915 upvotes
Lévis
Toyota: 200$ for a map update...
Pourquoi pas?
Jul 26, 2011
15 posts
22 upvotes
TORONTO
virtus wrote: These things are mostly redundant now with waze and google maps, except if you travel through an area without data or have to pay roaming charges.
While I'd agree that using the system for navigation is probably redundant, my 2015 Genesis still uses the data to pull the speed limits for the areas I'm driving in (and shows this in the HUD) - so it's still got some value to me. I'm definitely all for using Google Maps / Waze / etc for navigation though!
Aug 23, 2019
501 posts
369 upvotes
SPARTACVS wrote: Toyota: 200$ for a map update...
And theyve just starting enabling Carplay/Android auto in some 2019 models. If it werent for their resale value...
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20126 posts
9549 upvotes
Oakville
U4IA wrote: I did the full update on my Stinger a few weeks ago. Was brutally slow, like 20 minutes, but overall pretty easy.
Same, took *forever* to update. Mine crashed a couple times before the update started too. But hey, updated maps and it gave me the new nature sounds, too! Lol
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2149 posts
1543 upvotes
Ottawa
Did they switch the older vehicles to the Here maps used on 2018+ cars? Or is it still the same nav?

Also, does it wipe out the memory card when you install the update?
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2004
1182 posts
577 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Same, took *forever* to update. Mine crashed a couple times before the update started too. But hey, updated maps and it gave me the new nature sounds, too! Lol
thanks for the heads up, hit update and left the car, came back 25 mins later and caught the very end of the progress bar.
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: Did they switch the older vehicles to the Here maps used on 2018+ cars? Or is it still the same nav?

Also, does it wipe out the memory card when you install the update?
definitely wipes the card, also keep in mind you need to leave the card in there if you want to use the onscreen nav
she may be payin for dinner, but i'll be earnin it later!
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3429 posts
885 upvotes
Oooo... so close... I have 2014 Kia Optima Turbo... but i can do the 2016 Sonata!

upvoted
Last edited by CrazyJo82 on Sep 26th, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2149 posts
1543 upvotes
Ottawa
PsychoMantis wrote: definitely wipes the card, also keep in mind you need to leave the card in there if you want to use the onscreen nav
Thanks for the info, forgot it requires the card to be always inserted
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3429 posts
885 upvotes
is there a particular brand for memory cards people recommend? It says as long as the SD card is UHS-I...
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Dec 21, 2017
127 posts
152 upvotes
Me262A1 wrote: You can pre-download google maps now on a bunch of areas you know you are going to be in. And wifi is everywhere if you end up in an area you didn't plan and need to download for offline use.
You can, but no live traffic, no re routes and no voice searching for stops or POIs while driving
Dec 21, 2017
127 posts
152 upvotes
debunn wrote: While I'd agree that using the system for navigation is probably redundant, my 2015 Genesis still uses the data to pull the speed limits for the areas I'm driving in (and shows this in the HUD) - so it's still got some value to me. I'm definitely all for using Google Maps / Waze / etc for navigation though!
Yes, true, I have speed limit in HUD as well, but Waze one is more up to date and its nice having police notifications
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2013
1402 posts
616 upvotes
EDMONTON
Awesome, I thought I'd have to live with old maps forever
Apr 3, 2007
154 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Could someone please confirm if the reduced speeds in GTA are finally showing up on those new maps?
Summer 2019 when the city of Toronto speed signs were wrapped with temporary 50km/h where it used to be 60 to hit the deadlines, my dealer told me Huyndai is working with HereMaps to have those all updated in the Sep.2019 version.
Well it wasn't but sure it was going to be updated in the spring 2020 version, now that cameras are added and you get an automatic ticket that you can't fight.
They kept my Hyundai in the dealership for the whole day - updates is very large, didn't install the first time, had to redownload..... and yes, nature sounds but all speeds were still wrong.
Absolutely definitely cannot possible slip again and you should bring your car in Sept.2020 we escalated blah blah.

Anyone installed those and they see all the 60km/h down to 50, and all 50 down to 40, etc?

Thank you!
Jan 11, 2008
163 posts
148 upvotes
GTA
marvinandro wrote: Could someone please confirm if the reduced speeds in GTA are finally showing up on those new maps?
Summer 2019 when the city of Toronto speed signs were wrapped with temporary 50km/h where it used to be 60 to hit the deadlines, my dealer told me Huyndai is working with HereMaps to have those all updated in the Sep.2019 version.
Well it wasn't but sure it was going to be updated in the spring 2020 version, now that cameras are added and you get an automatic ticket that you can't fight.
They kept my Hyundai in the dealership for the whole day - updates is very large, didn't install the first time, had to redownload..... and yes, nature sounds but all speeds were still wrong.
Absolutely definitely cannot possible slip again and you should bring your car in Sept.2020 we escalated blah blah.

Anyone installed those and they see all the 60km/h down to 50, and all 50 down to 40, etc?

Thank you!
I doubt it. Even google map is still showing wrong speed limit for roads that changed speed limit in Scarborough.
May 25, 2015
59 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks Op! Downloaded and will install tonight. Glad that my 2017 santa fe sport made the cut!!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3816 posts
1055 upvotes
Calgary
Only 2017 santa fe and newer. Oh well I never used it for navigating anyways due to Google maps.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1943 posts
719 upvotes
Kitchener
my 2016 sonata updated. Now have apple car play. so sweet! I was about to buy it last year for 200 bucks but decided to just use the phone on a mount. No longer need the mount
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2892 posts
2635 upvotes
Whitby
Plug in phone, Bluetooth, Google maps. $0 (deal)
Dec 2, 2019
298 posts
682 upvotes
I tried using a 128GB card (had an idle extra card). Updater software gave error message and asked to use 32GB card. My car had a 16GB card. Looks like I will be buying a new card afterall :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5575 posts
1109 upvotes
SindbadRFD wrote: I tried using a 128GB card (had an idle extra card). Updater software gave error message and asked to use 32GB card. My car had a 16GB card. Looks like I will be buying a new card afterall :)
I probably need to get a new microSD card to install this update as I have a 2015 Sonata.

Can someone confirm if I can use a 64GB one or does it need to be 32GB?