Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31941 posts
8260 upvotes
GTHA

Husky gas stations in Ontario require to pay before fuelling up

Customers must pre-pay at Ontario Husky gas stations starting Thursday
http://toronto.citynews.ca/2017/11/15/c ... -thursday/
Starting Thursday, customers at Husky gas stations in Ontario will be required to pay before fuelling up, either in the store or at the pump.

Husky Energy says it believes requiring customers to pre-pay will minimize risks to gas station staff associated with fuel payments.

Spokesman Mel Duvall says this follows a successful pilot in Edmonton last year.

The program has been rolled out in the rest of Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba over the past two months.

The Alberta government introduced mandatory pre-pay legislation last month in the wake of the deaths of five gas station workers in gas-and-dash incidents in the province over the last three years.
Anyone pump gas at Husky stations? Would you go to another station that does not need require this?
Last edited by tk1000 on Nov 15th, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
72 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10090 posts
1454 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know why people wouldn't prepay at the pump. Way more convenient than having to go in and pay. Especially if there's a line-up. I've been prepaying for ages now so no big deal for me.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
1755 posts
585 upvotes
VANCOUVER
We have this in most if not all stations in Vancouver. It's really not a big deal. Faster for you, prevents gas and dash, safer for the clerk depending on time of day.

Also, for those wondering why BC implemented this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... s-1.616126

"The B.C. government plans to introduce aregulation to help protect gas station attendants from "gas-and-dash" crimes.

"Grant's law" will require urban gas stations inB.C. to have a mandatory pre-pay system in operation at night.

Labour Minister Olga Ilich made the announcement Wednesday at the B.C. legislature, surroundedby the family of Grant De Patie.

De Patie was killed in March 2005 while trying to stop a fleeing motorist from stealing $12 worth of gas from a service station in Maple Ridge, B.C. He was struck and dragged to his death."
Last edited by DDHLeigh on Nov 15th, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 1, 2004
865 posts
271 upvotes
Markham
This is also faster for everyone during busy periods. I hate being behind something thinking they are almost done and then they go inside to pay, taking up to 5 minutes longer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6948 posts
2869 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Already pay at the pump through pre-authorization. I don't remember the last time I stepped into the gas bar.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10090 posts
1454 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 9:34 pm
Already pay at the pump through pre-authorization. I don't remember the last time I stepped into the gas bar.
Now with the tap at many gas stations, it's even easier!
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3392 posts
618 upvotes
London
DDHLeigh wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 9:28 pm

De Patie was killed in March 2005 while trying to stop a fleeing motorist from stealing $12 worth of gas from a service station in Maple Ridge, B.C. He was struck and dragged to his death."
omg this is so painful to read. we are effing animals.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3392 posts
618 upvotes
London
I cant remember the last time i post paid - I totally get the need for it just to prevent theft - never mind heinous murders for a tank of gas or less. we should just give up the planet to be honest.
Dec 3, 2007
351 posts
27 upvotes
Hate it when the pre-pay doesn't work and I have to go in. Waste of time, waste of other peoples' time as they wait for me to be done.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21304 posts
2192 upvotes
They are getting ready for the minimum wage increase.
Jan 4, 2010
261 posts
94 upvotes
Waterloo
I don't remember the last time I had to go in and pay for gas. Maybe to buy a car wash yes. I get my gas at costco now too so tap and go.
soon everything is just gonna be automatic and you gonna have roof covered vending machines for snacks and drink.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1586 posts
430 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 9:34 pm
Same for me, though once in a while I need to go in because the pump's printer is out of paper
Yes, I know #firstworldproblems but it defeats the purpose of paying at the pump when it happens
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45945 posts
12300 upvotes
EV boys haven't sullied this thread. Thank goodness.