• Jun 14th, 2021 9:09 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 28, 2006
434 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto

I need a 2nd job -

Any ideas for what's available after 5pm?

I have a lot of expenses coming up and will need some extra income. I can drive uber, but not sure how good that is these days.

Open for suggestions, thanks.
28 replies
Jun 18, 2012
30 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
Someone spoke to me today about selling through Amazon..
Jun 4, 2013
951 posts
305 upvotes
Vancouver
McDonalds, Supermarkets, uber drivers, food elivery but I say out of them all supermarket seems to be more stable. Beside most supermakets offer discount for employee who buy their stuff so win win.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7565 posts
4903 upvotes
Victoria, BC
What do you do for a living? For example I run the finances for an exterior siding company as my main job, but I have a "side" bookkeeping job for a pharmacy in my off time (I just go in when I want evenings or weekend - some of it I take with me and do from home).
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1108 posts
365 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: Any ideas for what's available after 5pm?

I have a lot of expenses coming up and will need some extra income. I can drive uber, but not sure how good that is these days.

Get a realtors license.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2893 posts
1604 upvotes
Ottawa
Depending on your current income you might see a lot of this extra income going to taxes. In this case might be better to spend time on activities that save you money. Another option is cash babysitting or cleaning. Also cutting neighbours grass or in winter clearing snow.
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
339 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
itemsale2003 wrote: Get a realtors license.
Yah. The people I've seen just encourage you to bid more money and or sell lower. How much skill do you need for that honestly.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15527 posts
3428 upvotes
Stuck in a Box

Uber delivery / Skip the dishes
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2176 posts
1657 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…

Maybe tell us what you do during the day and things you are good at. Do you have any skills or hobbies? Otherwise it's pretty random.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
Sep 28, 2006
434 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto
Macx2mommy wrote: Maybe tell us what you do during the day and things you are good at. Do you have any skills or hobbies? Otherwise it's pretty random.
I work in Data Analytics during the day. Things that Im good at that might make me money: book keeping, taxes, cleaning peoples cars (but dont have the equipment)

My hobbies: mostly playing sports - nothing really i can make money from.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22171 posts
2830 upvotes
My day job - SW DEV
After work, I go work at a factory for 3-4 hours
Jan 28, 2017
943 posts
983 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: I work in Data Analytics during the day. Things that Im good at that might make me money: book keeping, taxes, cleaning peoples cars (but dont have the equipment)

Invest in a cheap detailing kit (clay bar, paint correction, interior cleaning etc?) and do it at people's home garage on weekends? People pay really good money if you are good at it and can market yourself on social media/car forums.
george__ wrote: My day job - SW DEV
After work, I go work at a factory for 3-4 hours
how do you have the energy to work in a factory at night after writing code all day? Do you do manual labour there?
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22171 posts
2830 upvotes
bear20 wrote: how do you have the energy to work in a factory at night after writing code all day? Do you do manual labor there?
I think of it as being forced to go to the gym :]

Also, I do it for my family. The benefits from both jobs mean that I can provide 100% coverage on stuff like dental and medication.

I would give this up if I was making (~$150,000/year)
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2176 posts
1657 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Thorkell wrote: I work in Data Analytics during the day. Things that Im good at that might make me money: book keeping, taxes, cleaning peoples cars (but dont have the equipment)

This is really where you need to be creative and decide what you want. Did you look up 'side hustles'? Just based on the little your wrote:
- Booking keeping & Taxes - something you can market for if you know what you are doing for small businesses. Could have done that for tax season
- Virtual assistant - if you are organized
- Detailing - buy a cheap kit, go mobile. Put a little money in it.
- Yard work - I am looking for someone to just do yard clean up for a large over grown yard.
- Sports - coaching if you are really good, running small kids clinics, referring depending on the sport referring, consulting - getting kids set up
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
1004 posts
878 upvotes
george__ wrote: I think of it as being forced to go to the gym :]

Also, I do it for my family. The benefits from both jobs mean that I can provide 100% coverage on stuff like dental and medication.

I'll be honest, I thought you were trolling. But you're a good ex of doing what needs to be done. I can see how maybe it could even be a relief from the screen, I just don't know if I'd have the energy.

Cheers to you for making it work.
Dec 25, 2007
557 posts
463 upvotes
Vancouver
george__ wrote: I think of it as being forced to go to the gym :]

Quite an interesting concept! I make pretty good money as a consultant but have detailed cars on the side for 15 or so years.
I might consider another job at night just to get the benefits coverage. The extra dollars would be nice but mainly a good reason to leave the house and benefits.