[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1517 posts
1168 upvotes

HWT - Mixing Valve

I have a 10 year old house.

I’ve replaced the mixing valve once.

About a month ago I noticed some water around the HWT and small drips coming from the mixing valve. I tightened it up and stopped the leak.

For the last month or so I’ve noticed the hot water doesn’t get really hot. I put on full hot water and I’m easily able to hold my hands under the water to thoroughly wash my hands - not typical. Showers I maxed out and it’s still not hot enough.

I went to the valve and turned it filly counter clockwise and no change.

HWT temperate is set high and the pipe leading to the valve is HOT.

What are my options here, buy a new valve for $100?

These things seems to be pretty unreliable, 5 year life span.
12 replies
Banned
Apr 14, 2020
172 posts
201 upvotes
Remove it....I had to add a mixing valve in order to pass my reno inspection...and now that I passed the inspection, I want to remove it again..

The water is never as hot as it used to be....

Is removing it a DIY job? I dont really have any plumbing experience...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1517 posts
1168 upvotes
Lavafinder24 wrote: Remove it....I had to add a mixing valve in order to pass my reno inspection...and now that I passed the inspection, I want to remove it again..

Hahahaha
Sep 12, 2017
94 posts
53 upvotes
Their internal parts are somewhat sensitive to debris and hard water scale build up. They fail quite often like you have described and many people just remove them entirely. To remove and bypass the mixing valve there are some quick connect sharkbite style hoses that would allow you to do it yourself with relatively few tools or experience in plumbing.

https://www.rona.ca/en/brass-water-heat ... 8-41215030
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3771 posts
2878 upvotes
Ottawa
Do you have young kids or people who may scald themselves if they are not careful? You need to let all users in the house know what can happen if you decide to remove the mixing valve so everyone knows what to expect. There are pros and cons of having a mixing valve and an understanding of its place is useful for your decision.

I have a 9-y-o home and so far the valve is still working - maybe some brands are more prone to failure than others?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1517 posts
1168 upvotes
My kids are responsible enough.

My valve is Watts Industries 3/4”
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1361 posts
1123 upvotes
Lavafinder24 wrote: Remove it....I had to add a mixing valve in order to pass my reno inspection...and now that I passed the inspection, I want to remove it again..

So now is a good time to learn.

If you consider doing an oil change on a car an impossible job then don't touch the plumbing. But if you think you would be able to do an oil change than you should have no problem removing the valve. The real pita is shutting down the water to the house and draining the water from the pipes. Go youtube there must be videos. I have removed many mixing valves for friends/family members as well as my own.

There was a time when mixing valves were not installed. Maybe people were less stupid back then...
The rising sun is like a beating heart.

Time will cease to exist when there won't be a soul left in the Universe.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1517 posts
1168 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: So now is a good time to learn.

If you consider doing an oil change on a car an impossible job then don't touch the plumbing. But if you think you would be able to do an oil change than you should have no problem removing the valve. The real pita is shutting down the water to the house and draining the water from the pipes. Go youtube there must be videos. I have removed many mixing valves for friends/family members as well as my own.

There was a time when mixing valves were not installed. Maybe people were less stupid back then...
LOL, I do my own oil changes and brake jobs
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1361 posts
1123 upvotes
Easto wrote: LOL, I do my own oil changes and brake jobs
Then my friend, you are overqualified for the plumbing Face With Tears Of Joy Seriously it is very easy.

Shut off the water to the house. Drain pipes. Quicker if you have a sink in the basement.
Cut pipes and do new connections. I don't use sharkbite I prefer copper pipes.

Really, really simple. Just ask if you need any help.

Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2253 posts
275 upvotes
Kitchener
Removing it would certainly solve the problem but keep in mind a couple of things:
1) it is a safety device to protect people. Assuming you had to change it every 5 years it's not that bad.

2) when it comes to selling the house the inspector might notice it and want it installed again

3) it's your house knock your socks off Grinning Face

Edit*
Here's an option that some will crap on. Reliance has plumbing protection plans WITHOUT a contract. Call and sign up for one. It costs about $20 a month. Wait 21 days and then call back and set an appointment for the plumbing. The mixing valve is covered under the plan so they will change it.

After they change it, you can cancel the plan without any penalties. For about $20 you got a mixing valve installed! DO NOT TELL THEM YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WHEN YOU SIGN UP. OTHERWISE IT WILL BE A PREEXISTING ISSUE.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1361 posts
1123 upvotes
Double_J wrote: Removing it would certainly solve the problem but keep in mind a couple of things:
1) it is a safety device to protect people. Assuming you had to change it every 5 years it's not that bad.

2) when it comes to selling the house the inspector might notice it and want it installed again

3) it's your house knock your socks off Grinning Face

Edit*
Here's an option that some will crap on. Reliance has plumbing protection plans WITHOUT a contract. Call and sign up for one. It costs about $20 a month. Wait 21 days and then call back and set an appointment for the plumbing. The mixing valve is covered under the plan so they will change it.

After they change it, you can cancel the plan without any penalties. For about $20 you got a mixing valve installed! DO NOT TELL THEM YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WHEN YOU SIGN UP. OTHERWISE IT WILL BE A PREEXISTING ISSUE.
Upvoted for your sneaky ways :)