Home & Garden

Hydro One and Toronto Hydro among priciest for electricity generation!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2016 6:29 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56001 posts
20911 upvotes

Hydro One and Toronto Hydro among priciest for electricity generation!

Who pays the most — and the least — for power in Ontario? Hydro One, Toronto Hydro among priciest
http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... =7ed1-bad6

I am hoping my local distribution company doesn't get bought out by either of the two behemoths. Good thing (???) we only have a few summer months in a year, where electricity consumption goes through the roof.
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3311 posts
1893 upvotes
Mississauga
Who is your current Hydro company?
Enersource, Horizon Utilities, Hydro One Brampton and PowerStream are hoping to merge any moment now. It will create the second largest municipally-owned electricity distribution company in North America. I can only guess how this merger will affect rates...according to Enersource website "Subject to regulatory approval, the transaction will enable a new, larger company to use its collective resources to reduce upward pressure on distribution rates".

But we've seen large hydro companies in Ontario before...Hydro one (largest utility distribution company in Ontario) and Toronto Hydro (largest municipal-owned electricity distribution company in Canada) are both mismanaged with High hydro rates and/or aging infrastructure which will increasing rates further in the near future. SMH
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3311 posts
1893 upvotes
Mississauga
alanbrenton wrote: Oakville Hydro.
Well then, welcome onboardFace With Tears Of Joy. It will only be a matter of time before Oakville Hydro gets absorbed.

This new merged company will be almost every major city around the Greater Golden Horseshoe (Aurora, Barrie, Vaughan, Markham, Brampton, Mississauga, Hamilton, St Catherines etc). I can't list all the cities so just know <borg voice> resistance is futile </borg voice>
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56001 posts
20911 upvotes
Glad to be able to do some net metering with my solar panels when the time comes, haha.

I hope the Liberals are trying to fix this mess up since they have stop renewable energy projects that are all too costly. Manufacturing is experiencing a thousand cuts as a result of this increases.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
429 upvotes
Concord, ON
alanbrenton wrote: Glad to be able to do some net metering with my solar panels when the time comes, haha.

I hope the Liberals are trying to fix this mess up since they have stop renewable energy projects that are all too costly. Manufacturing is experiencing a thousand cuts as a result of this increases.
Wrong... manufacturing doesn't care about hydro rates...we are just a high cost jurisdiction..even with free hydro, manufacturing can't survive here and we'll be more expensive than places like Mexico, Vietnam etc... hydro rates have zero effect on whether manufacturing stays or leaves here

We have one of the cheapest hydro rates in all of North America and half of many major US cities
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56001 posts
20911 upvotes
GrandePike wrote:
alanbrenton wrote: Glad to be able to do some net metering with my solar panels when the time comes, haha.

Wrong... manufacturing doesn't care about hydro rates...we are just a high cost jurisdiction..even with free hydro, manufacturing can't survive here and we'll be more expensive than places like Mexico, Vietnam etc... hydro rates have zero effect on whether manufacturing stays or leaves here

We have one of the cheapest hydro rates in all of North America and half of many major US cities
Do you own a manufacturing plant, how do you know hydro rates have no effect?

Can you cite your support?

I did find these:
http://www.hydroquebec.com/publications ... 015_en.pdf

Ontario electricity has never been cheaper, but bills have never been higher
http://business.financialpost.com/fp-co ... een-higher