Real Estate

I finally got a hearing with the LANDLORD TENANT BOARD after 9 months!!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2020 3:18 pm
[OP]
Dec 13, 2020
6 posts
33 upvotes

I finally got a hearing with the LANDLORD TENANT BOARD after 9 months!!

Before you judge, let me give you a little background.

deadbeat tenant used forged salary letter and credit report to secure the rental place in February

deadbeat immediately stopped paying rent in March (first month after he moved in)

deadbeat never transfer over utilities account (all the accounts are still under my name...)

I prepared a L1 (eviction hearing request with the LTB) on April 7th, 2020. I was the first batch of L1 filed after the moratorium. To this date I still can't get a **** hearing.

In the beginning, I didn't tell this deadbeat that I know his application were fraudulent because there was no way for me to get a hearing with the LTB. In August, I was finally fed up. I filed a police report and a L2 (eviction request due to criminal activity). I spoke to police officers on August 7 and they were telling me they are getting SO many calls these days because of people just refuse to pay rent. It's gotten a little ridiculous. They took in my police report because there were fraud elements to it.

Fast forward several months later (and $30k loss later), police finally got back and told me they'll arrest and charge this deadbeat. And I also got an email from landlord and tenant board saying that I will get my hearing for the L2 application.... Yes the L1 I filed on April 7, 2020 still have not been reviewed.... I suspect they are not holding hearings for non-payment issue... After 9 months, I finally get some response...

Ontario Ombudsman

I was so frustrated with the snail speed displayed by the LTB, I decided to reach out to the Ombudsman's office. they actually responded rather quickly. I had an hour conversation with a case manager at the ombudsman's office. Here is a summary of our conversation

the hearing delay is insane.... some regions in Ontario already had one year backlog before COVID. on LTB website, they claim they will try to schedule a hearing after 25 days of initial filing... lol

they added 30 adjudicators this month and plan to add more soon.

they are getting a lot of complaints about the LTB. they even have a standard questionnaire for LTB now...

I told her I am fine with the government expropriate private properties during wartime/time of emergency, but we should be compensate for it. Doug Ford is essentially telling us, "you have to pay for the living expense of another family". I told her, even Nazi Germany paid Hugo Boss for their uniform.... and we supposedly live in a country where private ownership should be respected?

apparently, there are tons of professional/full time rent strikers... their day job involves in putting up signs and walk around the neighborhood telling people to live rent free... weird eh....

I told her there should be a registry for both bad tenant and bad landlord (like a credit system). people who does shit like renoviction or skipping rent payments should be made public. so people won't do business with them in the future

rent is essentially a business. I understand the business come with risk. I am perfectly fine with losing money due to non-payment. but what I am not ok is when the government force us to continuously take that loss. LTB is in place so any non-paying renter will enjoy one year + free living arrangement.... this is bullshit.. if you are a restaurant owner, and some deadbeat dine and dash on you and comes back next day, do you have to serve him food??? we have to keep on providing a rental space to deadbeat after months and months of non payment??? I am perfectly happy to pay someone 5 grand and kick him out myself... we don't need LTB to hear our case in regard to non-payment... truthfully, WTF is hearing for non-payment for.. there is no argument to be made...

Worst part is, even though the system is designed to favour the tenant, but it will only make the least desirable tenant harder to find a place. I guarantee you after the pandemic is over and people realize terrible this renting shit is, some people rather just choose not to rent or charge higher premium on people with bad credit score... renting is business, just like any business, the better credit score you have, the easier it is to secure more money.... I am more than happy to rent my place for $1800 to an Amazon Engineer than $2500 to someone who ... isn't an Amazon Engineer...

Anyways, that's my two cents... food for thoughts??
11 replies
Sep 25, 2009
382 posts
263 upvotes
That sucks. I don't know how rest of the world deals with tenant laws, but the ones in Ontario makes being a landlord a huge risk.

I feel like once payments stop after 2 months, there should be law enforcement to remove the tenant from the premise by the 3rd month.

No one should be eating 3 months of expenses for someone they have no relation to IMO.
[OP]
Dec 13, 2020
6 posts
33 upvotes
for people who filed late into the moratorium.. the wait will be 1-2 years...
Mar 30, 2017
534 posts
326 upvotes
zxl007 wrote: for people who filed late into the moratorium.. the wait will be 1-2 years...
Canada is turning into a communist country, so is USA.
5/11/18: profit YTD -3.50%😥
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2012
2240 posts
3547 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for posting this - this is why I would never be a landlord in this province.
[OP]
Dec 13, 2020
6 posts
33 upvotes
the only reason I am getting this hearing is due to the fraud element... if it's only a non-payment... good luck... time to take out heloc to support these dead beat opportunists...
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2010
1108 posts
1301 upvotes
Toronto
The worst part of this is you can't even sell the place because any deal will fall through when the tenant won't vacate.
Deal Guru
Feb 22, 2011
10132 posts
12541 upvotes
Toronto
They are flying through them now, all booked in December and January virtually. Some hearings are only 60 seconds. Hopefully this problem is a thing of the past now that they changed the rules.
[OP]
Dec 13, 2020
6 posts
33 upvotes
one thing I told the ombudsman is that hearings for non-payment is redundant... not paying should be an automatic eviction... what a joke
Apr 24, 2017
45 posts
75 upvotes
This is why I sold two of my investment rental condos. Now I have a primary and another unit for my son.

I'm tired of dealing with deadbeat tenants. It's not worth gains.

My portfolio was 60/40 financial markets/realty.

Now it's 80/20.

Just not worth it, don't have the energy in my old days
Nov 12, 2019
345 posts
540 upvotes
mazda31509 wrote: This is why I sold two of my investment rental condos. Now I have a primary and another unit for my son.

I'm tired of dealing with deadbeat tenants. It's not worth gains.

My portfolio was 60/40 financial markets/realty.

Now it's 80/20.

Just not worth it, don't have the energy in my old days
Lots of people pay property management companies to do it for them for this reason, and even that comes with risks. I think you made the right decision -- it's not worth it being a landlord for most people, especially in Ontario, unless you have certain personality traits.
Apr 24, 2017
45 posts
75 upvotes
RaC1550 wrote: Lots of people pay property management companies to do it for them for this reason, and even that comes with risks. I think you made the right decision -- it's not worth it being a landlord for most people, especially in Ontario, unless you have certain personality traits.
Property management companies do cost a pretty penny too, at the end of the day I rather not have a random stranger in my asset. People change and so does their circumstances, I had a tenant once who presented really well but had some underlying mental issues and thought that the government was out to get him and eventually turned against myself as well.