Expired Hot Deals

[Hyundai] Hyundai Tucson 2020 $3500-$4000 Rebate

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 6:26 pm
Aug 2, 2008
94 posts
106 upvotes
I work in the industry and I won't name the brand I work for.

I keep reading and hearing about how much money one can save and all those stuff. And it is what some people care about because they think they beat the dealer and they won, etc.

However, people keep forgetting about resell value as well.
When a manufacturer provides a massive discount, it devalues the car right away. Think about it. If you can get that deal, so can anyone else. So in order for the next person to buy that demo car or used car, the price has to drop even lower than the price you paid. If you got $6-7k discount on a $40,000 car, do you think your car is still work $33,000? More like $28,000 right after you signed those paperwork.

Look at what you will actually get after you trade in your car after owning a vehicle for x amount of year, and include all those service cost and out of warranty repair and then divide that by the number of year of ownership. That is the real cost of ownership.

I know some of people say "I don't care about resell value" or "I will keep my car forever". Nobody keeps their car forget, and if you don't care about resell value, next time the dealer tells you a trade number, don't whine that it is too low. Everybody cares about what they get for their trade and in reality every car depreciate and those that give out massive discount depreciate faster.

The best way to see is to check out the used car market. Look at AutoTrader and you can see why some brands hold their value than others.

People are not dumb because they went and bought a brand that doesn't have massive discount like the others. You get what you pay for.

Think about it this way, Samsung always have promo and discount on their phone, what is the resell value on a used Samsung.
Now, how often Apple discount their iPhone. And how much more can you sell that used iPhone after a year or two.
It is the demand for used stuff like Apple and Samsung, there are more people who want a used iPhone than a used Samsung. And that's why iPhone's holds their value higher.
Just take that cost of the phone minus what you can get after selling and divided by the time you had it, you will be impress on how much is the cost of ownership.

This goes the same with cars. There are older cars more sought after than other. And 100% guarantee it is not that brand that the manufacturer has to provide that massive discount on advertising.

Good things doesn't come cheap, cheap things doesn't come good.
Last edited by RaffN on Sep 18th, 2020 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9056 posts
53896 upvotes
Ontario
RaffN wrote: I work in the industry and I won't name the brand I work for.

I keep reading and hearing about how much money one can save and all those stuff. And it is what some people care about because they think they beat the dealer and they won, etc.

However, people keep forgetting about resell value as well.
When a manufacturer provides a massive discount, it devalues the car right away. Think about it. If you can get that deal, so can anyone else. So in order for the next person to buy that demo car or used car, the price has to drop even lower than the price you paid. If you got $6-7k discount on a $40,000 car, do you think your car is still work $33,000? More like $28,000 right after you signed those paperwork.

Look at what you will actually get after you trade in your car after owning a vehicle for x amount of year, and include all those service cost and out of warranty repair and then divide that by the number of year of ownership. That is the real cost of ownership.

I know some of people say "I don't care about resell value" or "I will keep my car forever". Nobody keeps their car forget, and if you don't care about resell value, next time the dealer tells you a trade number, don't whine that it is too low. Everybody cares about what they get for their trade and in reality every car depreciate and those that give out massive discount depreciate faster.

The best way to see is to check out the used car market. Look at AutoTrader and you can see why some brands hold their value than others.

People are not dumb because they went and bought a brand that doesn't have massive discount like the others. You get what you pay for.

Think about it this way, Samsung always have promo and discount on their phone, what is the resell value on a used Samsung.
Now, how often Apple discount their iPhone. And how much more can you sell that used iPhone after a year or two.
It is the demand for good stuff and like Apple and Samsung, there are more people who want a used iPhone than a used Samsung.

This goes the same with cars. There are older cars more sought after than other. And 100% guarantee it is not that brand that the manufacturer has to provide that massive discount on advertising.

