hydro & heat for 2bdr condo

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2009 3:29 pm
[OP]
Jun 21, 2006
204 posts

hydro & heat for 2bdr condo

Hi guys,
I'm looking for 2bdr condo unit for rental in north york area(Yonge/Sheppard) and many of condos in that area do not include heat/hydro.
I've been living in downtown condo where all utilities were included.. so I have no idea as to how much heat&hydro are going to cost me.
I'm looking at 2bdr with 2washroom and there are going to be 2 people living in the unit.. both using laptops.
Can anybody shed some light on how much utilities fees I should be expecting?

Thanks!
1 reply
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19004 posts
3659 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
IMO it is better to have separate Hydro and Heat because if it's included in the condo fee, people think it is "free" and they don't pay extra if they use it more. But in reality, a lot of people think this is true so they don't turn off their lights, leave appliances running all the time, leave the windows open with the heat running, etc. And this just comes back into the condo fee due to higher corporate utility bills.

The individual billing just keeps people accountable for their own actions, and you are not paying for fools who are too cheap to get the CF light bulbs and close the window when the heat is turned on. Therefore the overall cost should be lower in this situation. But you are paying for it either way.

Btw, I am 1 person living in a 1 br condo, and my electricity is $35/mo approx.