Cell Phones

HUP on Koodo, post 8/25

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2019 5:53 pm
Tags:
Nov 8, 2008
801 posts
972 upvotes
Hairball wrote: I do agree that if they allow reset the "phone credit" after 6 months or even 12, that would make me very happy. The option to get a new phone at any time by paying off your "tab" was the biggest benefit Koodo offered over the other companies.
One of my lines is a Fido line. To be honest, they've never hesitated to waive the remainder of my device subsidy/tab balance ~6-8 months before the end of a service term to put me into a new tab. It's just not in writing. I wouldn't be surprised if Koodo did the same.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9700 posts
762 upvotes
Markham
carsncars wrote: One of my lines is a Fido line. To be honest, they've never hesitated to waive the remainder of my device subsidy/tab balance ~6-8 months before the end of a service term to put me into a new tab. It's just not in writing. I wouldn't be surprised if Koodo did the same.
Oh really, interesting. I guess we'll see since Koodo is just instituting this device subsidy. Maybe it isn't so bad if you've been a real customer.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
24647 posts
14186 upvotes
Toronto
pjw918 wrote: Clearly, that's not what Koodo said in their statment.
Then why did they change the terms to require a 24 month reset interval? Their old terms used to allow customers to pay off the tab every 90 days which to me is an indication that buying a new phone every 90 days is totally fine. So, put in a 90 day interval into the terms and only block those who sign and run the next day.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1108 posts
509 upvotes
Corunna, ON
Because they were also losing money on people who would pay off their device balance after 90 days to go buy another subsidiesed device.
Sep 23, 2014
686 posts
1002 upvotes
Toronto, ON
proplayer44 wrote: Because they were also losing money on people who would pay off their device balance after 90 days to go buy another subsidiesed device.
How do you know Koodo is losing money?? Pls show proof.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1108 posts
509 upvotes
Corunna, ON
LockAndKey wrote: How do you know Koodo is losing money?? Pls show proof.
The policy change is the proof. They want more business, they don't make policy changes that effect their profits for fun. It's not some conspiracy theory.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
proplayer44 wrote: The policy change is the proof. They want more business, they don't make policy changes that effect their profits for fun. It's not some conspiracy theory.
If people flee en masse, Koodo may be losing money under new policy :)
Sep 23, 2014
686 posts
1002 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tichi wrote: If people flee en masse, Koodo may be losing money under new policy :)
Exactly, now ppl have no incentive to stay with Koodo. Trust me they make alot more money from your monthly plan than device upgrade.
Nov 9, 2006
475 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
proplayer44 wrote: The policy change is the proof. They want more business, they don't make policy changes that effect their profits for fun. It's not some conspiracy theory.
If this were true, why was koodo encouraging me to upgrade my phone ($150 bill credits) just months after I upgraded my phone. If Koodo was losing money on people upgrading phones, the first step would have been to stop sending text messages to customers offering them deals if they upgraded.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
24647 posts
14186 upvotes
Toronto
cfedu wrote: If this were true, why was koodo encouraging me to upgrade my phone ($150 bill credits) just months after I upgraded my phone. If Koodo was losing money on people upgrading phones, the first step would have been to stop sending text messages to customers offering them deals if they upgraded.
Well, they want to have their cake and eat it too.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2891 posts
1892 upvotes
Moon
LockAndKey wrote: Exactly, now ppl have no incentive to stay with Koodo. Trust me they make alot more money from your monthly plan than device upgrade.
Most people abusing this policy are not koodo customers anyways, of the koodo customers a very small % was upgrading then paying of their tabs and then upgrading again.
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1678 posts
793 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't know how badly this will affect Koodo, considering the other second-tier brands are doing the same. But, it certainly isn't going to be a good thing for them.

I didn't do any "churning", but it was nice to have the option to get a new phone at a reasonable price (without being tied into high cancellation fees) and one of the reasons I stayed with Koodo vs switching to Public Mobile. So, I may have gotten a new phone every year on both of my lines and maybe kept it or passed it on to a family member. Now, there really isn't much of an incentive to stay. The phones that they sell on Tab M or Tab S (iPhone 6s/7/8, Pixel 3a) etc are not high end phones and I doubt they were eating too much of a loss there compared to the the income from monthly bills from regular customers.

They should've been smarter about this and made sure the rules were tighter on higher end phones and gift cards etc. I guess there's still hope that they'll be selective with how they discount mid-range phones; maybe the discount will be outright with no "phone credit" so it'll still make it a good deal for regular non-churning customers.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3949 posts
3984 upvotes
Muskoka
As others have sort of mentioned, I think Koodo will waive the Phone Credit if you only have 6 or so months left and you want to upgrade, along with paying off your Tab.

But we will not know this for another year or so. But staying for 18months is much different than staying for 90 days - or less.
Public Mobile
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13084 posts
4395 upvotes
lol, except there isn't else where for "deals"
dealhunter96 wrote: pretty stupid move by Koodo. That was their competitive advantage. should have gone with something like 1 year not 2 years. Nothing makes them stand out at this point. Time to start looking elsewhere for a deal.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13084 posts
4395 upvotes
LOL you ppl are delusional.

The #1 reason ppl stay with koodo is because of the plans/loop holes they have.

The phone tabs with credit they had before were just icing on top.
Tichi wrote:
If people flee en masse, Koodo may be losing money under new policy :)
LockAndKey wrote: Exactly, now ppl have no incentive to stay with Koodo. Trust me they make alot more money from your monthly plan than device upgrade.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1992 posts
1142 upvotes
sexyj wrote: LOL you ppl are delusional.

Don't forget they've got a history of not jacking up the prices unlike other carriers.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
sexyj wrote: LOL you ppl are delusional.

No more loopholes. Cancellation fees are higher on Koodo now wrt e.g. Fido.

Plans (if ure lucky to have a good one with Koodo), yes, for now, but let us see what the overall balance will be. As of now, there are good incentives to jump Koodo.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14944 posts
11379 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
rip Koodo

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
13084 posts
4395 upvotes
LOL, let me know when rogers and bell have better plans

I'm guessing you are bitter because you are one of those phone flippers
Tichi wrote: No more loopholes. Cancellation fees are higher on Koodo now wrt e.g. Fido.

Plans (if ure lucky to have a good one with Koodo), yes, for now, but let us see what the overall balance will be. As of now, there are good incentives to jump Koodo.