• Oct 5th, 2020 11:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2222 posts
553 upvotes
Toronto

I’m into legos now! Help

I’ve always hated LEGO The thought of stepping on them drove me nuts to the point I never bought them. Random trip to Costco my kid picks up a box and I bought it just to avoid the temper tantrum and brought it home and had so much fun putting the items together I’m obsessed!

Question I can’t put these together without instructions but these sets seem to only come with a few directions and I have a bunch of LEGO left over where to get the rest of things to build ? What do I do with leftover pieces and if I buy new sets every time can I just mix all the pieces?
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16577 posts
6703 upvotes
I have only bought a few sets for my kids, but there have only been a couple pieces leftover in each (mostly just small stuff that is really suited for the set you are building and not much else). If you have a bunch leftover, I suspect it's parts they meant to have put on. That said - the fun for a kid is in building whatever they want so I would say let them play with the leftover pieces and do what they want with it. Obviously you'll never resell the set (never find all the pieces) but if you have kids you probably realized those pieces are going everywhere anyways.

One tips - discount lego is often not worth it. The real stuff sticks together SO MUCH better. I bought a couple really cheap lego-knockoff sets and end up having to glue the pieces together because they kept coming apart (for the cars and that where they get played with often).

For the large assorted packs Walmart always has them on sale on Black Friday and Boxing day - it's cheap and a 900 count pack for like $20-30.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2222 posts
553 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: I have only bought a few sets for my kids, but there have only been a couple pieces leftover in each (mostly just small stuff that is really suited for the set you are building and not much else). If you have a bunch leftover, I suspect it's parts they meant to have put on. That said - the fun for a kid is in building whatever they want so I would say let them play with the leftover pieces and do what they want with it. Obviously you'll never resell the set (never find all the pieces) but if you have kids you probably realized those pieces are going everywhere anyways.

One tips - discount lego is often not worth it. The real stuff sticks together SO MUCH better. I bought a couple really cheap lego-knockoff sets and end up having to glue the pieces together because they kept coming apart (for the cars and that where they get played with often).

For the large assorted packs Walmart always has them on sale on Black Friday and Boxing day - it's cheap and a 900 count pack for like $20-30.
Yea I decided to buy the knock off lego worst instructions ever! Never buying again. And the quality just isn’t there. I see why LEGO dominates. I have been buying the big classic kits and on the front of the box it will show instructions to make 5 things but I have ton of legos left over, I thought there would be more instructions on what else I can build on their website but I don’t see any.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1568 posts
392 upvotes
Not sure if the set you bought from Costco is a Classic Lego set where it just comes with an assortment of bricks that you can use to build anything, or one of the pre-designed sets for building a specific thing. If it's one of the Classic sets (usually sold in a large yellow box), then you can go to the Lego site and find building instructions that match the pieces you have in your set. The set number would be labelled on the box. If it's one of the pre-designed sets (i.e. Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, etc.) then you'll usually end up with some extra pieces that are small. They purposely give you these extras because they are the small pieces that tend to get lost easily.