Computers & Electronics

I need to change my IP Address (cable modem)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2020 7:12 pm
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
173 posts
58 upvotes
Canada

I need to change my IP Address (cable modem)

Is the only way to do this easily to power off the modem for 30 days? I am a TekSavvy customer.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6556 posts
2941 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Think overnight would do it.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
19086 posts
27499 upvotes
ONTARIO
spoof mac address if the router you are using supports it.
Nov 11, 2006
744 posts
820 upvotes
Durham, Ontario
Usually a couple hours or over night should be fine.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4568 posts
4620 upvotes
Vancouver
Eckz wrote: Usually a couple hours or over night should be fine.
It's highly variable. Changing MAC address is the surest method.
Banned
Nov 3, 2020
112 posts
95 upvotes
The way it works is:

Upon boot, the cable modem fetches a new IP when the downstream device changes MAC address.

If you’re able to change the MAC ID of your router, then it’ll work. (cable modem reboot req)
Veteran RFD
Nov 15, 2020
780 posts
441 upvotes
The 100% fastest way is to stick a different device into the modem when you powercycle it. As soon as it sees a different MAC Address connecting to the modem, it'll change the mac address automatically. After that just plug your router into it and it'll stay that way until you powercycle the modem.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3687 posts
20693 upvotes
You haven't even mentioned why you want to change your IP address.
Apr 19, 2014
148 posts
147 upvotes
Markham, ON
evilYoda wrote: The 100% fastest way is to stick a different device into the modem when you powercycle it. As soon as it sees a different MAC Address connecting to the modem, it'll change the mac address automatically. After that just plug your router into it and it'll stay that way until you powercycle the modem.
When you plug it back it to the original router or change back to old MAC, it doesn't always get a new IP. It'll revert back to the told IP, even after a few days. I speak from experience.
I don't know what's the current hold time for IP on the Rogers network, but it seems extremely long.
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
173 posts
58 upvotes
Canada
Assuming I can create a custom MAC address how do I choose one that is unique
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33516 posts
7145 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
redflagdealsnewb wrote: Assuming I can create a custom MAC address how do I choose one that is unique
@evilYoda gave you the best answer

Disconnect the modem from your router and power it off, then plug your computer directly into the modem.

Your computer will provide a unique MAC address and reset the IP address. Once that is changed, you can repeat the process and plug your router back in to do it a second time
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
173 posts
58 upvotes
Canada
Gee wrote: @evilYoda gave you the best answer

Disconnect the modem from your router and power it off, then plug your computer directly into the modem.

Your computer will provide a unique MAC address and reset the IP address. Once that is changed, you can repeat the process and plug your router back in to do it a second time
Thanks.

How risky is it to connect directly to the modem?
Nov 15, 2020
780 posts
441 upvotes
redflagdealsnewb wrote: Thanks.

you mean to connect for a whole 180 secs while the modem synchs?! Not like there is internet connectivity until modem finishes synching. Look at the lights to figure out when it is done then disconnect pc from modem and plug in router. In windows, the windows firewall will ask you what is that thing you just connected to and whether to make lump it as a private or public network.
Nov 11, 2006
744 posts
820 upvotes
Durham, Ontario
redflagdealsnewb wrote: Thanks.

It will send a "self destruct" signal to the motherboard of your PC.
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
173 posts
58 upvotes
Canada
evilYoda wrote: The 100% fastest way is to stick a different device into the modem when you powercycle it. As soon as it sees a different MAC Address connecting to the modem, it'll change the mac address automatically. After that just plug your router into it and it'll stay that way until you powercycle the modem.
Thanks for your help. My laptop got a new IP, but when I powered down and plugged everything into my PC the IP address was the same.

Should I try doing a factor reset of my router? Or how about buying a cheap switch? Would that have a unique MAC Address? I could go Modem > Switch > Router
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
173 posts
58 upvotes
Canada
evilYoda wrote: After that just plug your router into it and it'll stay that way until you powercycle the modem.
Didn't read the last bit.

That makes sense. So it will change to a new one and stay that way until I power cycle it in the future.

EDIT:

Now I can’t connect at all. I’ll continue to mess around but I think I will try to clone the MAC Address
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3687 posts
20693 upvotes
As mentioned above, just because you plug a new device in, doesn't mean you will get a new IP when you switch it back. This is why lease times are setup to remember the address, if you unplug the day before the lease expires and let wait for the time to lapse and then plug it back in, there is a good chance you will get a new address but no guarantee. You have to remember that with the amount of IP's the ISP has on hand, it will go through a complete array of items before it hands you a new IP. YOU can try releasing your IP from a laptop while directly connected to the modem, clear your cache and then plug your other device back in and see if grabs a new IP.
[OP]
Jun 10, 2015
173 posts
58 upvotes
Canada
markopas wrote: As mentioned above, just because you plug a new device in, doesn't mean you will get a new IP when you switch it back. This is why lease times are setup to remember the address, if you unplug the day before the lease expires and let wait for the time to lapse and then plug it back in, there is a good chance you will get a new address but no guarantee. You have to remember that with the amount of IP's the ISP has on hand, it will go through a complete array of items before it hands you a new IP. YOU can try releasing your IP from a laptop while directly connected to the modem, clear your cache and then plug your other device back in and see if grabs a new IP.
Thanks for all your help.

I was able to clone my desktop's MAC address to my router. This seems to have resolved the problem. I'm not sure if this will create other challenges so I might revert back to my old MAC address in a month or so. I'll look into "releasing" my IP in the future if I ever have the same issue.