• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2019 8:24 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 30, 2019
12 posts
2 upvotes

I damaged a bumper. Cash or insurance?

Hi, I'm an Ontario driver and a few days ago, I ran into a car in front of me and damaged its rear bumper.
The repair was quoted $1300, which is reasonable for a full replacement.
I am wondering if I should hand $1300 in cash, or have it passed to the insurance company.
I offered a cash settlement which was lower than the full repair, but the other driver wants to have the bumper replaced. So it'll be either $1300 in cash or the insurance.
I started driving from last year and this is my first accident, so I have the first time forgiveness thing.
$1300 is a lot of money for me at the moment, but the possible insurance rate rise in the future might cost more. (I don't know how much it'll increase when a second accident occurs)

How would you handle the case? Cash or through insurance company?
Thank you for your insight.
37 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3594 posts
826 upvotes
you can buy a painted dumper for $300-500 and replace your self. Its pretty easy.
[OP]
May 30, 2019
12 posts
2 upvotes
I asked him if he could repair it some other way, but he wants to have it fully replaced with OEM parts and by professionals.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1657 posts
1229 upvotes
Ottawa
$1300 is a fair amount. I'd cough it up and keep your record clean. If I'm the party in the right, I wouldn't have time to dick around. You pay me now or I go through insurance, period. My rear bumper was damaged a couple of years ago and I went through insurance even though the other party wanted to settle. These things almost always go awry when time passes - human nature.

Just make sure the other party signs a waiver to absolve you of any further action if you choose to settle.
Last edited by sandav on May 31st, 2019 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28620 posts
14036 upvotes
Toronto
since you said "that's a lot of money", I would say just let insurance deal with the claim ... after all, that's what insurance is for.
May 7, 2015
341 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto, ON
betelgeuse91 wrote: Hi, I'm an Ontario driver and a few days ago, I ran into a car in front of me and damaged its rear bumper.
The repair was quoted $1300, which is reasonable for a full replacement.
I am wondering if I should hand $1300 in cash, or have it passed to the insurance company.
I offered a cash settlement which was lower than the full repair, but the other driver wants to have the bumper replaced. So it'll be either $1300 in cash or the insurance.
I started driving from last year and this is my first accident, so I have the first time forgiveness thing.
$1300 is a lot of money for me at the moment, but the possible insurance rate rise in the future might cost more. (I don't know how much it'll increase when a second accident occurs)

How would you handle the case? Cash or through insurance company?
Thank you for your insight.
You started driving last year and they offered you accident forgiveness already? Are you sure?
[OP]
May 30, 2019
12 posts
2 upvotes
sandav wrote: $1300 is a fair amount. I'd cough it up and keep your record clean. If I'm the party in the right, I wouldn't have time to dick around. You pay me now or I go through insurance, period. My rear bumper was damaged a couple of years ago and I went through insurance even though the other party wanted to settle. These things almost always go awry when time passes - human nature.

Just make sure the other party signs a waiver to absolve you of any further action if you choose to settle.
Thank you for your comment. I live far from him so I can't ask him to write a waiver physically. Will it be okay if I ask him to confirm it on text message? It sounds quite improper but...
[OP]
May 30, 2019
12 posts
2 upvotes
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: You started driving last year and they offered you accident forgiveness already? Are you sure?
Sorry that I wasn't clear there. I drove my parents car for a long time as a third driver but I got a car last year and had independent insurance since then.
[OP]
May 30, 2019
12 posts
2 upvotes
booblehead wrote: since you said "that's a lot of money", I would say just let insurance deal with the claim ... after all, that's what insurance is for.
That is how I also think. It's ironic that I might want to avoid contacting insurance to save it for future possible accident...
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1657 posts
1229 upvotes
Ottawa
betelgeuse91 wrote: Thank you for your comment. I live far from him so I can't ask him to write a waiver physically. Will it be okay if I ask him to confirm it on text message? It sounds quite improper but...
Draft one up yourself. Don't do text. Here's an example:

