Computers & Electronics

I’m not finding 5TB internal drives, did they stop making them?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2020 9:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3371 posts
270 upvotes

I’m not finding 5TB internal drives, did they stop making them?

Please let me know where and if it’s a good price compared to an 8TB.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2074 posts
1154 upvotes
Calgary
I don’t remember many 5TB internal drives. They seem to be going up in 2TB increments lately (though I do remember 3TB internal drives).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3371 posts
270 upvotes
audit13 wrote: There only 5 TB drive I recall was a 2.5" Seagate portable which can be shucked and used internally.

https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Backup-Ex ... B07MY44VNM
Oh that’s why, I kept searching internal.

Maybe at that price point I’m better off buying an 8TB internal?

Does it make sense to rip a drive out of an external to use internally?

I haven’t bought an internal in so long, don’t even know what to look for.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16727 posts
3083 upvotes
Toronto
Rockstead wrote: Oh that’s why, I kept searching internal.

Maybe at that price point I’m better off buying an 8TB internal?

Don't think it makes sense for a 2.5" but does for a 3.5" external.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5450 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
8tb will usually be a better bargain (especially if you shuck). I stopped buying retail internal hard drives. Use to only buy those due to warranty... I did warranty a few though. Seagate and WD. I would say my whole life about 3-5. I bought 2 WD blacks and when I saw some errors I warrantied it. But I think I stopped buying internal cause of the cost difference and having some redundancy now (prior I didn't really do any RAID type thing). I probably also stopped because my main drives that I use are now SSDs, so they are all warrantied. HDD are used for long-term storage only. I have 2 SSDs + 1HDD in my PC (OS/Games (nvme), editing/VMs (ssd), and short/semi-long term storage [somewhat barely used as SSD + nvme have enough space, but is a nice 'emergency' use] (HDD)). And a UNRAID NAS for my long term storage.

If you want warranty go for internal retail. If you don't care go for shucked 8TB+ (aim for $180 or lower as a benchmark price for shucking)

If your going purely for longterm storage (non-NAS), then you can even get cheaper Seagate 8TB external (and shuck it) but they are SMR drives, good read speeds, poor write speeds. It's more of a write once in a while drive not something that will have continuous read/write like what a surveillance system would do.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18454 posts
26463 upvotes
ONTARIO
I use one of those 5TB portables mentioned above. Got it for $98 from Amazon a while back. Definitely more expensive now!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12973 upvotes
Rockstead wrote: Maybe at that price point I’m better off buying an 8TB internal?
For 3.5mm drives you can shuck them.
Let's just say I haven't bought an internal drive in years.
The only problem with buying an external is that you can't "look for" anything because the manufacturer frequently changes what's inside.
The 10TB Seagate for example went from a Barracuda Pro to an Ironwolf.
audit13 wrote: Don't think it makes sense for a 2.5" but does for a 3.5" external.
Depends on your use case. I've sucked a few dozen 2.5" 13mm drives too since I have a bunch of SFFs and a couple servers that'll take em.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16727 posts
3083 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Depends on your use case. I've sucked a few dozen 2.5" 13mm drives too since I have a bunch of SFFs and a couple servers that'll take em.
True. I was thinking more about using a 2.5 in situations where a 3.5 drive would fit.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11641 posts
6201 upvotes
Brampton
Most of the 5TB drives were SMR. They weren't very popular for internal drives so a lot of them went out as external drives. But Platter technology kept going so it was cheaper to make bulk 8TB drives now, so that's where the sweet spot is outside of commodity 2TB drives which is usually single platter.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2437 posts
1267 upvotes
Winnipeg
audit13 wrote: There only 5 TB drive I recall was a 2.5" Seagate portable which can be shucked and used internally.

https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Backup-Ex ... B07MY44VNM
They made a 5TB 3.5" ext as well. Last seen on here around 2017 when thesource was clearing them out for $100. At the time the best TB/$ ratio. Maybe it still is. Shucked mine, sitting in closet.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/seagate-ba ... op-review/