hyken (or other ergonomic) office chairs

[OP]
Jul 26, 2013
508 posts
481 upvotes
CALGARY

hyken (or other ergonomic) office chairs

Hey all

Has anyone here had issues with the lower back support on ergonomic office chairs?

I just picked up a Staples Hyken chair a few weeks ago, and have been developing lower back pain (where the support sits all day) throughout my usage of the chair.

What is your experience?

Thanks
6 replies
Penalty Box
Aug 28, 2014
2186 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RETURN IT, RETURN IT ASAP!!!!!

I got burned by this POS chair. It's NOT ergonomic at all. The fabric seat pan gives you no support and is at the wrong angle. The seat pan slopes off at the back into a huge gap leaving no contact with your ass meaning your lower back takes the entire load.

It's designed to look expensive, not to be ergonomic at all. I got duped by the hundreds of positive reviews on the staples website, the average person is an idiot and I broke my own rule of trusting anything that's popular.

I ended up giving it away since it was too late to return and bought this gaming chair from costco; the arm rests suck but it gives you proper support in the back.
https://www.costco.ca/dps-3d-insight-ga ... 88613.html
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3185 posts
375 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I've had poor experiences with chairs that offer inflatable lumbar support. The shape and stiffness of these chair backs actually feels worse than less support to the point of being painful. I'm also wary of mesh chairs, especially the budget ones as they're either too stiff and don't have the flexibility of cushioned chairs, or are too unsupportive.

My current home office chair was purchased used off a kijiji seller for $250. The shape and stiffness of the chair back was just right to be both comfortable and supportive, but after 5 years a few issues were bound to pop up - the chair back is tilted backwards to one side and actually encourages poor posture, and the seat cushion is worn out on one side to the point when I can feel the mounting bracket with my bottom. The seat also lacks depth adjustment, which I haven't been able to find on budget chairs.

This Steelcase Leap v2 review convinced me that there's actually some merit to these expensive ergonomic chairs. I might not end up getting the Leap, but it's going to be among the first few chairs that I'm trying out. I need a chair that can continue to adjust to my body as I address my muscle imbalances and posture through exercise.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
42589 posts
5964 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
iflyplanes wrote: Three words: Herman Miller Aeron
Thats what my work uses!
They only use high quality chairs... the last set was used since 2000 & in perfect condition.
They upgraded last year and woooowww my butt and back never hurt from sitting too long.
Apr 15, 2014
811 posts
741 upvotes
Toronto, ON
you can't get a good $300 chair. herman miller is expensive but worth it.
Please respond
Nov 7, 2016
990 posts
425 upvotes
Ontario
Or go cheaper with a Steelcase Leap or something...
·Ï¢årµ§·