Expired Hot Deals

[Hyundai] Hyundai Tucson 2020 $3500-$4000 Rebate

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 6:26 pm
Jul 7, 2004
288 posts
116 upvotes
sharkcalgary wrote: I am in the market for a new car, as my previous car is breaking down.
First time back to haggling with dealer after 17 years. My Sienna is still driveable after 380 000km but it is about time to get another vehicle.

Long story short, the dealer told us:
* Stock are short due to COVID19
* Stock are short due to the recent hail damage in Calgary
* No one knows when new stock (2021) will be here (Tuesday), 2021 stock will be here in Nov/Dec/Jan (Friday), new stock is here in Sept (after the webpage showed it)

What the dealer taught me, just don't trust a word they say.

I ended up calling all the dealers in the province to understand the price range I am looking at, still not the best deal I think, but I got a pretty good idea about the price range. One dealer even gets the ball to charge above MSRP.
Please share the name of the dealer you were talking to.
Thanks so much!
Shaw > Freedom
Telus > Koodo > Public > CMLink
Rogers: > Fido > Chatr > Zoomer > Cityfone > 7-Eleven > Petro Canada
Bell > Virgin > Lucky > President Choice
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13484 posts
3750 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Are Carcostcanada reports accurate, because there don't seem to be much profit for most cars? Factory incentives aside, is it realistic to expect dealer to discount more than the spread between MSRP and Dealer's Cost? I'm actually looking at a Forte5 GT as a daily commuter/winter beater, and there's only about $1000 in factory incentive.

Re supply and demand, I can understand about factories suspending production and so on, but are there that many people rushing out to buy new cars when businesses are closing, and jobs may be axed? During the lockdown, I was thinking, what a great time to go buy a car. But strangely, there haven't been a lot of juicy factory cash incentives. Some low-interest loan and lease rates, but with bank interest rates so low, that's to be expected.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1760 posts
2303 upvotes
Halifax
Rogido wrote: Are Carcostcanada reports accurate, because there don't seem to be much profit for most cars? Factory incentives aside, is it realistic to expect dealer to discount more than the spread between MSRP and Dealer's Cost? I'm actually looking at a Forte5 GT as a daily commuter/winter beater, and there's only about $1000 in factory incentive.

Re supply and demand, I can understand about factories suspending production and so on, but are there that many people rushing out to buy new cars when businesses are closing, and jobs may be axed? During the lockdown, I was thinking, what a great time to go buy a car. But strangely, there haven't been a lot of juicy factory cash incentives. Some low-interest loan and lease rates, but with bank interest rates so low, that's to be expected.
Just tooting my own horn. I didn't see it, but I said in other threads that these giant discounts people expected may not happen. It was easy to see that manufacturers would just stop building new cars. What a lot, including me, totally missed was that people who took the bus either couldn't or wouldn't. Instead they went out and bought used cars. This drove up the price of used cars to over pre covid prices. This made buying new, more attractive, and combined with a shortage of production made new cars harder to find. So there are no giant discounts at this time. Even the KIA discount, while good, is only a bit above normal.

That being said, the economic consequences are still going to be felt. Maybe in a years time you will see larger discounts on cars.

As for gross profit, all small cars have very low margins because they are mass produced and compete with toyota and honda. The compact market generally only has about 1k of gross profit.

Under normal circumstances depending on the time of year, month, how much inventory, what you will settle with, etc. you could reasonably expect to get below 'invoice' pricing. When financing, the dealership is going to make $600+ or more, then there's add on's like undercoating ( a must in most of Canada), car holdbacks, volume discounts, monthly targets etc. Buying a compact car at invoice which is 1k off of msrp, the dealership could still pull about 1500-2000 in gross profit without even trying hard. That leaves quite a bit of bargaining room for a hard bargainer.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
13484 posts
3750 upvotes
VANCOUVER
tdracer wrote: Just tooting my own horn. I didn't see it, but I said in other threads that these giant discounts people expected may not happen. It was easy to see that manufacturers would just stop building new cars. What a lot, including me, totally missed was that people who took the bus either couldn't or wouldn't. Instead they went out and bought used cars. This drove up the price of used cars to over pre covid prices. This made buying new, more attractive, and combined with a shortage of production made new cars harder to find. So there are no giant discounts at this time. Even the KIA discount, while good, is only a bit above normal.

That being said, the economic consequences are still going to be felt. Maybe in a years time you will see larger discounts on cars.

As for gross profit, all small cars have very low margins because they are mass produced and compete with toyota and honda. The compact market generally only has about 1k of gross profit.

