Shopping Discussion

i bought a blu-ray on amazon uk for $25 CAD and DHL charged me $21 fee?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2020 7:51 am
[OP]
Jun 9, 2013
424 posts
334 upvotes
Surrey

i bought a blu-ray on amazon uk for $25 CAD and DHL charged me $21 fee?

So i bought frozen 2 3D on amazon uk. it has a 4 pound import fee, and after shipping its total about $35 CAD. tracking shows I refused delivery, but dhl never attempted to deliver and of course I did not refuse it. so i contacted dhl and they told me i gotta pay a $18 brokerage fee and $3 duty. This is bullshit, because I paid amazon 4 pound import fee, so there shouldn't be any additional duty and taxes according to amazon uk.

whats up with dhl holding package ransom like this? how are they getting away scamming people like this trying to double charge me with duty. And what is this "brokerage" fee that is 70% of the item value and 6 times to duty tax? i asked dhl and they didnt want to tell me whats this brokerage fee is for..

i ended up contacting amazon uk, and paying the dhl fee and having amazon credit me back the amount i paid. Actually i got them credit back a little bit more than i paid, but thats not the point. Also I still havent got the blu-ray when they told me over the phone today i should get the item today after i paid the fee this morning, now the tracking shows i made arrangement to have it delivered on Wednesday. I made no such arrangement, i was told today..
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2947 posts
1594 upvotes
London
kjc123 wrote: So i bought frozen 2 3D on amazon uk. it has a 4 pound import fee, and after shipping its total about $35 CAD. tracking shows I refused delivery, but dhl never attempted to deliver and of course I did not refuse it. so i contacted dhl and they told me i gotta pay a $18 brokerage fee and $3 duty. This is bullshit, because I paid amazon 4 pound import fee, so there shouldn't be any additional duty and taxes according to amazon uk.

whats up with dhl holding package ransom like this? how are they getting away scamming people like this trying to double charge me with duty. And what is this "brokerage" fee that is 70% of the item value and 6 times to duty tax? i asked dhl and they didnt want to tell me whats this brokerage fee is for..

i ended up contacting amazon uk, and paying the dhl fee and having amazon credit me back the amount i paid. Actually i got them credit back a little bit more than i paid, but thats not the point. Also I still havent got the blu-ray when they told me over the phone today i should get the item today after i paid the fee this morning, now the tracking shows i made arrangement to have it delivered on Wednesday. I made no such arrangement, i was told today..
u are better off order from zavvi.com or base.com now if u want uk stuff. amazon uk likes doing these random shipping upgrades to ups/fedex/dhl then they try to jack u for more money.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16275 posts
4819 upvotes
Markham
was like $16.99 @ Costco in store
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Jun 9, 2013
424 posts
334 upvotes
Surrey
aaron158 wrote: u are better off order from zavvi.com or base.com now if u want uk stuff. amazon uk likes doing these random shipping upgrades to ups/fedex/dhl then they try to jack u for more money.
Keigotw wrote: was like $16.99 @ Costco in store
I never bought from zavvi or base before, but perhaps i will try next time. And north america doesnt have 3d blu-ray release anymore. Thats why i gotta import... I only have less than 10 orders from amazon uk, and I think this is the firs time they use dhl for delivery and its also the first time I got scammed like this too..
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2947 posts
1594 upvotes
London
kjc123 wrote: I never bought from zavvi or base before, but perhaps i will try next time. And north america doesnt have 3d blu-ray release anymore. Thats why i gotta import... I only have less than 10 orders from amazon uk, and I think this is the firs time they use dhl for delivery and its also the first time I got scammed like this too..
both zavvi and base only use royal mail. they also dont force u to pay the import fee upfront so chances are they will slide though with no fee. shipping is also cheaper then amazon. a bluray on zavvi is 3.99 gbp and on base its 1.69 gbp. only down side to zavvi is they don't remote vat from the price like amazon and base do.
Nov 25, 2016
72 posts
40 upvotes
that's why you never use DHL, its brokerage fee is ridiculous.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2083 posts
219 upvotes
Samuro wrote: that's why you never use DHL, its brokerage fee is ridiculous.
same with Fedex.... a battery cost me $669 custom border fee cost me $170 just from USA..
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes: