Automotive

Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2014....recall!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2020 8:55 am
[OP]
Jan 27, 2020
2 posts

Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2014....recall!!!

Hi and thanks in advance for suggestions or advices. Long time lurker (since the famous...Curtis GPS from CT ).

Owner of a well maintained Santa Fe 2014 sport with 85000 kms, bought new from dealer in Laval QC, twice sent to the dealer for knocking engine sound ( not ritmic.....just like pop corn) .

Dealer agreed on repair last year Jun 2019 (short block changed), back to the dealer on Sept 2019 same noise and again dealer agreed the repair (short block changed again) all this performed under the recall of Hyundai Canada on several Santa Fe cars. Last November the car again made same noise and the dealer accepted the car again to repair, all the time I got a courtesy car and never paid a Penny, but at this time Jan 28 2020 I got not news from the dealer....so I called to check and got this answer.....WE FOUND THE PROBLEM....IS THE ALTERNATOR!!!! they said that the part will be there soon and they will call me to pick up the car.

I have no problem using their cars (already put 10000 km on a brand new Elantra provided as courtesy) but....do you guys think that is time to write a letter to Hyundai Canada? Or maybe get a new car?

Also.......2 blocks changed and now the problem was the alternator????

Thanks for reading and all the opinions are grateful received.
6 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12525 posts
6405 upvotes
Toronto
It’s not unusual for a 6 year old car with 85k to need a new alternator, especially in Quebec
Last edited by Swerny on Jan 29th, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jan 27, 2020
2 posts
Totally agree about the alternator but my question is....why they spent 2 months and 1 courtesy car to find the problem? Maybe that's not the problem and Hyundai can't find the solution?

Funny thing is the courtesy Elantra was 46km only, now is 10200 km, price of resale of that car dropped a lot (original price of that trim new was $22300 in December, now same car used with around 10k kms is $17000), I just saw.the alternator for my car is $180 and takes no more than couple of hours to change it.
Dec 25, 2006
390 posts
266 upvotes
Winnipeg
FabianOP wrote: Also.......2 blocks changed and now the problem was the alternator????

Thanks for reading and all the opinions are grateful received.
This to me is a dealership problem, not a Hyundai Canada problem. Inexperienced/careless techs at the dealership maybe?

I'd work on finding another dealer or quality independant shop to provide service in the future.
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
2816 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
FabianOP wrote: Totally agree about the alternator but my question is....why they spent 2 months and 1 courtesy car to find the problem? Maybe that's not the problem and Hyundai can't find the solution?

Funny thing is the courtesy Elantra was 46km only, now is 10200 km, price of resale of that car dropped a lot (original price of that trim new was $22300 in December, now same car used with around 10k kms is $17000), I just saw.the alternator for my car is $180 and takes no more than couple of hours to change it.
Stuff happens move on. It's probable very difficult to diagnose and should blame the mechanic. You received a new block which increased the longevity of the engine.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13828 posts
14336 upvotes
Oakville
FabianOP wrote: Totally agree about the alternator but my question is....why they spent 2 months and 1 courtesy car to find the problem? Maybe that's not the problem and Hyundai can't find the solution?

They're probably have a backlog of cars to recall the engine. There's millions of them.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6798 posts
5677 upvotes
North York

Unfortunately, not everyone is as perfect as you are
Some people takes longer, more trials and errors.
everything you do is 100% correct and 100% on time, the very first time. It's harsh to compare yourself and other people

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)