Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11343 posts
3089 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

HVAC Techs On RFD?

Wondering if there are any HVAC Techs/Company owners here. Looking to get some quotes for a new Furnace, currently looking at this Goodman - https://www.goodmanmfg.com/pdfviewer.as ... ?view=true

However I'm open to other brands if they are better?

Also wondering for any HVAC Techs what brand/model would you install in your home if you had a choice?

Thanks
0_o
<_<
>_>
16 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1674 posts
1345 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Wondering if there are any HVAC Techs/Company owners here. Looking to get some quotes for a new Furnace, currently looking at this Goodman - https://www.goodmanmfg.com/pdfviewer.as ... ?view=true

However I'm open to other brands if they are better?

Also wondering for any HVAC Techs what brand/model would you install in your home if you had a choice? Thanks
Get a Trane with an ECM motor and only run it at first stage during heating season. Use 3M 1500 filters during heating season and 3M 1000 filters during a/c season.
All the women I have loved have made my life more complete.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11343 posts
3089 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Why would I only run it in first stage? for my home due to older ducting I need a 2 stage with variable ECM motor to make sure we have proper airflow.
TomLafinsky wrote: Get a Trane with an ECM motor and only run it at first stage during heating season. Use 3M 1500 filters during heating season and 3M 1000 filters during a/c season.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1674 posts
1345 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Why would I only run it in first stage? for my home due to older ducting I need a 2 stage with variable ECM motor to make sure we have proper airflow.
First stage is more efficient and also easier overall on furnace components.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11343 posts
3089 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry my mistake I thought you meant get a 2 stage but only run it in single stage mode. Yes makes sense 1st stage is usually around 60% and that would be less load.
TomLafinsky wrote: First stage is more efficient and also easier overall on furnace components.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1674 posts
1345 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Sorry my mistake I thought you meant get a 2 stage but only run it in single stage mode. Yes makes sense 1st stage is usually around 60% and that would be less load.
No mistake from you. This is exactly what I meant. Get a two stage variable speed (ECM motor) furnace and program the thermostat to force the furnace to only run at first stage.

On top of that, with nothing more than a car battery (deep cycle preferred) and a 500W pure sine wave inverter (not a generator - an inverter from 12V dc to 120V ac) you can run your furnace during blackout. Mine only requires 412W at first stage. 700W at second stage.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14725 posts
9146 upvotes
Toronto
Why? I don't understand why you would only want to run stage1? Stage1 vs stage2 is comfort and not efficiency.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1674 posts
1345 upvotes
koffey wrote: Why? I don't understand why you would only want to run stage1? Stage1 vs stage2 is comfort and not efficiency.
First stage means furnace works longer so more air filtration, more harmonious temp throughout the house, easier on furnace components and slightly more fuel efficient.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11343 posts
3089 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Also most furnaces will only run in 1st stage when working. It does not hit 2 stage to often unless to raise the temp by a lot.
koffey wrote: Why? I don't understand why you would only want to run stage1? Stage1 vs stage2 is comfort and not efficiency.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2394 posts
1365 upvotes
Alliston, ON
TomLafinsky wrote: First stage means furnace works longer so more air filtration, more harmonious temp throughout the house, easier on furnace components and slightly more fuel efficient.
How is it more fuel efficient? Unless you have a modulating furnace, it's using the same amount of BTU in stage 1 VS 2. It's simply increasing the fan speed as you stated earlier.
Running the fan 24/7 will give you more even temps throughout the house VS locking it on stage 1
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14725 posts
9146 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote:
First stage means furnace works longer so more air filtration, more harmonious temp throughout the house, easier on furnace components and slightly more fuel efficient.
sickcars wrote: Also most furnaces will only run in 1st stage when working. It does not hit 2 stage to often unless to raise the temp by a lot.
Hm no. A stage 2 furnace without the means to control by the end user will always move into stage 2 automatically by the electrical board whether it be 5 or 10 or 15mins.

Anyways, so why bother buying a stage 2 furnace at all when its only driven for comfort not efficient? Makes no sense but ok.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11343 posts
3089 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
From my understanding a 2 stage furnace will start up in the first stage which is usually about 60% this could stay on for 10-15min depending on the settings of the thermostat. If within that time lets say 15min it does not reach the desired temp then it will go to the 2nd stage which is 100% to get to the set temp.
koffey wrote: Hm no. A stage 2 furnace without the means to control by the end user will always move into stage 2 automatically by the electrical board whether it be 5 or 10 or 15mins.

Anyways, so why bother buying a stage 2 furnace at all when its only driven for comfort not efficient? Makes no sense but ok.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1674 posts
1345 upvotes
schade wrote: How is it more fuel efficient? Unless you have a modulating furnace, it's using the same amount of BTU in stage 1 VS 2. It's simply increasing the fan speed as you stated earlier.
Running the fan 24/7 will give you more even temps throughout the house VS locking it on stage 1
My mistake, I forgot to mention more efficient versus a non-ecm furnace. Sorry for that.

And I also run the blower 24/7/365.
koffey wrote: Hm no. A stage 2 furnace without the means to control by the end user will always move into stage 2 automatically by the electrical board whether it be 5 or 10 or 15mins.

Through my thermostat my furnace has never, ever gone to stage 2 for heating. Need more than 8 degree difference and more than 40 minutes before going to stage 2. Never happened in 13 years.

IOW, it would need a more than 8 degree difference between temp in house and stat setting for more than 40 minutes before furnace goes to stage 2.
Images
  • tstat.JPG
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
809 upvotes
Waterloo
TomLafinsky wrote: My mistake, I forgot to mention more efficient versus a non-ecm furnace. Sorry for that.

And I also run the blower 24/7/365.

Through my thermostat my furnace has never, ever gone to stage 2 for heating. Need more than 8 degree difference and more than 40 minutes before going to stage 2. Never happened in 13 years.

IOW, it would need a more than 8 degree difference between temp in house and stat setting for more than 40 minutes before furnace goes to stage 2.
that differential is typically programmable. Altho why you wouldn't just set it at 4 so y ou have a more comfortable temperature sooner is beyond me.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1674 posts
1345 upvotes
Supahhh wrote: that differential is typically programmable. Altho why you wouldn't just set it at 4 so y ou have a more comfortable temperature sooner is beyond me.
The differential is set at 1.5F. With the thermostat set at 72F temp is never lower than 70.5F. 70.5F to 72F is comfortable to me. Tstat differential at 8F for 2nd stage so it never, ever runs at second stage (except for a/c).
Jun 23, 2019
360 posts
201 upvotes
Why buy a two stage furnace to force it to run at 1st stage only? You can accomplish the same thing by buying an undersized furnace if you want Long run times. Also where did you learn that 1st stage is more efficient? It is the opposite, first stage uses a lower BTU output, this causes the burner flame to not "push" deep into the heat exchanger which causes lower heat exchanger life. You want the flame to push deep into the primary heat exchanger so the secondary heat exchanger doesn't rust from excess condensation. Manifold pressure on 1st stage is usually around 1.7" of w.c. this is much lower than the 3.5" of w.c. that second stage uses.
If you guys wanna read up on HVAC check out https://hvac-talk.com