• Sep 18th, 2019 9:06 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3407 posts
2190 upvotes
Toronto

[HVAC] Ecobee3 + HRV wiring blew furnace fuse

I recently installed the Ecobee3 Lite and had everything setup the way it was instructed. Everything worked perfectly, it was working for the first 3 days I installed it. The A/C and fan were turning on correctly and it was all good.

However yesterday I turned on my HRV unit as I didn't test that to see if everything was working correctly. It was not…the HRV turned on, but the fan on the furnace did not. I checked, and my Ecobee was off. I took a look online and someone said to check if the furnace board fuse blew…and it did. There was a big black mark in the middle of the 3 amp fuse.

When I was first wiring the PEK from the Ecobee3, I did notice there was only one "G" wire to control the furnace fan which I found very odd.

The original HVAC company (Applewood) seems to have connected the fan wire running from the thermostat with the fan wire running from the HRV together and jumped it with another wire straight to the control board.

I called Ecobee support before installing and they said there should be no issues.

Well clearly something happened, because the fuse blew on the board. There are two things I think that may have caused the fuse the blow.

1) The HRV and PEK are both connected to the "R" terminal on the furnace control board. When I opened up to take a look, I noticed the HRV wire (in the "R" terminal) was a bit loose (seems like I didn't tighten it enough) so could that have short the fuse?

2) The inter-connected G wire isn't meant to be put into the PEK perhaps. I called Ecobee support again and they said the thermostat should only be connected to the PEK. I can then connect the PEK G wire and the HRV G wire separately into the G terminal. I don't know why there are wires interconnected with the thermostat (via a wire nut). Is this normal? I am still not even sure if the two wires connected together with the thermostat and HRV are truly the "G" wire. All I know is they are connected and there was only one G wire prior to installing the Ecobee.

Here is a diagram I tried to put together to make sense:

Side note: Is it okay to have 3 wires connected to the Comm/24V terminal? Currently I have the Ecobee3 PEK C-wire, my humidifier, and A/C. The PEK C-wire and humidifier are really close to each other in the terminal. This didn't cause the shortage as my humidifier is off and the Ecobee3 was working fine before, but just wanted to check for the winter.
Last edited by redkulat on Jun 29th, 2017 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1659 upvotes
Had the same problem. I blew the fuse on the furnace motor, shit my pants, but with Google I figured it out and bought a new fuse at Canadian Tire for cheap. What I did was, I didn't bother using the HRV with ecobee. I just couldn't get it to work, and Ecobee didn't really help much. My HRV turns on, and my furnace motor turns on, so I left it at that.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3407 posts
2190 upvotes
Toronto
aquariaguy wrote: Had the same problem. I blew the fuse on the furnace motor, shit my pants, but with Google I figured it out and bought a new fuse at Canadian Tire for cheap. What I did was, I didn't bother using the HRV with ecobee. I just couldn't get it to work, and Ecobee didn't really help much. My HRV turns on, and my furnace motor turns on, so I left it at that.
Thanks for the reply. So I actually bought the Ecobee3 Lite which doesn't support the HRV.

It looks like the HRV and thermostat G wire are connected together and a jumper wire goes into the G slot.

Do you know if your HRV and Ecobee3 are separately connected to the G terminal?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1659 upvotes
redkulat wrote: Thanks for the reply. So I actually bought the Ecobee3 Lite which doesn't support the HRV.

It looks like the HRV and thermostat G wire are connected together and a jumper wire goes into the G slot.

Do you know if your HRV and Ecobee3 are separately connected to the G terminal?
Sorry I'll have to take a look tonight. I don't remember at all but it was a pain in the ass with the PEK.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Aug 5, 2008
39 posts
13 upvotes
I have the exact same setup as you (Ecobee3 Lite and Van-EE HRV) and also Applewood installed it as well. The only difference is my HRV is Van-EE 40H with separate control module that has 3 button (Intermittent, Min, Max)
- My 3AMP fuse on the furnace control board blew as well while on the phone with ecobee support and I sent them a picture of how it was connected originally and after PEK setup and they told me to contact HRV Tech. So I am looking for a solution myself as they were not of much help at this point.

- From what I read thus far if HRV is on intermittent or min, it will not blow the fuse but once it goes to MAX it will blow the fuse most likely due to both Ecobee and HRV having a connection that can start up the FAN on the furnace which "may" overload the 3AMP fuse - This is just form research and reading, haven't verified it myself as I need the AC to be on until I have time to do some testing with the above, but most likely it will blow again.

- So kind of frustrating as I don't have knowledge on how it should be connected with an HRV in between now that the ecobee3 lite is int he picture. Hopefully you can find a solution, or If i come across a solution, i would definitely post it as there seems to be alot of people having this problem and just gave up on their HRV.

Edit: 6 x 3AMP fuse is available at Canadian Tires for $6.20 all in after taxes if you need to replace yours, home depot didn't carry them.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
471 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
When a motor load starts up it draws extra current to kick to motor and start its revolutions.
This extra current for the HRV fan and your Ecobee are probably more than 3A at startup, so the fuse gets popped.
If it is possible to get a 'slow-blow' fuse that may solve your issues.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3407 posts
2190 upvotes
Toronto
jayz79 wrote: I have the exact same setup as you (Ecobee3 Lite and Van-EE HRV) and also Applewood installed it as well. The only difference is my HRV is Van-EE 40H with separate control module that has 3 button (Intermittent, Min, Max)
- My 3AMP fuse on the furnace control board blew as well while on the phone with ecobee support and I sent them a picture of how it was connected originally and after PEK setup and they told me to contact HRV Tech. So I am looking for a solution myself as they were not of much help at this point.

