Hydro Meter Clearance

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2017 1:46 pm
[OP]
Oct 14, 2007
371 posts
44 upvotes

Hydro Meter Clearance

Is there a specific regulation that says I have to keep "x" m around the hydro meter unobstructed? Thinking about soft landscaping designs (bushes and such).

I tried to search for it with no luck (just heigh requirements).

I'm in Markham.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2892 posts
1123 upvotes
It would be Ontario Electrical Code (administered by the ESA or your local utility)

I have never come across anything specific, I would just have to ensure the meter is accessible to be both read and serviced.

arrange your landscaping such that you can walk to the meter, stand in front of it, and have some space to move around.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
866 upvotes
Ottawa
This will be covered by the "Conditions of Service" of your electric utility. In Markham, that would be Alectra.

By having electric service, you are required to allow your utility access to your property at all times to conduct any work, as per the Ontario Electricity Act 1998, Section 40.

In summary, If you plant flowers or a hedge in front of your meter, your utility has authorization under the act to trample on or remove it so they can access the meter.