[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1078 posts
271 upvotes
Vancouver

HVAC Central AC - just turn on fan

I have a central AC.

Instead of turning on the AC, I have the option to just turn on the fan from the fan coil unit WITHOUT turning on the AC.

The purpose is to save on energy cost as the fan is sufficient for cooling purposes most the time.

Is there any issue if I just turn on the fan coil unit WITHOUT turning on the AC for long-term use?

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4187 posts
2118 upvotes
This just starts the furnace blower and circulates the air within the house. Moving air usually feels cooler.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2776 posts
1137 upvotes
Woodbridge
I will assume you are referring to the FAN which is inbuilt in the furnace. If so, it is absolutely safe to run the fan only as it will cool down the house and helps with even distribution of air. If you are referring to the fan on AC ( also called as condenser coil ), than its not a good idea as it does not help to distribute air in anyway. It just dissipate the heat generated from compressor. If I misunderstood you, please share some pic for better answer.
Fantastical wrote: I have a central AC.

Instead of turning on the AC, I have the option to just turn on the fan from the fan coil unit WITHOUT turning on the AC.

The purpose is to save on energy cost as the fan is sufficient for cooling purposes most the time.

Is there any issue if I just turn on the fan coil unit WITHOUT turning on the AC for long-term use?

Thanks
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Furnace & Central AC Group Buy 2021
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2417 posts
419 upvotes
Kitchener
I'd describe it more as circulating air around the home vs cooling the home. It can help move cooler air from your basement and distribute it around. It doesn't remove humidity or cool the air.

If your furnace is newer and you change your filter regularly it's a good idea to stay on. Newer furnaces have efficient motors that won't cost much to run. Might as well circulate some filtered air!

If the furnace is older or you neglect the filters it might not be a great Idea.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1078 posts
271 upvotes
Vancouver
The condensing coil, located outside, is not running when i turn on the fan.

It's this unit in the pic - The Carrier fan coil unit (the upper unit) on top of the AC evaporator coil that is running and creating the air flow around the house through the AC ducts.

I think it should be fine running that continuously without the AC?
It does help cool the house without incurring much electricity cost.
Images
  • 20210601_230324370_iOS.jpg
Oct 19, 2020
557 posts
351 upvotes
GTA
Fantastical wrote: The condensing coil, located outside, is not running when i turn on the fan.

It's this unit in the pic - The Carrier fan coil unit (the upper unit) on top of the AC evaporator coil that is running and creating the air flow around the house through the AC ducts.

I think it should be fine running that continuously without the AC?
It does help cool the house without incurring much electricity cost.
Will not cause problems - helps make the house more comfortable by re-distributing already cool air.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4963 posts
1494 upvotes
0 downvotes
Yes we do this all the time, having the furnace fan running helps improve air flow and makes the house more comfortable
Hi