Automotive

I got caught speeding in NY state (21mph over), I got out of it (story inside)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2015 8:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5957 posts
631 upvotes
Stouffville, ON

I got caught speeding in NY state (21mph over), I got out of it (story inside)

Hey guys,

I know speeding threads are a dime a dozen on this forum and talking or admitting to speeding is blasphemy. You're supposed to have the pitchfork in your hand saying you never speed, but to me not getting caught or getting out of it is the same thing as never speeding.

Anyways, I was caught outside of Buffalo, at 4:25am in the morning on a Monday on the way back driving straight back from NYC. It was on I290W, and unlike Canadian roads the speed limits kept changing from 55mph to 65mph back to 55mph then 65mph. I had cuise control set at 75mph. It was early in the morning, whatever.

Anyways, I saw a 65mph sign when I set it. I must've missed the 55mph sign because when the officer pulled me over, I didn't actually see it. Regardless. He asked me where I was coming from, etc. I made sure not to say anything, wrote down everything and answered his questions exactly without emotion. He said I was going 76 in a 55 or something like 30ishkm/h over

Can't have this on my record, it's an uncessary increase in insurance premiums especially when I'm trying to get that property I want. So, as per searching this forum, I found the website of a lawyer in Western New York who defends traffic tickets like this and has a special section just for Canadians caught speeding (Ontario/Quebec). The website is http://notspeeding.com and the lawyer's name is Matis.

In the NY state I found it's a bit different when it comes to a speeding charge. The whole process:
- First of all, officer gives you a printed out ticket (like a Toronto parking ticket) so it's harder to find error
- They MAIL you an officer deposition right away, signed by the officer in a letter including the equipment he used (LIDAR in my case) like disclosure
- Your court date is AUTOMATICALLY set and for me it was 1 month from the offense date exactly.

So I called Matis up, and as you need a lawyer and not a paralegal, he took care of it for me. He told me that I was 1mph over the threshold of penalty but he'd work on it. I paid his fee (very similar fee to Canadian PARALEGALS) and he got it reduced to...get this....a PARKING TICKET. A non moving, non insurance affecting violation. The parking ticket was a costly one, $100, but whatever. I'll pay that every day if I can get out of a huge speeding charge like that on LIDAR where I'm essentially DOA. Laser is too damn accurate, believe me I've tried. If they use a lidar detector on you, you're SOL.

Anyways, if you're ever caught in NY state, know that you need a lawyer if you want to dispute and that the one I recommend because I had a 21mph reduced to a non moving parking ticket (insurance doesn't see it) by going to http://notspeeding.com
59 replies
Aug 5, 2010
377 posts
137 upvotes
Did you get any explanation from the lawyer as to why/how they could reduce it to a parking ticket? Is the state just looking for cash, and doesn't care about what violation is put down?

Very interesting...
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
80 upvotes
^ Did the same thing on the 2009 US Thanksgiving weekend. Tagged at 84 in a 55 while passing some farmers, but got written-up as 70.

Didn't pay for Matis' or any other legal/paralegal service. Just sent back the ticket NOT GUILTY, filled out the Reduction form that came in the mail, got a $12 transcript from MTO and a $10 one from NY DMV and mailed the lot to the DA's office.

Back came a plea-deal for a parking ticket, no points, but they still wanted ~$90 fine and I escaped the mandatory ~$100 "victim" surcharge.

Many states are running huge deficits, so tt's all about collecting the taxes in the most expedient manner possible. Knowing that I can blow through NJ and PA with impunity, I always keep the cruise at 5-over in NY because their troopers are like snipers collecting taxes.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5957 posts
631 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
stendzme wrote: Did you get any explanation from the lawyer as to why/how they could reduce it to a parking ticket? Is the state just looking for cash, and doesn't care about what violation is put down?

Very interesting...

You know what, that's probably the case, I didn't question it, I looked at it as a canadian or ontario ticket and tried to tackle it that way. Paying the lawyers fee ($400) and the parking ticket, in the grand scheme of things will save me over at least 3 years so I really am satisfied with this result. The speeding ticket itself was sometihng like $175 so...I mean forget that.

apn64 wrote: ^ Did the same thing on the 2009 US Thanksgiving weekend. Tagged at 84 in a 55 while passing some farmers, but got written-up as 70.

Didn't pay for Matis' or any other legal/paralegal service. Just sent back the ticket NOT GUILTY, filled out the Reduction form that came in the mail, got a $12 transcript from MTO and a $10 one from NY DMV and mailed the lot to the DA's office.

Back came a plea-deal for a parking ticket, no points, but they still wanted ~$90 fine and I escaped the mandatory ~$100 "victim" surcharge.

