• Dec 3rd, 2018 7:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19519 posts
2234 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

I had a dispute with a merchant

The Canadian Tires on St. Claire and Keele has a guy who does glass repair. So he says he can fix the crack on my windhsield and it would be $70. He tried to fix it and then wrote me an invoice for the job but there was a crack still. I told him you didn't fix it I'm not paying you. He then tries to haggle it down to half price and I say I'm not paying you for an incomplete job. Told him I'd give him a small pittance for his trouble since it's a mobile station and it's cold but I flatly told him he was being dishonest with me saying he could fix it. He said he didn't want my money so I drove away.

Kind of felt bad because he had a limp and probably the cold doesn't help and he did try but he was being disingenuous with me so I let him have it.

If you can't fix you shouldn't try and charge people the full price of the service or BS your way.
Last edited by Supercooled on Dec 3rd, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5845 posts
2101 upvotes
Space
You can’t “fix” a crack. You can try and make it less noticeable and possibly prevent it from spreading. Was it at least less noticeable after he performed the repair?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19519 posts
2234 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Solsearchin1 wrote: You can’t “fix” a crack. You can try and make it less noticeable and possibly prevent it from spreading. Was it at least less noticeable after he performed the repair?
No, it was pretty much the same length it was before he tried to fix it. I've seen some kits that do fix hair line cracks. For $70 vs $500 I figured it was worth a shot. The guy's been there for AGES or at least that tent/service has so I'm sure he's had some success but he tried to change the story after he couldn't fix it and said he will try to keep the crack from spreading. I just told him he didn't tell me that at the start and called him dishonest but I wanted to give him $20 for the effort but he was offended and said he won't accept my money because I called him dishonest. Foreign guy with a limp if anyone ever has a small chip drop by his station.

My crack is about 4 inches long. Guess I'll have to pony up the $500 and get it replaced.

Best I can do atm.
IMG_20181203_135556_HDR.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9193 posts
2832 upvotes
London
Supercooled wrote: My crack is about 4 inches long.
That seems way too advanced to be fixed.

And I wanted to make a quote out of context.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2626 posts
2979 upvotes
wouldn't pay $70 for non insurance approve shop.
I paid $100 at Speedy glass and when they couldn't fix it 100%, they put the $100 towards my deductible($200) to replace the whole windshield under insurance.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)