Automotive

I just got a new car battery. Dead already.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2020 9:23 am
[OP]
Dec 11, 2009
223 posts
28 upvotes

I just got a new car battery. Dead already.

This is my first car, a used Honda Fit 2013. After I bought it the battery died 2 times. So I bought a new one from Canadian Tire. One week later and the new battery drained too. I don't know what to do.

I live in Winnipeg and it's been cold, but not THAT cold. I keep my block heater plugged in when the temp gets -15 or below.

I only occasionally drive my car and take short trips only (15-30 mins), usually. A few times a week. Sometimes my car sits unused for a few days.

Could it be my remote starter? Or some other drain?

I just bought a trickle charger. But if anyone has any other suggestions that'd be great.
45 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23150 upvotes
GTA
I also have short drives and occasionally plug in my car battery to keep it topped up.
How long did it take for your new battery to fail?
You'll need to check everything to make sure nothing is drawing any current. One way is to lock yourself in the car at night and be sure that all lights go out, including in the trunk.
You can also measure the current draw at idle from the battery using the appropriate meter.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9968 upvotes
Edmonton
Well, the semi obvious answer would be to get your charging system tested to make sure it's putting out enough juice to charge the battery. You don't mention anything about that.

C
Nov 25, 2016
191 posts
164 upvotes
LionheartMG wrote: This is my first car, a used Honda Fit 2013. After I bought it the battery died 2 times. So I bought a new one from Canadian Tire. One week later and the new battery drained too. I don't know what to do.

I live in Winnipeg and it's been cold, but not THAT cold. I keep my block heater plugged in when the temp gets -15 or below.

I only occasionally drive my car and take short trips only (15-30 mins), usually. A few times a week. Sometimes my car sits unused for a few days.

Could it be my remote starter? Or some other drain?

I just bought a trickle charger. But if anyone has any other suggestions that'd be great.

My old car Acura TL had battery drain and later I found out the fan didn't turn off completely after I turned off the car, had to get it fixed.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
After market stereo? Bad alternator?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
4579 posts
1589 upvotes
Mississauga
The battery on that generation of Fit is tiny.
151R is the code and it's around 350CCA.

15-30mins probably isn't enough time to charge it especially if you don't consistently rev it high enough like on highway.
Put it on a tender or just charge the battery overnight biweekly. it should help.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9651 posts
9180 upvotes
1. https://www.wikihow.com/Check-an-Alternator

wing0 wrote: The battery on that generation of Fit is tiny.
151R is the code and it's around 350CCA.

15-30mins probably isn't enough time to charge it especially if you don't consistently rev it high enough like on highway.
Put it on a tender or just charge the battery overnight biweekly. it should help.
I advise my friend with a 2016 Fit to drive it daily, especially in Winter because of this. And you want to keep it charge in winter or it may freeze.

3. Not sure if that applies to 2013 model tho.
Last edited by Xtrema on Feb 10th, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
4579 posts
1589 upvotes
Mississauga
canehdianman wrote: your alternator is toast.
Start the car and let it idle for a bit, then take a multimeter and read the battery terminals.
It should read between 13.8 to 15.3v(according to the web). That'll tell you if your alternator is working or not.
Last edited by wing0 on Feb 10th, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17299 posts
15111 upvotes
GTA, ON
How old is the battery you bought from CT? Although likely not the cause of your problem, I wouldn't necessarily trust CT selling you a fresh battery.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56486 posts
21536 upvotes
chimaican wrote: How old is the battery you bought from CT? Although likely not the cause of your problem, I wouldn't necessarily trust CT selling you a fresh battery.
I ordered an Energizer AGM battery from costco.ca with the $20 off $100. This was in late November.

What came to me was one manufactured in May. It's probably the distributor that sold and shipped to me. I guess I won't have any missed feeling returning the battery for 100% once I scrap my car lol.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18944 posts
6122 upvotes
London
Go to a partsource store when it’s not too busy and get them to do a free battery test (It’s an in car test, they come outside to do it with the battery in place. You don’t have to uninstall the battery)
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4635 posts
4894 upvotes
GTA
There's something wrong with OP's car. Either a parasitic draw, or insufficient charging from the alternator.
Last edited by derass on Feb 10th, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
4579 posts
1589 upvotes
Mississauga
derass wrote: Eh. It's the same battery in my Accord with the bigger 2.4L. It's never had a problem, even in last winter's -40°C temps.

There's something wrong with OP's car. Either a parasitic draw, or insufficient charging from the alternator.
No, it's One-Five-One R. The one on the right.
51R is used on Civic and up.

Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9651 posts
9180 upvotes
wing0 wrote: No, it's One-Five-One R. The one on the right.

My friend's 2016's battery is about 2 years old when he brought it to my heated garage for winter storage while he was out of town. I was surprised it ran out of just after just 2 weeks of storage. Not sure where the parasitic drain is but boost and he is running ok every since.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4635 posts
4894 upvotes
GTA
I stand corrected.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23150 upvotes
GTA

Damn that's small. Is there room to upgrade to a bigger battery?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6695 posts
1372 upvotes
The 151R is a small battery but perfectly adequate for the Fit as long as you don't have a charger/alternator problem or some kind of parasitic drain as someone has mentioned.
[OP]
Dec 11, 2009
223 posts
28 upvotes
Thanks for the replies.

When I bought the car used it had a 51R Interstate battery in it, it was modded to fit. But that battery was 3 years old already, and it drained 2 separate times when winter came. So that's when I went to Canadian Tire to get a new battery, and I was under the impression they were going to put the same size big battery in. Looking at my bill from CT now, they did indeed put a 151 MOTO battery in there, not 51R. I was confused when it took them about 2 hours working on it and the guy told me they had trouble putting it in and a "tray" was missing. You might notice I know nothing about cars, I was just happy to have a working car again, or so I thought.

So as far as I can tell I screwed myself by going to CT and downgrading to a smaller battery. But it cost $140 + labor so it's too late now.

OK so from the advice here, check alternator first.

I also bought two different trickle chargers, just in case the problem is just that the battery drains because it's cold and I rarely use it:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07K7311XF/
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0051D3MP6/

The solar one I got so I can keep it on my dashboard and keep it plugged into the DC port. My car is kept outdoors.

Should I take it to a mechanic or buy a multimeter to check the alternator myself first?