- From what I read thus far if HRV is on intermittent or min, it will not blow the fuse but once it goes to MAX it will blow the fuse most likely due to both Ecobee and HRV having a connection that can start up the FAN on the furnace which "may" overload the 3AMP fuse - This is just form research and reading, haven't verified it myself as I need the AC to be on until I have time to do some testing with the above, but most likely it will blow again.

- So kind of frustrating as I don't have knowledge on how it should be connected with an HRV in between now that the ecobee3 lite is int he picture. Hopefully you can find a solution, or If i come across a solution, i would definitely post it as there seems to be alot of people having this problem and just gave up on their HRV.

Edit: 6 x 3AMP fuse is available at Canadian Tires for $6.20 all in after taxes if you need to replace yours, home depot didn't carry them.
I have that same Van-EE control module as well, so it looks like we have the same exact setup.

So I found an HVACTech Forum and the admin was super helpful. I haven't tried this yet but it should work. Will try tonight as A/C is a must with this humidity.

Here is the thread: http://www.hvactechgroup.com/hvacforum/ ... pic=2262.0

Basically they said the G wire from the PEK has to be marette with the "NC" wire of the HRV. The HRV will have another wire coming from the "C" terminal that will go to the G terminal of the furnance control board.

in theory this should work, because this was how my original thermostat was setup. He provided another option that might work as well. Will let you guys know what the outcome is. I just picked up a pack of 3 amp fuses from Canadian Tire just in case lol.

EDIT: Just saw you mentioned the same 3 amp pack haha, thanks! Any chance you live in a John Boddy home?! lol
BuildingHomes wrote: When a motor load starts up it draws extra current to kick to motor and start its revolutions.
This extra current for the HRV fan and your Ecobee are probably more than 3A at startup, so the fuse gets popped.
If it is possible to get a 'slow-blow' fuse that may solve your issues.
Thanks for the reply! If the above solution doesn't work I will look into this.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33961 posts
19793 upvotes
Ottawa
redkulat wrote: I have that same Van-EE control module as well, so it looks like we have the same exact setup.

So I found an HVACTech Forum and the admin was super helpful. I haven't tried this yet but it should work. Will try tonight as A/C is a must with this humidity.

Basically they said the G wire from the PEK has to be marette with the "NC" wire of the HRV. The HRV will have another wire coming from the "C" terminal that will go to the G terminal of the furnance control board.

in theory this should work, because this was how my original thermostat was setup. He provided another option that might work as well. Will let you guys know what the outcome is. I just picked up a pack of 3 amp fuses from Canadian Tire just in case lol.

EDIT: Just saw you mentioned the same 3 amp pack haha, thanks! Any chance you live in a John Boddy home?! lol

I'm 99% sure that's how I had to wire the PEK/HRV/Furnace at my previous home that didn't have a C wire.
Aug 5, 2008
39 posts
13 upvotes
redkulat wrote: I have that same Van-EE control module as well, so it looks like we have the same exact setup.

Let me know how it goes, I will try to attempt this as well over the weekend, and I already have extra fuses so hopefully everything goes well. No I don't live in a John Buddy Home, I am in a Icon Homes house - I guess they use the same HVAC installers as the contractors.

Thanks Bildinghomes for the suggestion to use slow-blow fuse, however I have question in regards to compatibility - from what I read is that we should use the same fuse type for your electronic/appliance. Will using a slow-blow fuse cause any issues to the furnace if it takes too long to blow out the fuse if the voltage(?) is too high? - forgive my wording, I have very limited electronic knowledge.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3407 posts
2190 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: I'm 99% sure that's how I had to wire the PEK/HRV/Furnace at my previous home that didn't have a C wire.
jayz79 wrote: Let me know how it goes, I will try to attempt this as well over the weekend, and I already have extra fuses so hopefully everything goes well. No I don't live in a John Buddy Home, I am in a Icon Homes house - I guess they use the same HVAC installers as the contractors.

Thanks Bildinghomes for the suggestion to use slow-blow fuse, however I have question in regards to compatibility - from what I read is that we should use the same fuse type for your electronic/appliance. Will using a slow-blow fuse cause any issues to the furnace if it takes too long to blow out the fuse if the voltage(?) is too high? - forgive my wording, I have very limited electronic knowledge.
It works! I tested everything, A/C, Heat, and HRV with the heat. No issues at all. I should have realized this before installing the PEK.

Hopefully people who run into this issue in the future find this thread.
Aug 5, 2008
39 posts
13 upvotes
redkulat wrote: It works! I tested everything, A/C, Heat, and HRV with the heat. No issues at all. I should have realized this before installing the PEK.

Hopefully people who run into this issue in the future find this thread.
Just re-connected the wiring according to the diagram#2 and everything works, Thanks for sharing the solution to this issue!
Sep 16, 2019
1 posts
What worked? The slow blow fuse? Or the setup from the hvactech thread?