https://eforms.com/release/car-accident/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9819 posts
4750 upvotes
Don’t haggle around, he/she is doing you an favor by even accepting cash. That person can easily go to insurance route with no headaches. So whatever the price is pay up directly to the body shop unless it’s an ridiculous amount. Let it be a lesson of being more careful etc.
Telus $45 25GB
[OP]
May 30, 2019
12 posts
2 upvotes
McLaren__F1 wrote: Don’t haggle around, he/she is doing you an favor by even accepting cash. That person can easily go to insurance route with no headaches. So whatever the price is pay up directly to the body shop unless it’s an ridiculous amount. Let it be a lesson of being more careful etc.
I am convinced that you are right. I just sent him a mesasge asking him to take the cash. I appreciate your comment.
Sep 27, 2003
10321 posts
2809 upvotes
Newmarket
McLaren__F1 wrote: Don’t haggle around, he/she is doing you an favor by even accepting cash. That person can easily go to insurance route with no headaches. So whatever the price is pay up directly to the body shop unless it’s an ridiculous amount. Let it be a lesson of being more careful etc.
I agree with paying the Body Shop directly. OP could pay the person cash, and then that person could still go through insurance, pocketing the cash and affecting the OP's record. Signing a waiver doesn't prevent any of this.
RFD Forums Moderator
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4632 upvotes
Montreal
EEE2 wrote: you can buy a painted dumper for $300-500 and replace your self. Its pretty easy.

Yeah, let me crash into your bumper and then give you one of these and tell you fix it yourself. smh

Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
2416 posts
845 upvotes
Mississauga
1300 ... consider yourself lucky.. newer cars with sensors, cameras, radars... even a light tap can easily be in the 2-3K range. Be more careful..
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2313 posts
1883 upvotes
Markham
If the bumper got damaged enough to warrant a replacement, who is to say the other driver won't suddenly develop neck and back pain a couple days later? I think I'd just let insurance deal with it since OP has accident forgiveness. Just be careful next 5 years or whenever that forgiveness resets. The idea is to not get into accidents (that you can control) to begin with, so you should have the mindset of being more attentive in future.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
[OP]
May 30, 2019
12 posts
2 upvotes
HDawg wrote: If the bumper got damaged enough to warrant a replacement, who is to say the other driver won't suddenly develop neck and back pain a couple days later? I think I'd just let insurance deal with it since OP has accident forgiveness. Just be careful next 5 years or whenever that forgiveness resets. The idea is to not get into accidents (that you can control) to begin with, so you should have the mindset of being more attentive in future.
If I pay him cash, I will ask him to confirm that this case is settled once and for all. If this is done legitimately, I think I will be safe from any further responsibilities that could occur in the future.
It was a light crash which merely cracked my car's license plate. The bumper didn't collapse or anything like that but was scratched here and there.
Oct 26, 2007
306 posts
180 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote: I agree with paying the Body Shop directly. OP could pay the person cash, and then that person could still go through insurance, pocketing the cash and affecting the OP's record. Signing a waiver doesn't prevent any of this.
I agree with paying the body shop directly. Its more likely the OP pays the person $1300 cash, and then the person goes and gets it fixed for $300.

If its a smaller body shop the person can still take a kickback but honestly its hard to police this.

You said the person lives far away so how are you going to get them the cash? If its in person get them to sign a release with a photocopy of their drivers license or witness signature etc. and you should be good.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15724 posts
13469 upvotes
Richmond Hill
negotiater wrote: I agree with paying the body shop directly. Its more likely the OP pays the person $1300 cash, and then the person goes and gets it fixed for $300.

If its a smaller body shop the person can still take a kickback but honestly its hard to police this.

You said the person lives far away so how are you going to get them the cash? If its in person get them to sign a release with a photocopy of their drivers license or witness signature etc. and you should be good.
Why does it matter how much the other party will actually pay to get the repair done? OP hit the other persons car and wants to avoid insurance. Other party is NOT obligated to comply period. The only issue here is if the other party claims insurance after taking OP's money to "fix" said damage.