• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2020 6:29 pm
[OP]
Jun 9, 2008
98 posts
268 upvotes
ontario

[Hyundai] Hyundai & Kia free map updates

Starting a few weeks ago you can now get free system and map updates for Hyundai and Kia vehicles by downloading the update yourself using this official website. I just used this to update the maps on my 2017 Ioniq Electric. The map is dated August 2020.
Last year when I looked into this the price was around $250. Earlier this year the price dropped to $30 and now its free. I did have to purchase a new 32GB SD card as the SD card that came with my car was only 16GB and the updater software warns that is not big enough for the new system update and maps.
I believe 2018 and newer vehicles already had free maps, but I know my Ioniq was not included in this until now.

https://update.hyundai.com/CA/EN
Thread Summary
163 replies
Dec 26, 2007
177 posts
34 upvotes
North York
Thanks for the post. Sadly it seems my Genesis is too old for an online update.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18155 posts
8015 upvotes
Oakville
Can confirm that my 2020 Stinger always qualified for free map updates, but glad to see that it works for others now too
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Sep 26, 2006
108 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
Damn my 2015 too old

Upvote regardless!!
Mar 4, 2006
186 posts
207 upvotes
Thanks OP. There is an update available of my 2018 Hyundai too bad the stock SD card is only 16 gb and is too small Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat.
Mar 17, 2018
933 posts
1341 upvotes
For those who are concerned about card size, may I remind you of a recent post - visions-electronics-9-kingston-microsd- ... 5-2405483/

$12 for 64GB microSD card.

or - https://www.visions.ca/product-detail/4 ... G%2f64GBCR

$10 for 64GB SD card
Yes, I'd like to price match RedFlagDeals please - Ken Adams
$50 15GB Unlimited Talk and Text
$22.99 1GB Unlimited Talk/Text Canada Public Mobile
$0.00 a month (FREE using Google Opinion Rewards) Unlimited Talk/Text Fongo Mobile App
Jan 16, 2017
174 posts
192 upvotes
Burlington
I scanned the site but couldn’t find a clear answer: would this work to update the system software or just navigation maps? My Elantra has the touchscreen but no navigation and is listed in the supported vehicles (model and year) but no trim specifics.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15197 posts
3916 upvotes
Markham
dxxalf wrote: I scanned the site but couldn’t find a clear answer: would this work to update the system software or just navigation maps? My Elantra has the touchscreen but no navigation and is listed in the supported vehicles (model and year) but no trim specifics.
Maps only.
no system update, for that you need to ask dealer ( if update is available)
Last edited by Keigotw on Sep 26th, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Feb 25, 2018
199 posts
98 upvotes
hovercraft wrote: Thanks for the post. Sadly it seems my Genesis is too old for an online update.
time for a new genesis!

or a Hyundai Palisade.
Feb 25, 2018
199 posts
98 upvotes
dxxalf wrote: I scanned the site but couldn’t find a clear answer: would this work to update the system software or just navigation maps? My Elantra has the touchscreen but no navigation and is listed in the supported vehicles (model and year) but no trim specifics.
unless you're at the sports trim, i dont think any trims lower than that have the SD slot right below the middle console air vents for this to work,.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3919 posts
1267 upvotes
Edmonton
wearysky wrote: Can confirm that my 2020 Stinger always qualified for free map updates, but glad to see that it works for others now too
I did the full update on my Stinger a few weeks ago. Was brutally slow, like 20 minutes, but overall pretty easy.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2004
1099 posts
272 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: Maps only.
no system update, for that you need to ask dealer ( if update is available)
are you sure? i know when you purchased the SD card from their provider it was said to include the system update with it...
she may be payin for dinner, but i'll be earnin it later!
[OP]
Jun 9, 2008
98 posts
268 upvotes
ontario
When I installed my update it included a system update that had to install before the new maps could install. The system menus changed a little. The music mp3 player changed the layout of some screens and the warning when you turn on the car is longer now. The maps also look different, not just updated.
Dec 21, 2017
115 posts
143 upvotes
They used to give 5 years free update for new vehicle purchases. The update software was really clunky and took an extremely long time. There were vehicle and nav unit verification steps along the way that made it feel like they were way more concerned with you stealing the update than a reasonable user experience. Looks like they updated the soft ware and are now giving it free to everyone with a vehicle less than 5 years old. Kudos to Hyundai.

As someone who had to use the old update software, I can attest that this one is way easier and faster. Funny thing is they sent me a survey last year and I ripped them about the Windows 3.1 style updater and the crazy security verifications. Told them they should give it away and make it up on charging for POIs or else apple car play and android auto will make them irrelevant even faster. These things are mostly redundant now with waze and google maps, except if you travel through an area without data or have to pay roaming charges.