better one comes around. So what happens if I pay off the phone tab 12 months into my 24 month contract; and switch to a different or cheaper Koodo plan. Will they still claw back this phone credit?
Hairball wrote: Yeah, that's the part that frustrates me the most on Koodo, I liked having the option to get a new phone every 1 year or so by paying off the "tab", now if I do so I'd have to pay off the "phone credit" as well. I didn't always take advantage of the option, but now that flexibility is gone, and if I get a new device I'll be tied down for 2 years.
Same here, I loved that flexibility which was one of the reasons I moved (Wife and myself) from Fido to Koodo. We are still happily rocking an iPhone 8 so not looking to switch to the latest tech every year or so.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5416 posts
3856 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I'm sure if you had a good standing history with Koodo, they'll waive the activation credit if you genuinely wanted to upgrade or take advantage of offers. Part of negotiation.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2291 posts
1333 upvotes
Calgary
You'd be fine switching to a cheaper plan (as long as it still worked on the tab you got the phone with). When changing plans you're not "renewing"
Feb 23, 2018
16 posts
10 upvotes
pretty stupid move by Koodo. That was their competitive advantage. should have gone with something like 1 year not 2 years. Nothing makes them stand out at this point. Time to start looking elsewhere for a deal.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
15048 posts
3988 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Unless we have something like $60 15GB in the next two years, I have no incentive to switch. The iPhone XR flash sale got me good. Well played Koodo. Maybe they'll cut people who upgrade every year some slack once the complaints roll in. It worked for Public Mobile users.
Spending too much money thanks to RFD
Aug 1, 2013
435 posts
344 upvotes
The Lower Mainland
hvwozq wrote: It is not difficult to understand. This is not a new concept. Just look at what all the other providers have been doing for years, and now Koodo is doing the same. So why stay with Koodo? Go with Fido or Virgin and get extra benefits.
I'd love to switch away for better features but I'm stuck on this PM migration plan. 6gb for $40 a month and I can't quite get that anywhere else at the moment. Once I find something, I'm definitely switching though.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5650 posts
3569 upvotes
Chris9446 wrote: I'd love to switch away for better features but I'm stuck on this PM migration plan. 6gb for $40 a month and I can't quite get that anywhere else at the moment. Once I find something, I'm definitely switching though.
You can. Go get the $10 Lucky Mobile plan. Wait a few weeks. They will give you an offer to switch to Virgin Mobile $40 6 GB. You will get member benefits, a mobile app, and the best customer service according to J.D. Power instead of a stupid bot.
Aug 1, 2013
435 posts
344 upvotes
The Lower Mainland
hvwozq wrote: You can. Go get the $10 Lucky Mobile plan. Wait a few weeks. They will give you an offer to switch to Virgin Mobile $40 6 GB. You will get member benefits, a mobile app, and the best customer service according to J.D. Power instead of a stupid bot.
How sure are you of this happening? It seems very YMMV
Apr 7, 2007
684 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto
It's not YMMV. As long as your account is open for 35-40 days I think, you're eligible to migrate to Virgin.
Last edited by H8TR on Aug 26th, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
1795 posts
1972 upvotes
Lucky sim is $4
Virgin charges a $40 account setup fee

And their service is horrible

The lock the SIM card to the IMEI and it cannot be used in any other device
Chris9446 wrote: How sure are you of this happening? It seems very YMMV
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7635 posts
5142 upvotes
Canada
gamer602 wrote:
The lock the SIM card to the IMEI and it cannot be used in any other device
Wtf

For real?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20919 posts
9182 upvotes
Toronto
pjw918 wrote: So whether it's a service cancellation or an early upgrade, the device balance will be billied out, calculated as the full retail price of the phone (less any upfront payment) prorated for the months remaining in the 24-month commitment.

To be blunt, the phone-flip profiteers have screwed early upgrades for the rest of us.
According to Koodo, anyone who tries to get phones at frequency greater than 24 months is a phone flipper.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1065 posts
1723 upvotes
Alberta
will888 wrote: According to Koodo, anyone who tries to get phones at frequency greater than 24 months is a phone flipper.
Clearly, that's not what Koodo said in their statment.
Over the past two years, Koodo has noticed an increase in the number of customers who activate new devices on our network when a phone credit is available, then cancel their service within days to turn a quick profit. As a result,...

While the majority of customers abide by the agreement terms, we are implementing these changes to address a small subset of customers gaming the system.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9635 posts
725 upvotes
Markham
I do agree that if they allow reset the "phone credit" after 6 months or even 12, that would make me very happy. The option to get a new phone at any time by paying off your "tab" was the biggest benefit Koodo offered over the other companies.