Automotive

i can use conventional oil once in a while when mostly using synthetic -honda accord 2006

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 1:00 pm
[OP]
Dec 1, 2016
218 posts
64 upvotes
mississauga

i can use conventional oil once in a while when mostly using synthetic -honda accord 2006

i am mostly using syntehtic oil for my honda accord 2006, but since i have the coupon to get conventional change free ( actual cost about 10$ tax inc) at canadiantire, is there any good to put conventional oil in one time to use coupon and next time go back to synthetic?
because if i change the synthetic oil at canadian tires, after subtract the coupon value, it is about the same price as i change systhetic oil at my mechanics shop, so it is not bother.
either i change conventional oil this time for 10$, or just discard rhe coupon and change at my mechanics , for about 70$
i would like to make sure if i change conventional oil, any harm? or it is just not worth it?
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5843 posts
3481 upvotes
Toronto
Your engine is going to blow up.

Not from using conventional oil but from using CanadianTire to do your oil change.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3853 upvotes
No reason you can't use normal oil vs synthetic. However, RFD'ers don't let other RFD'ers go to Canadian Tire for car work, not even for a wiper change, so I'm going to say NO, don't do it!

Give the coupon to your worst enemy. Maybe you'll become friends, he'll pay for what he did to you, and you save your car.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2737 posts
2315 upvotes
Toronto
You couldn't pay people to get their oil changed at Canadian tire...
Most would agree here not to go there.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19281 posts
7434 upvotes
Toronto
LOL oil change at Canadiantire. Why? Not even worth it for free. Stick to Synthetic and never go to Canadiantire.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5983 posts
3537 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes to synthetic and no to Cdn Tire. Insist on OEM filter and learn to do it yourself.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3910 posts
2492 upvotes
Go in for a $10 dollar oil change, come out with a $2K shocks and alignment.
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
10035 posts
5001 upvotes
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Telus Peace of Mind Plan $45 25GB
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2845 posts
4075 upvotes
The harm will come from Canadian Tire, not the one time conventional.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5983 posts
3537 upvotes
Ottawa
We can be a little unfair to CTC at times. They do have qualified, licensed mechanics but they also seem to have more than their share of horror stories. In fairness, I have had horror stories at CTC, dealerships, and indies and I have to say that the dealership experience is the best of them. Of course, we complain about the price of dealership service so they really can't win, can they?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16732 posts
5294 upvotes
London
talmcgill wrote: i am mostly using syntehtic oil for my honda accord 2006, but since i have the coupon to get conventional change free ( actual cost about 10$ tax inc) at canadiantire, is there any good to put conventional oil in one time to use coupon and next time go back to synthetic?
because if i change the synthetic oil at canadian tires, after subtract the coupon value, it is about the same price as i change systhetic oil at my mechanics shop, so it is not bother.
either i change conventional oil this time for 10$, or just discard rhe coupon and change at my mechanics , for about 70$
i would like to make sure if i change conventional oil, any harm? or it is just not worth it?
CT "free" oil change is a trick/ loss leader

You also a "free" CT safety inspection that will find $$$$ of "urgent, must be repaired now !!!,

"brakes only 5% left, must repair now,
"transmission fluid is at 10%, must flush now!!! "
"power steering fluid is at 15% , must flush now !!!"
"if you leave without this urgent work, you must sign this liability release absolving us of any blame because your car will become permanently damaged"

CT service guys get extra paid commission $$$ on any extra work they can sell you
Last edited by l69norm on Jul 12th, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2741 posts
2073 upvotes
Markham
CaptSmethwick wrote: We can be a little unfair to CTC at times. They do have qualified, licensed mechanics but they also seem to have more than their share of horror stories. In fairness, I have had horror stories at CTC, dealerships, and indies and I have to say that the dealership experience is the best of them. Of course, we complain about the price of dealership service so they really can't win, can they?
It massively depends on the business model of the said repair shop. If the business model is incentivizing questionable upselling to milk the customer, then the shop is going to be terrible ethically no matter what it is.

Effectively you want a shop that's more incentivized in customer volume, effectively a busy shop that doesn't need their customers to return often or need expensive repairs and can still make excellent profit even from mostly maintenance. The business model here is built on customer trust in the shop, this incentivizes the customer to help them by having friends and family use this shop's services as a reward for treating them well.

Dealerships can have it slightly harder because they're always at the highest end of the cost spectrum. If the service advisor is allowed to do their job ethically correct they can closely mimic an indie shop, they just need to make the customer satisfied that despite being on the high end of repair cost that there was value in returning to the dealership over an indie. Thus a customer will be seeking a specific service advisor, of course if they change dealerships or job...this can cut a customer loose if they don't like the other service advisors versus an indie shop which won't go anywhere unless the mechanic retires or sells shop.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1706 posts
2464 upvotes
West
Yes, as long as you use the same oil viscosity, you can get away with interchanging between conventional and synthetic oil on an '06 Honda (especially if it's just this once). Just note the different oil change intervals... conventional oils need to be changed every 3-4 months, whereas synthetics are usually every 8-12 months.

If it was a turbo or high performance engine of some sort, it probably wouldn't be as good of an idea.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3910 posts
2492 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: Yes, as long as you use the same oil viscosity, you can get away with interchanging between conventional and synthetic oil on an '06 Honda (especially if it's just this once). Just note the different oil change intervals... conventional oils need to be changed every 3-4 months, whereas synthetics are usually every 8-12 months.

If it was a turbo or high performance engine of some sort, it probably wouldn't be as good of an idea.
I doubt a 2006 honda accord is either.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14618 posts
8885 upvotes
Toronto
Burn the coupon, thank us all later
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3853 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: Yes, as long as you use the same oil viscosity, you can get away with interchanging between conventional and synthetic oil on an '06 Honda (especially if it's just this once). Just note the different oil change intervals... conventional oils need to be changed every 3-4 months, whereas synthetics are usually every 8-12 months.

And you pulled those numbers from where? Your arse?