Careers

I got a job from a fine dining restaurant in toronto.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2021 8:07 pm
[OP]
Aug 25, 2021
4 posts
15 upvotes

I got a job from a fine dining restaurant in toronto.

Hi I recently got a job at a fine dining restaurant. I start there with 14/h 12hs a day(not after-tax). Is that normal for a beginner in a fine dining restaurant? Is it worth it to start there to work? Winter is coming and it is another factor I have to consider because the restaurant is quite far away from where I live (about 1 hour TTC).

I have been working in this industry for 2 years and all I have is disappointment. Low salary and the job is not rewarding. I don't if i should still stay in this industry. Can't really see the future of myself.
36 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21034 posts
5598 upvotes
Poormond Hill
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2021
4 posts
15 upvotes
My position is pre cook. I think my salary is kinda before average.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
Always saw waiting tables as more of a part time gig for students working towards a career, young and attractive folks with great extrovert personalities, that can hustle tips easily and quickly.
Pretty much rules me out.:(
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8428 posts
5304 upvotes
Mississauga
Oooh, kitchen work is a meat grinder (no pun intended). Hope you have a thick skin OP.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2021
4 posts
15 upvotes
Kitchen work is tough but I went through something tougher before, but the problem is that the job is not rewarding. $14/h means I have to work a second job and 7 days a week no break to sustain my life. I don't know how long they will give me a raise. Can anyone tell me what averages a line cook can make in a fine dining restaurant?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4599 posts
1833 upvotes
GTA
Aren't you entitled to shared tips, meaning your wage would exceed the $14/hr?

I have no concept about all of this stuff but I'd expect the tips to be more generous in a fine dining establishment, no?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8361 posts
4071 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Your job and its conditions are why restaurant operators have been unable to recruit new and young fresh flesh for years (predating COVID). It was said that in Vancouver only 3 people were joining the industry for every 4 leaving, and many restaurants can't open 2 sittings 7 days a week due to staff shortage.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1912 posts
2151 upvotes
There are jobs in the logistics / warehousing sector in Toronto that are paying closer to $20 with potential for more than the restaurants. Probably paying 1.5 if working overtime. Worth looking into. 12 hour shifts + 2 hours for travel, will just grind you down especially if you are considering a second job. Good luck.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49990 posts
14032 upvotes
ONTARIO
maple1 wrote: There are jobs in the logistics / warehousing sector in Toronto that are paying closer to $20 with potential for more than the restaurants. Probably paying 1.5 if working overtime. Worth looking into. 12 hour shifts + 2 hours for travel, will just grind you down especially if you are considering a second job. Good luck.
True... If its a money and lack of education/skill things...
Nothing wrong with using some muscle and earning a better buck! Amazon is good for a quick buck...
And maybe with your amazon experience, you can nail a job @ UPS, FEDEX, DHL... The drivers there make good money and not as much pressure as amazon (still pressure... but I heard amazon works you like a DOG to earn that $20/hr).
Plus those couriers are unionized with full benefits and pension.

and gosh... if youre a $14/hr type of worker person... Why not just sign up to your local fast food place or coffee place? I rather sling coffee/burgers for $14/hr nearby...
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone has to start somewhere, you are getting a minimum pay because you are probably young and not much experience. Stay there if you want to grow in the restaurant business, good chief and top waiter get paid well, but it takes sometime to get there. Talk to them and ask how they started etc, it gives you better idea of the career path in that industry.

if you hate your job and doesn't like to be in the kitchen, then find another job closer to home.

A near by grocery store can pay the same.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
Congrads on the job it sounds great money.
Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2106 posts
2297 upvotes
Toronto
Restaurant is a tough business to work in, very hard work and lower wages. It's good honest work, just very hard industry. Serving staff can do well.

If you can branch out into a different career path long term that may prove more beneficial, get into an entry level spot and grow up the ladder in time.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29049 posts
14591 upvotes
$14/hr is exactly why every restaurant ever can't get staff now.
12 hour days isn't any better either.

I wonder why they're paying a pittance. If it's a top tier restaurant that'll look good on a resume? Maybe. Even then...
If it's just a job you're after with no future prospects, even casual fine dining pays more than that.

Personally I wouldn't take it, even bottom rung.

Wait... You said TTC so I'm assuming Ontraio. Isn't minimum wage above $14? Google says $14.35/hour. That's even worse.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2021
4 posts
15 upvotes
update: I rejected the fine dining job. Instead, I found a construction job somewhere. I think i was crazy before. Just imagine how much money I could save up in a bank if I worked construction for 2 years instead of working in a restaurant.....
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49990 posts
14032 upvotes
ONTARIO
JJzibu wrote: update: I rejected the fine dining job. Instead, I found a construction job somewhere. I think i was crazy before. Just imagine how much money I could save up in a bank if I worked construction for 2 years instead of working in a restaurant.....
That a boy. If you got some muscle, use it.
Not sure what your career/education prospects are like. But if you like the construction thing, you can always specialize in a trade. IF you get into a union you can get some really good pay and benefits.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2414 posts
359 upvotes
Good job OP - can learn some very valuable skills doing construction and definitely more $$$
Dec 8, 2015
401 posts
223 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
JJzibu wrote: Hi I recently got a job at a fine dining restaurant. I start there with 14/h 12hs a day(not after-tax). Is that normal for a beginner in a fine dining restaurant? Is it worth it to start there to work? Winter is coming and it is another factor I have to consider because the restaurant is quite far away from where I live (about 1 hour TTC).

I have been working in this industry for 2 years and all I have is disappointment. Low salary and the job is not rewarding. I don't if i should still stay in this industry. Can't really see the future of myself.
Run!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)