Good things doesn't come cheap, cheap things doesn't come good.
from your expertise, do you think this is a good deal ?

audi s4 2012 70k km = $14,000
currently have a bmw 320 1999year. bought it for $3k but spent at least $7000 to fix it over 4 years.
COSTCO is closed on October 12 (Thanksgiving)
Saint-Hubert (Quebec) Costco = Oct 12 = 7AM - 6PM
Aug 2, 2008
94 posts
106 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: from your expertise, do you think this is a good deal ?

currently have a bmw 320 1999year. bought it for $3k but spent at least $7000 to fix it over 4 years.
I won't comment on that.
I can say that there is no two identical used car.
History, declaration, current condition, what mechanic work does it need, repair cost, all that makes a difference on the value of the car.
And it all depends on what you want too.

Like your BMW, you bought it for $3K and spend $7K on it in 4 year. So technically, you spent $10K on you car. How much do you think you can get by trading it or selling it privately? The difference is how much it actually costs you to own that car for 4 year.
Mar 17, 2014
520 posts
184 upvotes
Vancouver
2022 Tucson is all new inside out...you probably can't wait til mid next year....just don't check 2022 Tucson videos....
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
5860 posts
259 upvotes
Quebec
chatbox wrote: Wonder what clearance prices will be like this year.
was 25k for preffered tucson last year.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9056 posts
53896 upvotes
Ontario
RaffN wrote: I won't comment on that.
I can say that there is no two identical used car.
History, declaration, current condition, what mechanic work does it need, repair cost, all that makes a difference on the value of the car.
And it all depends on what you want too.

Like your BMW, you bought it for $3K and spend $7K on it in 4 year. So technically, you spent $10K on you car. How much do you think you can get by trading it or selling it privately? The difference is how much it actually costs you to own that car for 4 year.
Someone ram their car towards me so my insurance will write it off. $4000.

I was planning to buy a SUV so it would be easier for me to deliver to customers.
but my friend said S4 2012 is a good deal and such.
COSTCO is closed on October 12 (Thanksgiving)
Saint-Hubert (Quebec) Costco = Oct 12 = 7AM - 6PM
Aug 2, 2008
94 posts
106 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: Someone ram their car towards me so my insurance will write it off. $4000.

I was planning to buy a SUV so it would be easier for me to deliver to customers.
but my friend said S4 2012 is a good deal and such.
Insurance company typically has to pay market price, plus taxes and fees. It is a special case since it is a write off.

But if you were to trade, value is $1. Private seller would be $1,000+? Again, mileage, history, condition, etc.

I would say to buy what you really need, and not what is friend wants you to buy because he thinks it is a good price. He is not you and it doesn't cost him anything to give you a suggestion.

My dad once told me to not give an opinion on expensive purchase like house and cars to friends and family because if it is a good purchase they might not thank you, but if it is a bad one, they might blame you for it.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10024 posts
2632 upvotes
RaffN wrote: Insurance company typically has to pay market price, plus taxes and fees. It is a special case since it is a write off.

But if you were to trade, value is $1. Private seller would be $1,000+? Again, mileage, history, condition, etc.

I would say to buy what you really need, and not what is friend wants you to buy because he thinks it is a good price. He is not you and it doesn't cost him anything to give you a suggestion.

My dad once told me to not give an opinion on expensive purchase like house and cars to friends and family because if it is a good purchase they might not thank you, but if it is a bad one, they might blame you for it.
why would the trade be 1? i traded in my truck after a accident for 3000$. it really depends on the condition of the vechicle. mine had some bumper damage and a broken headlight, insurance paid me around 1700$ in cash.

they just auction off the vehicles, its not like they resell them on the lot unless its newer
Jun 6, 2011
257 posts
220 upvotes
Ottawa
Thatdealguy wrote: from your expertise, do you think this is a good deal ?

My gosh... buying something and spending more than double the acquisition cost on maintenance and repairs sounds like a bad time. I lease which gets me a brand new car with full warranty every 5 years. My costs are a bit more because of this but not much... I just got a 2020 Santa Fe and pay a predictable $400 a month and only have to remember to change the oil and seasonal tires. I don't understand why anyone would want to come up with a lump sum of cash for a used car and then worry about uncertain repair costs.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6632 posts
2897 upvotes
this manufacturer just announced a major recall of some of their lines, incl. tucson for electrical issues that can lead to fires. I believe this is the 2nd major recall in 2 years. This is on top of issues with their engines that impacted earlier models that can lead to engine fires.