Many states are running huge deficits, so tt's all about collecting the taxes in the most expedient manner possible. Knowing that I can blow through NJ and PA with impunity, I always keep the cruise at 5-over in NY because their troopers are like snipers collecting taxes.
Didn't know that, now I do. The funny thing was I was able to spot from miles away the cops in NJ and PA. The PA cars were white, and NJ cars had SUVs or cars that were parked where you could see them. I had my high beams on for the majority of the drive because of how dark it was and how there was no traffic. You you're right htough, I mean on an empty road monday morning catching people on laser at 4:25am? What the heck right? Who are they serving and protecting? That's a whole another topic, but I'm happy with the result.
Feb 1, 2011
726 posts
20 upvotes
Hamilton
how are the lawyers able to reduce your charges?
i've always wanted to know
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
gwan wrote: how are the lawyers able to reduce your charges?
i've always wanted to know
probably just a matter of negotiation with the DA to avoid the expenses to go through the process. judge fees, lawyer fees, transciptionist fees. everyone has a day in court and i can guarantee the costs to have that day exceed $175 bucks.

very helpful thread.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
682 upvotes
South of Ottawa
stendzme wrote: Did you get any explanation from the lawyer as to why/how they could reduce it to a parking ticket? Is the state just looking for cash, and doesn't care about what violation is put down?

Very interesting...

I also had a NY speeding ticket awhile ago. Negotiated down to a parking ticket.

The reason they do this is if it's a speeding ticket given by a NY State Trooper, the proceeds from the fine go to the State. If it's a parking ticket, it goes to the town or county that you were charged in. The local DA or JP would rather see the money go to his town coffers than the State.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5957 posts
631 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Beachdown wrote: I also had a NY speeding ticket awhile ago. Negotiated down to a parking ticket.

The reason they do this is if it's a speeding ticket given by a NY State Trooper, the proceeds from the fine go to the State. If it's a parking ticket, it goes to the town or county that you were charged in. The local DA or JP would rather see the money go to his town coffers than the State.

That's great to know. I mean it's both good and bad, but at least politically it isn't as "corrupt" as it feels in Ontario with speed traps and the like.
Dec 6, 2006
674 posts
32 upvotes
I was expecting a story of how you talked your way out of the ticket. I was dissapointed :(

Maybe you should make your title more representative of the content found within.

Anyway, do you expect that anybody that is caught speeding in NY can do the same as you and get a parking ticket instead? If not, why?
Jun 2, 2011
651 posts
64 upvotes
Convictions for moving violations in NY state will show up on your Ontario driving record.

Global Toronto did a report on this and for severe traffic violations such as speeding 30mph+ over, impaired driving, refusing breath sample etc...., NY state sends you a Driver Responsibility Assessment and with $$$ attached to it. So you're being punished twice.

The rule in the US, is that: "eight, you're great; nine, you're mine". Meaning you can be 8mph over the limit but any higher than that and you're at a higher risk of recieving a traffic fine.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5728 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]Can't have this on my record, it's an uncessary increase in insurance premiums especially when I'm trying to get that property I want. [/QUOTE]

Great, remember the adage "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time"

Wouldn't it just be easier to reduce your speed just a little, or maybe watch for road signs?

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3184 posts
876 upvotes
Toronto
Doesnt work in the city of new york - upstate cuts deals..te judge in nyc told me this
Oct 20, 2010
304 posts
34 upvotes
Hi m4gician,

How much did lawyer charge you? I have doing 70mph in 55mph ticket on I-290 and have a court date set on ticket 3 weeks down at Tonawada, Buffalo.
m4gician wrote: Hey guys,

I know speeding threads are a dime a dozen on this forum and talking or admitting to speeding is blasphemy. You're supposed to have the pitchfork in your hand saying you never speed, but to me not getting caught or getting out of it is the same thing as never speeding.

Anyways, I was caught outside of Buffalo, at 4:25am in the morning on a Monday on the way back driving straight back from NYC. It was on I290W, and unlike Canadian roads the speed limits kept changing from 55mph to 65mph back to 55mph then 65mph. I had cuise control set at 75mph. It was early in the morning, whatever.

Anyways, I saw a 65mph sign when I set it. I must've missed the 55mph sign because when the officer pulled me over, I didn't actually see it. Regardless. He asked me where I was coming from, etc. I made sure not to say anything, wrote down everything and answered his questions exactly without emotion. He said I was going 76 in a 55 or something like 30ishkm/h over

Can't have this on my record, it's an uncessary increase in insurance premiums especially when I'm trying to get that property I want. So, as per searching this forum, I found the website of a lawyer in Western New York who defends traffic tickets like this and has a special section just for Canadians caught speeding (Ontario/Quebec). The website is http://notspeeding.com and the lawyer's name is Matis.

In the NY state I found it's a bit different when it comes to a speeding charge. The whole process:
- First of all, officer gives you a printed out ticket (like a Toronto parking ticket) so it's harder to find error
- They MAIL you an officer deposition right away, signed by the officer in a letter including the equipment he used (LIDAR in my case) like disclosure
- Your court date is AUTOMATICALLY set and for me it was 1 month from the offense date exactly.

So I called Matis up, and as you need a lawyer and not a paralegal, he took care of it for me. He told me that I was 1mph over the threshold of penalty but he'd work on it. I paid his fee (very similar fee to Canadian PARALEGALS) and he got it reduced to...get this....a PARKING TICKET. A non moving, non insurance affecting violation. The parking ticket was a costly one, $100, but whatever. I'll pay that every day if I can get out of a huge speeding charge like that on LIDAR where I'm essentially DOA. Laser is too damn accurate, believe me I've tried. If they use a lidar detector on you, you're SOL.

Anyways, if you're ever caught in NY state, know that you need a lawyer if you want to dispute and that the one I recommend because I had a 21mph reduced to a non moving parking ticket (insurance doesn't see it) by going to http://notspeeding.com

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)