[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 22, 2017
254 posts
311 upvotes
Montreal

Hydro Quebec winter credit option

Hello guys!
I received a special exclusive invitation from Hydro Quebec to join Winter dynamic pricing program.
https://www.hydroquebec.com/residential ... eatoire-en
The idea is that you have 2 new plans:
1) Winter credit - which you pay 50c less per kWh for using less than usual during electricity peak demand hours (not more than 100h per winter, you get notified in advance through app or email, when these hours are coming). You won't pay more than you paid before (No risk option)
2) Flex D Option - you pay less 50c whole winter, but 50c more during peak demand hours. You can pay more than normal, if you use more electricity duting peak useage hours.
They projected savings about 200$ per winter season for option 1 and 160$ for option 2. And it seems weird cause with option 1 you pay same amount during all winter time, except peak hours, when you pay 50c less, and with second option you pay 50c less all winter time, only 50c more during peak hours. Doesn't make sense to me.
I have electrical heating with thermal pump and programmable thermostat, induction range, new water heater and LED bulbs mostly.
Which plan would you recommend to go with? 1 is safer and projected savings looks better, but it's questionable.
Thanks!
3 replies
Sep 2, 2015
114 posts
60 upvotes
Qu
Just save 14$ in one day of use.

3 less people having shower and only led lights on.
Sep 26, 2016
130 posts
118 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
mummonth wrote: Hello guys!
I received a special exclusive invitation from Hydro Quebec to join Winter dynamic pricing program.
https://www.hydroquebec.com/residential ... eatoire-en
The idea is that you have 2 new plans:
1) Winter credit - which you pay 50c less per kWh for using less than usual during electricity peak demand hours (not more than 100h per winter, you get notified in advance through app or email, when these hours are coming). You won't pay more than you paid before (No risk option)
2) Flex D Option - you pay less 50c whole winter, but 50c more during peak demand hours. You can pay more than normal, if you use more electricity duting peak useage hours.
They projected savings about 200$ per winter season for option 1 and 160$ for option 2. And it seems weird cause with option 1 you pay same amount during all winter time, except peak hours, when you pay 50c less, and with second option you pay 50c less all winter time, only 50c more during peak hours. Doesn't make sense to me.
I have electrical heating with thermal pump and programmable thermostat, induction range, new water heater and LED bulbs mostly.
Which plan would you recommend to go with? 1 is safer and projected savings looks better, but it's questionable.
Thanks!
I think you misunderstand how it works
Winter Credit: you dont pay 50c less per kWh. Hydro QC credits you 50c per kWh that you would not use as you normally would. Hydro rate in QC is average ~6c/kWh, so you cant possibly pay 50c less per kWh
Flex D: you dont pay 50c more during peak hours, you pay 50c per kWh during peak hours, while off hours, you pay less than normal rate
By the way, this topic is in wrong place, mod should move it to Home&Garden
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 22, 2017
254 posts
311 upvotes
Montreal
I applied for Winter Credit option, so far, looks really nice, last 3 days was peak demand hours, I have tuned my smart thermostat and used about 2kWh during peak hours instead of normal 12-16 kWh, and I see credit applied and my projected monthly payment decreasing about 15-20 cad each day I saved electricity. My wife not very happy though, she doesn't like when I start heating the house 4am and says she cannot sleep after temperature raised.