Home & Garden

HYDRO ONE DOWNLOADING NEW SERVICE UPGRADE COSTS TO THE CUSTOMER

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2016 1:24 pm
Aug 11, 2015
4 posts
Peterborough, ON

HYDRO ONE DOWNLOADING NEW SERVICE UPGRADE COSTS TO THE CUSTOMER

i just want share this with everyone , anyone who has a cottage or a house take notice its now Policy that when your contractor you hire,Who does your service upgrade ,That the Utility (Hydro One) will bill you for the line from Their pole to your house, this cost can amount to over $1000 to the homeowner. This has nothing to do with the electrical Contractor that you hired to do the job
Last edited by midnightmermaid on Nov 15th, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Please don't spam posts in all bold or caps. Also, you may want to proofread your post before you post it everywhere. Cheers.
*edit* thanks for cleaning up your post.
Last edited by engineered on Nov 15th, 2016 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jul 4, 2012
211 posts
49 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
You would expect them to eat the costs for a customer to upgrade their service?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
OP, for real? Did you think it was done for free or the cable was free?
[..]
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Aug 11, 2015
4 posts
Peterborough, ON
Dear Petes Coach

Ontario Hydro did in fact eat the cost of a service line upgrade, it was only billed to the consumer if the distance to the consumers service location as within one pole span, if it exceeded that distance they would bill you for each pole and or primary transformer, but as the customer in this case had the right to sub it out to a licensed pole line contractor that was licensed by ESA to do the work.

in this latest case we are talking about 38 meters of 1/0 aluminium triplex.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2696 posts
592 upvotes
North York
sounds right, when I asked toronto hydro about a service upgrade, they said if the wire from the street needed to be upgraded to support the use that I'd be on the hook for it. Our line from the street supports 125A, above that and I'd need to pay, and that an underground service is usually prohibitively expensive to do.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
midnightmermaid wrote: Dear Petes Coach

Ontario Hydro did in fact eat the cost of a service line upgrade, it was only billed to the consumer if the distance to the consumers service location as within one pole span, if it exceeded that distance they would bill you for each pole and or primary transformer, but as the customer in this case had the right to sub it out to a licensed pole line contractor that was licensed by ESA to do the work.

in this latest case we are talking about 38 meters of 1/0 aluminium triplex.
That Hydro One charges sound fair to me. I mean, they do have set some sort of limit don't they? The cottage can be hundreds or thousands of meters from the nearest service, who should pay for that?
I am not sure what the point of your post is. Are you complaining or informing? The way you wrote your (before you edited it) post, it sounded like you were claiming some sort of huge Hydro One rip off. Your title also makes it seem like Hydro One has some sort of new charge. I have several friends with cottages and they had to pay for the service to be brought to the cottage, and that was years ago.
You are also an Electric contractor (edited out) so that made it seem like a shill post as well.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Man, I wish I could get everything for free.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)