Automotive

Hyundai theta settlement?Any $, car already traded in!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2021 1:07 pm
12 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
The letter said for owners and previous owners.
I had a KIA Optima and got the same letter.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Oct 4, 2010
583 posts
253 upvotes
Surrey
if you take your time to read it, then you will see your answer.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11971 posts
8647 upvotes
GTA, ON
I'm not included as my vehicle model has still yet to be recalled, even though it's the same engine. Face With Rolling Eyes
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2564 posts
1968 upvotes
Toronto
If your Settlement Class Vehicle (i) experienced a Loss Event that would have led to a Qualifying Repair (such as an engine seizure, engine stall, engine noise, engine compartment fire, or illumination of the oil lamp diagnosed as requiring repair of the engine block), AND (ii) you sold or traded-in the Settlement Class Vehicle without first getting the recommended Qualifying Repair before the Pre-Approval Notice Date, you may receive compensation for any effect on fair market value of the Settlement Class Vehicle that resulted. You may also receive an additional payment of $140.00.

The amount of compensation will be based on the sale or trade-in transaction as a whole and the vehicle’s mileage on the date of the Loss Event that would have led to a Qualifying Repair (among other considerations).

The vehicle’s maintenance history before the repair diagnosis will not be a basis for denying or limiting compensation under this section (except in cases of Exceptional Neglect as defined above).

Doesn't look like you would get anything, it would only matter if your engine failed and then you traded it in.
Jun 25, 2017
762 posts
355 upvotes
Well this is interesting. I bought a brand new 2013 veloster turbo back in 2012. Had engine issues . Had to sell it as is a few years back. Wondering I qualify for anything ...
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2564 posts
1968 upvotes
Toronto
CuriousJack wrote: Off topic...that was a great trade-in at $8K. Its like you've leased it for $15K/7 years.Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Yeah seems like a great deal for OP. Usually dealers don't give much vs private sale prices.
[OP]
Dec 22, 2018
201 posts
77 upvotes
Markham
zobi123 wrote: If your Settlement Class Vehicle (i) experienced a Loss Event that would have led to a Qualifying Repair (such as an engine seizure, engine stall, engine noise, engine compartment fire, or illumination of the oil lamp diagnosed as requiring repair of the engine block), AND (ii) you sold or traded-in the Settlement Class Vehicle without first getting the recommended Qualifying Repair before the Pre-Approval Notice Date, you may receive compensation for any effect on fair market value of the Settlement Class Vehicle that resulted. You may also receive an additional payment of $140.00.

The amount of compensation will be based on the sale or trade-in transaction as a whole and the vehicle’s mileage on the date of the Loss Event that would have led to a Qualifying Repair (among other considerations).

The vehicle’s maintenance history before the repair diagnosis will not be a basis for denying or limiting compensation under this section (except in cases of Exceptional Neglect as defined above).

Doesn't look like you would get anything, it would only matter if your engine failed and then you traded it in.
I am thinking of the $140.This is RFDSmiling Face With Open Mouth
Oct 28, 2015
946 posts
335 upvotes
Nobleton, ON
I got this letter too for my 2015 Kia Sorento 2.4 FWD, so far the vehicle drives fine, no oil burning or anything mulfunctioning..... does it mean that I can't get anything from Hyundai/Kia?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1825 posts
394 upvotes
Thornhill
Master2031 wrote: Well this is interesting. I bought a brand new 2013 veloster turbo back in 2012. Had engine issues . Had to sell it as is a few years back. Wondering I qualify for anything ...
Ummm Veloster Turbos are 1.6L not 2.0L or 2.4L
Jun 25, 2017
762 posts
355 upvotes
cruisn76 wrote: Ummm Veloster Turbos are 1.6L not 2.0L or 2.4L
Such bs , I had a massive issue with Hyundai a year ago ( posted a massive thread on here too ) where I had to sell my Veloster for well below market value due to a recall they didn’t tell me about.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
9814 posts
3129 upvotes
zobi123 wrote: If your Settlement Class Vehicle (i) experienced a Loss Event that would have led to a Qualifying Repair (such as an engine seizure, engine stall, engine noise, engine compartment fire, or illumination of the oil lamp diagnosed as requiring repair of the engine block), AND (ii) you sold or traded-in the Settlement Class Vehicle without first getting the recommended Qualifying Repair before the Pre-Approval Notice Date, you may receive compensation for any effect on fair market value of the Settlement Class Vehicle that resulted. You may also receive an additional payment of $140.00.

You are referring to the US class action. The Canadian is different.
https://www.hyundaicanadathetaenginesettlement.com/