Food & Drink

I found mold in my clarified/butter ghee jar, what do I do?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2021 9:25 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 3, 2010
2606 posts
1317 upvotes
Toronto

I found mold in my clarified/butter ghee jar, what do I do?

I should preface this that this stuff is home made and I thought I did use a clean jar.

So I recently noticed there's mold inside of the jar. There is a strong green blobby (many circular spots) of mold along the edge towards the fill line of the clarified butter. There is less towards the cap,

There is no mold on the butter, but I wouldn't know if there was any as it's used daily.

I should note that I made this clarified butter myself 1-2 months ago. This jar of butter had started to be used 2 weeks ago or so and only now am I noticing the mold. It was stored in the fridge until I took it out to use it where it's always on the counter. I don't know if other spoons that weren't 100% clean were used.



Do I wipe down the mold and transfer the butter to a clean jar? Or will that make the mold spread onto the butter?

Also I did taste just now and it's not rancid or off.
20 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
31522 posts
18235 upvotes
Toronto
toss it away. better safe than sorry, esp. in covid time.
Newbie
Jun 6, 2009
22 posts
25 upvotes
It usually happens when you use wet spoon when taking out that ghee. Use a dry paper towel and take out the spots of mold and then pour the rest of the ghee into another dry container and u can use it.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11857 posts
6867 upvotes
gettoday wrote: It usually happens when you use wet spoon when taking out that ghee. Use a dry paper towel and take out the spots of mold and then pour the rest of the ghee into another dry container and u can use it.
Something like this. Use a dry paper towel to get rid of the mold, then go over the same area with a paper towel dampened in vinegar to sterilize before pouring. Boil a new jar in water in a pot on the stove to sterilize it, turn it upside down on the dish rack to drip dry. Put the old jar in the hot water in the pot to liquidize the ghee, pour it into the dry new jar.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6228 posts
5536 upvotes
gettoday wrote: It usually happens when you use wet spoon when taking out that ghee. Use a dry paper towel and take out the spots of mold and then pour the rest of the ghee into another dry container and u can use it.
+1. This is what I would do (and suggest)...a wet (even though it's clean) will do it every time. Most likely it's spoiled but highly doubtful you'll get sick or the runs if you taste it just to be sure (don't need to swallow)...I speak from experience.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
5929 posts
2668 upvotes
Durham
dealo'day wrote: I should preface this that this stuff is home made and I thought I did use a clean jar.

So I recently noticed there's mold inside of the jar. There is a strong green blobby (many circular spots) of mold along the edge towards the fill line of the clarified butter. There is less towards the cap,

There is no mold on the butter, but I wouldn't know if there was any as it's used daily.

I should note that I made this clarified butter myself 1-2 months ago. This jar of butter had started to be used 2 weeks ago or so and only now am I noticing the mold. It was stored in the fridge until I took it out to use it where it's always on the counter. I don't know if other spoons that weren't 100% clean were used.



Do I wipe down the mold and transfer the butter to a clean jar? Or will that make the mold spread onto the butter?

Also I did taste just now and it's not rancid or off.
Throw it out.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1475 posts
523 upvotes
Ottawa
If you can see mold then there is already mold everywhere in that jar. It will just grow back even you "clean" it and put it in another jar.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4660 posts
2722 upvotes
Milton, ON.
To me its simple. I see mold / rot anywhere on any food, I toss it. And that includes cheese. There is simply ZERO need to be taking any chances.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10074 posts
4451 upvotes
Toronto
The rule for cheese hard cheeses is you can cut off the mold, while soft cheeses should be thrown out. Since ghee is an even softer product than soft cheese throw it out.

Molds can produce mycotoxins, many of which of very heat stable, so trying to sterile the ghee may not be enough.

You may be fine but no need to risk it. Toss it
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 2, 2018
1775 posts
1844 upvotes
Toronto
Have to agree best to discard the product and start again.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9106 posts
4984 upvotes
When food shows any mould on it, it should be discarded in full. I used to think it was okay to just remove the part that appears mouldy to the naked eye BUT I have learned this to not be correct. The mould can affect the rest of the food even if some of the food looks perfectly fine. I don't know if you will necessarily get food poisoning from eating what looks to be "normal" but I think the toxins that are produced by mould can be carcinogenic so tossing out mouldy food is part of a strategy for a longer, healthier life. Just my two cents.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11857 posts
6867 upvotes
The mould is not on the ghee though, it is above the fill line. I had a 4L bucket of sour cream that went mouldy above the fill lie as I was using it up. Just wiped it up with vinegar & it did not return. Regular 5% vinegar will easily kill the mould.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
20978 posts
5559 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
gettoday wrote: It usually happens when you use wet spoon when taking out that ghee. Use a dry paper towel and take out the spots of mold and then pour the rest of the ghee into another dry container and u can use it.
No way. Ghee is soft, and that means spores can penetrate into other areas. It's not visible to the naked eye, but it can happen.

Be safe. Just toss it.
- casual gastronomist -
Jr. Member
Feb 9, 2010
190 posts
100 upvotes
Aurora
This happened to me too, and it’s the first time I have had this problem. Is this because the quality of butter has gone down ( buttergate) .
I did end up throwing away the ghee, and have not yet made a fresh batch.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 15, 2020
4375 posts
3180 upvotes
It's been 36 hours. You could have thrown this out and made several fresh batches by now.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
21905 posts
20433 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Mould is NOT A GOOD THING
Unless you are a scientist growing it purposely in a lab / research experiment

When it comes to food ...
When in doubt ...
THROW IT OUT !!

The only one that’s debatable ... is hard cheese
And even then it’s a choice with some risk

So many ways your Ghee might have got contaminated
* Jar wasn’t sterilized you stored it in
* A wet or dirty spoon was introduced ... that compromised the contents
* Or human contact ... fingers, or a licked spoon (I know eeeeww )
* Or just poor storage practices. Yes Ghee is a butter product ... and yes some folks leave butter on their counters. BUT it’s truly not a good idea ... cuz butter is a dairy product. So it can go rancid, or get contaminated. And the room temperature will just speed that all along. Best advice, keep it in your fridge to slow deterioration, and optimize food quality & longevity
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jun 7th, 2021 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top