Investing

Is (hyper)inflation coming up?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2021 12:40 pm
Tags:

Poll: What do you think is going to happen within the next couple years?

• Total votes: 108. You have voted on this poll.
Hyperinflation to the moon! 🚀

20%
Moderate inflation 🔥

43%
Average inflation (2-3%) 👍

33%
Deflation 👎

4%
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5777 posts
2999 upvotes
Winnipeg
lots of people found that they can do their own stuff (cut their own hair, cook their own food, grow their own produce, renovate etc.) I guess some of this will dampen inflation.
Zoomer Wireless | Public Mobile | Simplii | Tangerine | CIBC
Feb 14, 2010
792 posts
752 upvotes
Toronto
Hyperinflation is not coming. Even if prices double every year for ten straight years that is not even considered hyperinflation.
People take this hyperinflation stuff too seriously and should read up on places that experienced real hyperinflation.
Nov 8, 2009
502 posts
233 upvotes
thelastword wrote: Hyperinflation is not coming. Even if prices double every year for ten straight years that is not even considered hyperinflation.
People take this hyperinflation stuff too seriously and should read up on places that experienced real hyperinflation.
Not sure where your coming from with this. Sure it might not be the same as a 3rd world country but it's all relative. Considering that our economy is used to 2% inflation anything about 15-20% annually I would consider to be hyperinflation particularly if it lasted over a period of years. Plus I would take inflation statistics with a grain of salt. Obviously we've been experiencing inflation at a high level for many years now they just choose not to include that in their basket of goods (ie. real estate) but that's a different argument.
May 29, 2020
229 posts
361 upvotes
thelastword wrote: Hyperinflation is not coming. Even if prices double every year for ten straight years that is not even considered hyperinflation.
I mean sure, this may not fit the definition of "hyperinflation", but the country would be massively screwed still if inflation was at 100% per year...
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12608 posts
3726 upvotes
TGokou wrote: Not sure where your coming from with this. Sure it might not be the same as a 3rd world country but it's all relative. Considering that our economy is used to 2% inflation anything about 15-20% annually I would consider to be hyperinflation particularly if it lasted over a period of years. Plus I would take inflation statistics with a grain of salt. Obviously we've been experiencing inflation at a high level for many years now they just choose not to include that in their basket of goods (ie. real estate) but that's a different argument.
You wont die without owning your own home. So they wont include it. Just include all the stuff like food and clothing and transportation.

People can rent and still be able to live.

Hyperinflation usually happens in emerging markets that dont have anything valuable for sell. Eg. Venezuela when oil prices crashed. Printing money when your country is poor, then hyperinflation. For US and first world countries it just doesnt happen.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
1013 posts
899 upvotes
East

Look around you, everything is drastically going up in prices, yet the government tells us inflation is 2%
Bitcoin & Crypto retired | Beat the inflation: Celsius earn up to 17% on your cryptos & stablecoins | CDC CRO Obsidian card 8% rewards
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
1450 posts
649 upvotes
it is happening, food price skyrocketing, and sky is no limit.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
2314 posts
2350 upvotes
Ottawa
reps001 wrote: it is happening, food price skyrocketing, and sky is no limit.
Please define: skyrocketing
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
24647 posts
14183 upvotes
Toronto
TwinkoStar wrote: For anyone interested, Stat Can has a personal inflation calculator: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/71- ... al-eng.htm

Pretty fun and interesting and gives a good idea of what it covers/what it doesn't.
I need to revise my spending profile. The personal inflation calculator says I saw 3.4% inflation in February 2021.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
1013 posts
899 upvotes
East

hyperinflation is coming.
Bitcoin & Crypto retired | Beat the inflation: Celsius earn up to 17% on your cryptos & stablecoins | CDC CRO Obsidian card 8% rewards
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2018
1262 posts
999 upvotes
hyperinflation occurs when the value of currency loses the confidence of the buyers.

This thing we have is not "hyperinflation" but "hyperdevaluation" What that means is you have the same amount of confidence (because everyone is printing) - aka same amount of demand - but you have a bigger amount of supply aka more currency.
NOT A WOMAN. JUST GOT A WEIRD NAME. I AM A MAN. THANKS.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)