• Jul 28th, 2020 1:57 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15507 posts
10148 upvotes
Toronto

Hyundai Porest, a cheap RV for everyone

I like it! Wonder if it will launch globally.

SPECS:

18.5ft long
7ft wide
9.5ft height

2.5L diesel producing 133hp @3600rpm
5 speed automatic

Starting base $41,000 - $72,000 USD
Has outdoor shower, full bathroom, front driver and passenger seats, 2 folded seats in the rear (airplane like), 24"tv, microwave, no cooktop/oven, 6hr max running interior AC, 1 6ftx5 bed from expansion, 1 make shift bed 5x5 and one drop bed that's like 7x6.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200702000658

Hyundai Motor announced Thursday the launch of a small-sized truck Porter 2-based camping car Porest, which can fit up to four adults.

Porest -- a combination of “Porter” and “rest” -- was developed under the concept of moving house and will be launched next week here.

Amid increasing consumer demand for camping cars, the automaker said it has focused on making Porest’s interior space practical.

According to government data, the number of registered camping cars in the country showed a fivefold jump from 2014-2019. The market size is estimated to be worth around 130 billion won ($108 million).

Porest has separated the interior under two functions, smart room and smart bed, so the rear of the car can be stretched by 800 millimeters depending on usage. When using smart bed, the bedroom area can be separated into two stories.

Additional camping seats can be stacked in the second-row passenger seat area, which can transform the space into a seat, a sofa or a bed.

Other convenient features include a shower booth, a toilet seat, a heater, an air conditioner, a refrigerator, a sink and a microwave. Various devices can be controlled via a mobile app through Bluetooth connection, the company said.

Customers can choose to attach solar battery panels to the Porest, so the campers can use an efficient battery charging system while camping.

The price of Porest entry model, which can fit two people, is set at 48.9 million won. Porest standard and deluxe models, which can fit up to four adults, cost 64.3 million won and 77 million won, respectively.

Last edited by koffey on Jul 27th, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
22 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33181 posts
14973 upvotes
Porest for the poorest? heh Face With Tears Of Joy

But seriously, what's the dollar equivalent for those millions of won?
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1157 posts
1152 upvotes
Toronto
With the Ontario real estate situation, this would be good to have if you don't want to go homeless.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15507 posts
10148 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Porest for the poorest? heh Face With Tears Of Joy

But seriously, what's the dollar equivalent for those millions of won?
It's like $45k USD for the base trim to like $70k.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4000 posts
3193 upvotes
Ottawa
I thought it was a misspelled of Poorest Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes! That reminds me of the Chevy Nova (va = French for "go") Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
424 upvotes
I’d be in for one! Before COVID we drive to Mrytle beach Every March and Halifax every June. This would be perfect for annual road trips.
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
20468 posts
4229 upvotes
Toronto
That's really the best name they could come up with? Hyundai, the brand so famous for being for poor people that they're even in song lyrics about having no money (win the superbowl, drive off in a Hyundai), and they named their car a misspelling of 'poorest'?
Last edited by Piro21 on Jul 27th, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15507 posts
10148 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: I rather get a ford F150 and put a truck camper on it.
Take off the camper when not in use & you got a truck to drive.
You'll need a camper lift, a place to store said camper and than you have the headaches of dropping the camper into the box. Also, F150 and a camper box will probably run you more money. Unless your buying someone else's hand me downs.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2630 posts
2178 upvotes
GTA West
There is definitely a small niche for this type of vehicle - remember the VW Combi Camper? They would change the name for North America. I might like to rent one but it would not be practical as a daily driver or second car.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6418 posts
2032 upvotes
YEG
The article strangely does not have any specs in it. Where would you park something like this? My BIL's Ford Explorer is considered ginormous in SK and can barely fit in his parking spot.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22284 posts
2941 upvotes
Those tiny trucks (called Porter) are everywhere in S.K
Nice spin on the name Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15507 posts
10148 upvotes
Toronto
rf134a wrote: The article strangely does not have any specs in it. Where would you park something like this? My BIL's Ford Explorer is considered ginormous in SK and can barely fit in his parking spot.
I'll modify the OP to include. I had to watch a video to get the specs.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9175 posts
8417 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: With the Ontario real estate situation, this would be good to have if you don't want to go homeless.
But how many days can you park at a Walmart parking lot before they chase you off?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6418 posts
2032 upvotes
YEG
koffey wrote: I'll modify the OP to include. I had to watch a video to get the specs.
This is 2.5' taller and around 2' longer. It definitely won't fit in his parkade. Maybe he can get permission to semi-permanently park it in the Samsung loading docks... he can make his lunch there. :D
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6838 posts
2613 upvotes
BC
"Engine under the seats?"
Would have to be. Standard for that sort of vehicle - cab-forward design.

Makes routine engine maintenance challenging except for the few things that can be easily done while lying across the passenger seat.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1446 posts
569 upvotes
Curious how hot the passenger seat would get with the engine being under it.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4000 posts
3193 upvotes
Ottawa
Here come the Griswolds (only Clark and Ellen - just room for 2) spending their vacation and self-quarantining 2 weeks with us Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2013
1222 posts
339 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
perfect for visiting family members who needs 14days quarantine.Always wanted a Westphalia but never did