HWT sizing for upper unit + basement unit

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2021 8:24 pm
[OP]
Sep 29, 2020
38 posts
8 upvotes

HWT sizing for upper unit + basement unit

I'm looking to swap out my HWT in preparation for adding a basement unit.

The upper unit will be for a family of 4-5, and the basement unit will be for a unit of 2-3 people (2 bedrooms).

Would a 50 gallon suffice, or should I go for a 60 gallon? This will be a Power Vent HWT.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
1762 posts
2069 upvotes
50G would be completely overwhelmed and even a 60G might be inadequate for 6-8 people. Can you go larger?
[OP]
Sep 29, 2020
38 posts
8 upvotes
Alpine84 wrote: 50G would be completely overwhelmed and even a 60G might be inadequate for 6-8 people. Can you go larger?
How large do you think is comfortable enough for 6-8 people?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1530 posts
561 upvotes
Vancouver
If you have a boiler, an indirect hot water tank + combi boiler would likely meet your needs.

A combi boiler heats water very fast (i think instantly) good for 1 - 2 ppl while the tank is there in case you have multiple taps that need hot water at the same time.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13104 posts
4706 upvotes
Ontario
@newlyborn Any opinion on this? HWT or maybe Tankless. @richyrich123 newly born is an HVAC Contractor in and around the GTA area and he also does Hot Water Tanks and Tankless so he has a lot of experience with this and could even get you a quote if you are interested.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3789 posts
2328 upvotes
Woodbridge
It all depends upon the overall usage and time of usage. If everyone in the home can take showers at different times and you give enough time for recovery between other activities, 50G tank should be suffice. However, if there are simultaneous activities and kids ( generally daughters) tend to take looooong showers, you should consider tankless of 199K BTU. Rinnai is one of the best brand in market.
richyrich123 wrote: I'm looking to swap out my HWT in preparation for adding a basement unit.

The upper unit will be for a family of 4-5, and the basement unit will be for a unit of 2-3 people (2 bedrooms).

Would a 50 gallon suffice, or should I go for a 60 gallon? This will be a Power Vent HWT.
sickcars wrote: @newlyborn Any opinion on this? HWT or maybe Tankless. @richyrich123 newly born is an HVAC Contractor in and around the GTA area and he also does Hot Water Tanks and Tankless so he has a lot of experience with this and could even get you a quote if you are interested.
HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy
[OP]
Sep 29, 2020
38 posts
8 upvotes
newlyborn wrote: It all depends upon the overall usage and time of usage. If everyone in the home can take showers at different times and you give enough time for recovery between other activities, 50G tank should be suffice. However, if there are simultaneous activities and kids ( generally daughters) tend to take looooong showers, you should consider tankless of 199K BTU. Rinnai is one of the best brand in market.
Thanks for the reply @newlyborn . Is this model sufficient? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rheem- ... lsrc=aw.ds

I know you mentioned the Rinnai, but that one seems to be quite a bit more expensive ($3K).

Also, what's your ballpark installation quote (w/ existing PVC + water lines + gas line for a 50 gallon power vent Rheem), and how much do you usually charge to do a service repair (vs say a service repair for a tank-based HWT)?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3789 posts
2328 upvotes
Woodbridge
Specs look good i.e it's 199K BTU. I have never dealt with Rheem tankless so can't vouch for the quality or any potential issues. Check with HD, how will you get the parts in case of breakdown. Also, don't forget to add service valves to your cost. For a quotation please call me at 416-992-2333 as I need a little more details.
PVC pipe doesn't mean automatically that it does not need replacement even if it's white in color.
richyrich123 wrote: Thanks for the reply @newlyborn . Is this model sufficient? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rheem- ... lsrc=aw.ds

I know you mentioned the Rinnai, but that one seems to be quite a bit more expensive ($3K).

Also, what's your ballpark installation quote (w/ existing PVC + water lines + gas line for a 50 gallon power vent Rheem), and how much do you usually charge to do a service repair (vs say a service repair for a tank-based HWT)?
HVAC Pro-Committed to customer, not brand. Past RFD Reviews
2022 Central Air Conditioner & Furnace Group Buy