I am concerned about asbestos after renovation

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2022 7:23 pm
[OP]
Mar 3, 2022
1 posts

I am concerned about asbestos after renovation

Hi all,

First of all I apologize as I can bet there are other similar forums but that anxiety is doing the trick. Also the search returned bunch of other threads but somewhat different hence decided to start new one.

So here we go -

Back in july we bought an old house (1975) and we got engaged in quite heavy renovation. From popcorn to re-walling the drywalls and re-modeling the house. The old basement was taken out too.
Sometime in October we moved in.
We also started the basement reno now and one of the contractors suggested asbestos testing before we tear apart the vinyl times in the basement.

We did that an no asbestos was found. But during sampling the dust from the basement was sampled too and that came positive on asbestos - 1% Chrysotile. That suggests that something else had asbestos and that is a leftover.
Given we have been living in this house for 5 months now and going in and out of the basement the logic says we have been exposed to that dust one way or another.
And then started reading about it online and I am scared shi*less.

I would appreciate if any honest opinion on the potential damage and how serious is that 1%. Is there a way to test ourselves if we have inhaled any ? How we can minimize the risk of something happening?

I also read On code is saying 0.5% is the norm and lower.

Much appreciated your time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)