Under normal circumstances depending on the time of year, month, how much inventory, what you will settle with, etc. you could reasonably expect to get below 'invoice' pricing. When financing, the dealership is going to make $600+ or more, then there's add on's like undercoating ( a must in most of Canada), car holdbacks, volume discounts, monthly targets etc. Buying a compact car at invoice which is 1k off of msrp, the dealership could still pull about 1500-2000 in gross profit without even trying hard. That leaves quite a bit of bargaining room for a hard bargainer.
Sooner or later, something's gotta give. Manufacturers cannot keep limiting production. COVID assistance will run out. Businesses will close or make less profit. People will lose jobs or get their hours or salary reduced. But definitely, in the short term, hot deals are not aplenty.
Jul 24, 2011
204 posts
59 upvotes
Bradford
Dante19 wrote: I got offered 32.5k taxes in for a Tucson Preferred with 0% financing. It seems to be a good deal. Thoughts?
which dealership?
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2223 posts
625 upvotes
YVR
Just a heads up to anyone unawares, but the 2021 model which is a brand new model just got announced.
Zoomer
Sep 14, 2020
156 posts
79 upvotes
TeriyakiJack wrote: Just a heads up to anyone unawares, but the 2021 model which is a brand new model just got announced.
I'd stay away from 1st year model (even 2nd and 3rd) for any car manufacturer to iron out all defects
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9104 posts
54444 upvotes
Ontario
jenneth wrote: Now is the best time to buy because rates are artificially low and incentives from manufacturer is out of the world.

But that's manufacturer side. If you read my post you'd notice that.

Now is the best time to buy because you don't have to negotiate and paying full sticker price minus rebate and 0% is still a great deal.

Unless you are buying from Chrysler or domestic, you will never see $5000 discount.

Whoever said they got $5000 discount off the msrp not including rebate and just straight up dealer discount is seriously overstating their achievement.

Unless they are fleet vehicles, then that is a different story.
so if I want to buy a new honda or acura car, I should buy it now instead of waiting for boxing sale or end of the year sale?

how much discount is considered as a good deal?

$2000 off uhaggle price ? plus no document fees?
COSTCO is closed on October 12 (Thanksgiving)
Saint-Hubert (Quebec) Costco = Oct 12 = 7AM - 6PM
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2223 posts
625 upvotes
YVR
Me262A1 wrote: I'd stay away from 1st year model (even 2nd and 3rd) for any car manufacturer to iron out all defects
Yup, wouldn't recommend openly either. But could be relevent to current prices, it'll put downward pressure on older stock at some point.
Zoomer
Nov 11, 2018
23 posts
10 upvotes
I'm in the auto industry and can speak to this.

If you're looking for more savings on top of new vehicle discounts, it would be worth while looking into a demo model. NOTE: there are a few select brands that do not apply new vehicle discounts to demo models. If your not able to find any demo inventory at your local dealer, then it might be worth while to call and ask. They will pull the model you want from their fleet if a staff member is driving what you are looking for.

A lot of dealers (majority of brands) are low on stock due to covid and models are retailing for full price regardless of competition and geolocation. If your adamant on purchasing a brand new one, then look for a dealer that has a lot of Tucson's in-stock, as you'll have a better chance to get a few more bucks off. As an example, one of my clients (Kia dealer in the middle of nowhere) are severely low on inventory for their popular models. They would typically carry 30-50 of their top models and are now at 10 or less. They confirmed that they are having issues with a backlog of orders from the OEM. This is relevant as both Kia & Hyundai (Tucson, Seltos, Sportage) are built in South Korea.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10026 posts
2635 upvotes
i see the cx-5 getting thrown around a bit here in this thread, i just wanted to add i bought a 2016 CX-5 brand new, its now at 110,000KM, i have had zero issues with it, the only things i have done are new tires and a new front windshield and oil changes.

not a single repair, or quirk, or random noise, after owning a 2 different fords in the 10 years before that, where it was in the shop at least twice a year for random things.

what a solid vehicle for a family of 4.
Nov 11, 2018
23 posts
10 upvotes
Agreed. The new CX-5 is a must have. All new Mazda's IMHO.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9104 posts
54444 upvotes
Ontario
rocking23nf wrote: i see the cx-5 getting thrown around a bit here in this thread, i just wanted to add i bought a 2016 CX-5 brand new, its now at 110,000KM, i have had zero issues with it, the only things i have done are new tires and a new front windshield and oil changes.

not a single repair, or quirk, or random noise, after owning a 2 different fords in the 10 years before that, where it was in the shop at least twice a year for random things.

what a solid vehicle for a family of 4.
xTurboZx wrote: Agreed. The new CX-5 is a must have. All new Mazda's IMHO.
What’s the discount when u purchased your car ?

I’m looking for a suv but don’t want to get rip off.
COSTCO is closed on October 12 (Thanksgiving)
Saint-Hubert (Quebec) Costco = Oct 12 = 7AM - 6PM
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10026 posts
2635 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: What’s the discount when u purchased your car ?

I’m looking for a suv but don’t want to get rip off.
i just shopped around until i found a price i was confortable with, haggling and buying a car is one of the worst experienes you will ever have. its miserable, the whole industry is like it. i loved getting a new car, and hated every minute of being in the dealership until i got my keys and left.
Nov 11, 2018
23 posts
10 upvotes
I wish I could share this with you! Unfortunately, I can only receive at cost pricing with majority of the OEM through my work place, and the process is very stringent.

That being said, I'm DIYer and drive old 90s Japanese models. I can never justify purchasing new. Although, I promised my SO that I would get them a CX-5. Even now I'm cringing at the thought Winking Face