None of this is going to do good things to the resale value, or anyone's belief in the safety of this brand. This is easily one of the worst manufacturers out there once you factor in major recalls.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1476 posts
946 upvotes
polish_jr333 wrote: My gosh... buying something and spending more than double the acquisition cost on maintenance and repairs sounds like a bad time. I lease which gets me a brand new car with full warranty every 5 years. My costs are a bit more because of this but not much... I just got a 2020 Santa Fe and pay a predictable $400 a month and only have to remember to change the oil and seasonal tires. I don't understand why anyone would want to come up with a lump sum of cash for a used car and then worry about uncertain repair costs.
Hmm lease sounds like a good idea for super conservative persone like me.
how much do you need to pay when returning the lease? I was afraid car companies would charge random fees when returning
Jan 15, 2019
18 posts
11 upvotes
I've always disliked buying a new car because no matter what good discount you get, the devalue of the asset is too much so not worth it. Also, if you're getting the discount, so is everyone else.

I snagged a 2018 Q5 for 39k and I'm pretty happy about it. Great car, great build, great brand. The dealership sold it "as new" so I was able to add 4 years of maintenance and bumper to bumper warranty for 10 years into the financing so I will probably have no extra costs with the car for a long time.

OP, if you shop around you will find better deals than this.
Sep 18, 2019
141 posts
206 upvotes
polish_jr333 wrote: My gosh... buying something and spending more than double the acquisition cost on maintenance and repairs sounds like a bad time. I lease which gets me a brand new car with full warranty every 5 years. My costs are a bit more because of this but not much... I just got a 2020 Santa Fe and pay a predictable $400 a month and only have to remember to change the oil and seasonal tires. I don't understand why anyone would want to come up with a lump sum of cash for a used car and then worry about uncertain repair costs.
but once you know how to repair your own car, the cost of repair reduces dramatically

i bought 2012 car in feb 2019 $5000, so far i spent $500-$700, max max $900 for own change: oil, brakes, transmission fluid, spark plugs, used winter tires and wheels, and i'm planning to keep my car for the next 5-10 years

oh also i also changed one of my brake caliper too and i unintentionally fix my hand brake too Face With Tears Of Joy

also the best thing of own maintenance is i know the job done right, no cut corners
Last edited by quetzpro on Sep 18th, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 6, 2011
257 posts
220 upvotes
Ottawa
JIB9022 wrote: Hmm lease sounds like a good idea for super conservative persone like me.
how much do you need to pay when returning the lease? I was afraid car companies would charge random fees when returning
I'm on my third lease and frankly I just don't see much of a downside compared to buying new or used. Returning a lease always feels scary for the reasons you mention but there's a lot of things you can do to to avoid this. First, if you stick to the same dealership, they'll bend over backwards to get you in a new car. Hyundai just waived body repair costs and some lease payments to get me into the Sante Fe. You can always just buy the car off them as is for the predetermined residual cost which is usually market so you could flip it on kijiji for less loss and even sometimes (if it's mint condition and low mileage) make a profit! Next, if you negotiated a great monthly price and want to get out of the lease with over a year left on it, you can try a lease take over on kijiji or leasebusters where someone takes on your lease contract; usually one of you just needs to pay a lease transfer fee to the dealer ($400-$1200, depending on brand). Lastly, all brands have excess wear and tear protection they'll offer on all leases: for my Sante Fe it was another 11 bucks biweekly and would cover up to $7500 of access wear and tear upon return. I didn't take it simply because I know my next car will be another Hyundai.
Jun 6, 2011
257 posts
220 upvotes
Ottawa
quetzpro wrote: but once you know how to repair your own car, the cost of repair reduces dramatically

i bought 2012 in feb 2019 $5000, so far i spent $500-$700, max max $900 for own change: oil, brakes, transmission fluid, spark plugs, used winter tires and wheels, and i'm planning to keep my car for the next 5-10 years

oh also i also changed one of my brake caliper too and i unintentionally fix my hand brake too Face With Tears Of Joy

also the best thing of own maintenance is i know the job done right, no cut corners
Plus, I bet you enjoy doing it. Getting dirty under my car for hours on the weekend sounds like my personal hell. You might be saving money, but you're not saving time... but again, if you enjoy your time under the car then, yup, you've got it all figured it out.