Shopping Discussion

I bought an item off amazon but forgot to apply the coupon,it's coming today, what do I do?[SOLVED]

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2019 11:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2418 posts
1126 upvotes
Toronto

I bought an item off amazon but forgot to apply the coupon,it's coming today, what do I do?[SOLVED]

Several days ago, I bought an item and right on the product's page there is an Apply For Coupon check box of which is still currently there.

I bought it and checked it off however I made a mistake in the order and cancelled everything quickly to rebuy it all with a few other items however I forgot to check it off the second time.

Do I contact the seller and admit my mistake? Do I return the item and rebuy the same item ASAP?

The coupon is 25 dollars so it would be nice not to miss out on it. Disappointed Face

EDIT: Unfortunately this post won't help others since I won't be going through the process. The item on the invoice shows at full price. What I didn't see at the top of Order Details is that there is a Your Coupon Savings section that states how much was applied
Last edited by dealo'day on Dec 22nd, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Apr 14, 2019
805 posts
721 upvotes
Return it and buy it’s again with coupon yes
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
11829 posts
3482 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Depending on the item, returning it may or may not be advantageous to you.
The return mailing labels obtained from the Amazon.ca Online Returns Centre are valid only for returns shipped within Canada. However, you can still use the online Returns Centre for items shipped from Amazon.ca to outside of Canada.

Each return mailing label is coded for a specific shipment. Please do not include items from other orders, or other shipments from the same order, in the same box, or you will not receive the correct refund. Each shipment must be returned using a separate mailing label.

If you use this mailing label and the return is a result of our error (you received an incorrect or defective item, etc.), we'll pay the return shipping costs.

If you use this mailing label and your return is not the result of our error, the shipping cost of that returned item will be deducted from your refund. The amount deducted will be the equivalent to our standard shipping costs for that item.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... bc04f5bcb5

It sounds like your situation would be included in the bonded portion.

So if the shipping cost for the return were $25+, returning and reordering would not be advantageous. If the shipping cost were $25- it might be financially advantageous but the effort involved in the return might not be worth the dollar amount.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2418 posts
1126 upvotes
Toronto
rcnrcnrcn wrote: Return it and buy it’s again with coupon yes
So I can't contact the seller and be reimbursed? I must return it?
I just don't want to contact the seller, be denied and then have my purchase denied on the grounds of it being invalid
Apr 14, 2019
805 posts
721 upvotes
dealo'day wrote: So I can't contact the seller and be reimbursed? I must return it?
I just don't want to contact the seller, be denied and then have my purchase denied on the grounds of it being invalid
The seller won’t retroactively apply a coupon, amazon might, but the seller won’t, and I doubt even can.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2418 posts
1126 upvotes
Toronto
MexiCanuck wrote: Depending on the item, returning it may or may not be advantageous to you.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... bc04f5bcb5

It sounds like your situation would be included in the bonded portion.

So if the shipping cost for the return were $25+, returning and reordering would not be advantageous. If the shipping cost were $25- it might be financially advantageous but the effort involved in the return might not be worth the dollar amount.
Thank you for the descriptive reply. So to be clear with what you wrote, only items shipped from Canada? Since I'm getting numerous items at once from one order that was made a few days ago so I think it's safe to conclude that they're not coming from over the border.
Here is the item in question https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07T2B ... UTF8&psc=1 it's fulfilled by amazon
edit: got the bag today in a gigantic box
Last edited by dealo'day on Dec 22nd, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2418 posts
1126 upvotes
Toronto
rcnrcnrcn wrote: The seller won’t retroactively apply a coupon, amazon might, but the seller won’t, and I doubt even can.
The item is fulfilled by amazon so hopefully I don't have to pay for shipping if I do return it.
So do you still go by your original recommendation to buy another? Or should I somehow contact amazon?
Also if I state it's the incorrect item only to purchase it again, wouldn't that set off a red flag?

edit it seems the coupon was applied, but thank you for your help
Last edited by dealo'day on Dec 22nd, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2416 posts
1804 upvotes
You can even ask Amazon to apply the coupon, which they'll refuse and suggest to return it. When they do, ask for a shipping label and confirm it's free to return.

I've never paid for a return back to Amazon, ever. However I do ask customer service to generate my return shipping label to make sure I never pay the return shipping charges.
Oct 26, 2010
917 posts
1306 upvotes
Happened to me once, I used online chat to explain the situation. CS couldn't apply the coupon but offered amazon credit of the same amount. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2418 posts
1126 upvotes
Toronto
I'll keep that in mind, thank you!