[Hyundai] Hyundai & Kia free map updates

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2020 4:10 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1401 posts
537 upvotes
Toronto
Muns59 wrote: Haha yip have no use for it for a while but still . Let me know how it goes .
Worse case have the OEM SD with the old maps
Do you think we will be able to revert back to the old map set after upgrading?
Nov 20, 2016
119 posts
17 upvotes
hssironman wrote: Do you think we will be able to revert back to the old map set after upgrading?
I think so . Unless this new update upgrades the software and makes the old maps incompatible .

When loading the new SD card with maps you are basically updating / uploading it to the on-board I think .
So should be able to do same with the original card .
Only if Old maps is incompatible with new software

But most times when in states I use a GPS device so I guess better to have updated canada maps built in
Oct 11, 2018
374 posts
428 upvotes
ON
krypton wrote: I have a Santa Fe Luxury but it doesn't come with built-in NAV, only Google/Apple maps. I don't see any SD Card slots on my dash.
Is this update of any use for me ? Would like to update the software if possible.
I have a similar situation, my 2017 Elantra is listed in the website, but it has neither Nav nor SD slot.
Curious how it can be done though
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5422 posts
962 upvotes
Muns59 wrote: Hey guys . So I have a 2017 Tucson . Update worked great . I bought a 32gb SD card as the OEM card was 16GB.
However my original maps was for both USA and Canada.
Now it’s just for Canada .
I still have the original SD card and will save it in case .
Any body able to load both ?
Will be curious about this part.

I ordered a 32GB card since my existing is only 16GB. I guess if the new setup isn't good I can just insert the old card again
May 27, 2007
131 posts
73 upvotes
British Columbia
Muns59 wrote: Hey guys . So I have a 2017 Tucson . Update worked great . I bought a 32gb SD card as the OEM card was 16GB.
However my original maps was for both USA and Canada.
Now it’s just for Canada .
I still have the original SD card and will save it in case .
Any body able to load both ?
So, the Canada map is updated but the original U.S. map is deleted? Is this happening for everyone who's updated?
Nov 20, 2016
119 posts
17 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote: Will be curious about this part.

I ordered a 32GB card since my existing is only 16GB. I guess if the new setup isn't good I can just insert the old card again
Yeah I think you can revert back to the OEM SD if needed .
I have not tried but only way it wouldn’t work is if the ok board software upgrade remains and the old maps is not compatible anymore
Nov 20, 2016
119 posts
17 upvotes
davvos wrote: So, the Canada map is updated but the original U.S. map is deleted? Is this happening for everyone who's updated?
Yip . In the map downloader they ask you to choose USA / Canada so I guess it’s just Canada only in the new map upgrade
Aug 9, 2016
18 posts
2 upvotes
davvos wrote: So, the Canada map is updated but the original U.S. map is deleted? Is this happening for everyone who's updated?
Just curious, did you by any chance chose the US version of the update? If so did it work?
Mar 4, 2006
195 posts
212 upvotes
I was able to type in and navigate to a us address after updating my 2018 Santa fe.
Nov 26, 2003
69 posts
115 upvotes
Muns59 wrote: Yip . In the map downloader they ask you to choose USA / Canada so I guess it’s just Canada only in the new map upgrade
I don't think it's the case. US vs. Canadian version is probably merely the difference of subtle formalities (e.g. American vs. Canadian spelling, miles vs. kilometers as default, warning messages).
Nov 20, 2016
119 posts
17 upvotes
qpoqpo wrote: I was able to type in and navigate to a us address after updating my 2018 Santa fe.
Nice !
Maybe it’s the software version ?
Mine is a 2017 Tuscon and was general type 4 .
They were higher ones like premium
Nov 20, 2016
119 posts
17 upvotes
erlkonig wrote: I don't think it's the case. US vs. Canadian version is probably merely the difference of subtle formalities (e.g. American vs. Canadian spelling, miles vs. kilometers as default, warning messages).
Maybe , it could be .
But on the navigation options I can change my units from km to miles etc .
Nov 20, 2016
119 posts
17 upvotes
qpoqpo wrote: I was able to type in and navigate to a us address after updating my 2018 Santa fe.
I wonder if The map for the sante fe would work for the Tucson
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10061 posts
6122 upvotes
Muns59 wrote: I wonder if The map for the sante fe would work for the Tucson
Yes. If the Sante Fe is running the same Gen (4 or 5) as the Tucson you have in mind:
maps.PNG

Notice the maps are also prefixed with "NAM" for North America. I don't think the update only has Canada, or only has US maps...but should have both.