Automotive

Hyundai Repairs - ICBC

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2021 5:03 pm
May 25, 2021
0 posts
1 upvote

Hyundai Repairs - ICBC

Hi there… I am looking for some advice regarding an ICBC repair and my 2021 Hyundai Sante Fe.

I leased this vehicle in February this year and in April I was involved in a multiple car rear end that ICBC has deemed to be not my fault at all. My SUV suffered considerable rear end damage, although it wasn’t written off. Vehicle was sent to an ICBC approved repair centre where they initially told me the repairs would take 7-10 days. I was given a very small sedan (at no charge to me) to use while being repaired. After 10 days the repair shop contacted me to say they can not get the repair parts from Hyundai until the end of July at THE EARLIEST. This means I will be without my SUV for over 3 months, yet I am supposed to keep paying my lease and higher insurance for a vehicle I don’t have and was not fault of mine that it was damaged. I don’t feel I should be driving around in a small sedan with decals all over it with and no features when I am paying for something more.
I would like to lease another vehicle since I only got 2 months of this current lease… I don’t feel I should be waiting over 3 months for repairs. Do you think I should ask ICBC to rectify this or go directly to Hyundai (who the lease is with) and ask them to waive all fees to end the lease early as they are the ones that can’t provide the parts for the repair. Any thoughts? Thanks!
5 replies
Feb 7, 2017
186 posts
232 upvotes
Yeah that’s not gonna work. You are at the mercy of ICBC and no Hyundai won’t waive the the 57 months you have left on your lease. I think you will get nowhere trying to do that.

Hyundai has you locked in for the remainder of your lease term. There is nothing the dealership can do for you. Best bet it to go back and ask for a bigger rental car /sedan until your repairs are done.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2807 posts
3662 upvotes
Vehicle damage insurance covers repairs and not personal consequential loss-of-use costs (i.e. lease, loan payments, and of course on-going insurance payments).

If you bought coverage that includes loss of use, then you are entitled to a replacement vehicle of similar size - this is an add-on coverage, do you have it? This extra coverage still does not cover consequential costs apart from a replacement vehicle, taxis/transit costs.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1174 posts
1556 upvotes
Calgary
Good thing you leased that POS, give it back to the dealer at the end.
Sep 25, 2018
969 posts
1987 upvotes
Nah that's not how it works. You got into an accident so it is the insurance company who's responsible to make it right for you. Neither dealership or Hyundai has anything to do with your accident. The part shortage is corporate's problem and is out of dealer's hand. If your car broke down due to mechanical issues and requires 3 months to repair, then yes, you can ask dealer to give you the exact same model and trim for the time, but still, no way they are going to give you a new vehicle or end your lease early.

You can either ask insurance to give you a bigger and nicer car for the 3 months period (which is more likely than the second option, although most people's insurance has a $1000 limit on rental, not per day, in total per accident), or ask Hyundai corporate to expedite your part order (which is unlikely, since there's a shortage of cars and car parts everywhere).
Before you speak: THINK
T = is it True? H = is it Helpful? I = is it Inspiring? N = is it Necessary? K = is it Kind?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Nothing you can really do. Just have to wait till the parts arrive. You are allowed to ask for a similar vehicle as loaner, so if you need a SUV, then ask for one. You don't need to get the loaner from the dealer. ICBC have agreements with the rental companies. I wouldn't keep your hopes up though, rental companies didn't do so well and sold off a large portion of their fleet so you may not have much choices. Just a shitty situation to be in.