Careers

I have a Dream Job in mind, how should I work towards it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2012 10:03 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 3, 2009
283 posts
49 upvotes
Swinky wrote: I am currently a business student (studying at one of the best business schools in Canada, although that kind of stuff is debatable) who just finished her first year of studies, and on summer break. While a few of my colleagues have already found field-related intern ships, I am struggling to find anything meaningful to do this summer. So I decided that maybe I should work towards my dream job, I'm just not sure how.
just out of curiousity, which school do you go to?
[OP]
Jul 1, 2012
15 posts
Orillia
Joelllle wrote: Then instead of going for the luxury brands, why not try to blog about drug store brands? There are a ton of girls in your position that, despite loving makeup and other beauty products, can't justify spending $30+ on a foundation. If you have the knowledge and experience in budget brands, you could do a beauty on a budget kind of thing where you show girls how to make the most of what they have. Some girls may also just not know what they're looking for and may benefit from tips as to what to look for to buy a few decent pieces instead of a bunch of stuff that doesn't work for them.

Good luck, though. Many people have no idea what they want to do still and are even further into their program than you are. It's nice that you have a goal so you can work towards that. =)
That's true. I think I might do a blog mainly based on the cosmetic industry (i.e. the companies) rather than the products themselves. Additionally, I love the budget idea, and I'm thinking of creating different "sets" of makeup to buy for different price levels, based on the common skin/hair/eye/etc. types.

Thank you for the encouragement, Joellle!

IceBlueShoes wrote: +1 for informational interview.
I had an informational interview that lead to me getting invited to an industry event and talking with people in industry. While I didn't directly get a job, speaking with people gave me a moment of clarity to look for a backdoor. I'm now a step closer to getting into the industry I want.
Congratulations Ice, I hope you can obtain your goal. I actually have a sort of informational interview set up with a semi-popular blog writer I follow, and just need to set up a date. This will be my first one.

cheapazn wrote: just out of curiousity, which school do you go to?
I'm currently studying in Schulich at York, iBBA.

Additionally, I've applied to every cosmetics position at The Bay within 1 hour bus ride from my university. I thought about applying to Sears but there seems to be overwhelming employee dissatisfaction, and I would rather not have to deal with that if at all possible. Is there any other places I could apply for a PT position?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2010
5200 posts
167 upvotes
Swinky wrote: That's true. I think I might do a blog mainly based on the cosmetic industry (i.e. the companies) rather than the products themselves. Additionally, I love the budget idea, and I'm thinking of creating different "sets" of makeup to buy for different price levels, based on the common skin/hair/eye/etc. types.

Thank you for the encouragement, Joellle!

Congratulations Ice, I hope you can obtain your goal. I actually have a sort of informational interview set up with a semi-popular blog writer I follow, and just need to set up a date. This will be my first one.

I'm currently studying in Schulich at York, iBBA.

Additionally, I've applied to every cosmetics position at The Bay within 1 hour bus ride from my university. I thought about applying to Sears but there seems to be overwhelming employee dissatisfaction, and I would rather not have to deal with that if at all possible. Is there any other places I could apply for a PT position?
My 2 cents:

Dont let others influence you on whether or not a company is a bad place to work for. Sears is not a bad place for 1st year undergrads to start with + it will be easier to get into The Bay/other places if you atleast worked at Sears or something.
ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ
Dec 8, 2010
23 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I would recommend job shadowing. Also, because you go to Schulich you are open to an extensive network of alumni and graduates, many who I'm sure work in some of those large cosmetics companies. I would say try and get in touch with some of these people and learn about how they got work experience during undergrad and eventually secured positions at those firms.

Another thing you can do is join clubs/student groups where representatives from these companies are in attendance for networking events/case competitions/info sessions, things like that. It's completely fine for you to not get a prestigious internship with them right away. Take the next 2 years to do your research, while still getting relevant experience at other organizations which you can then transfer into say a marketing or finance internship later on in your undergraduate life at one of your dream companies.