I need help to select a dishwasher

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2010 9:12 pm
[OP]
Aug 10, 2008
976 posts
88 upvotes

I need help to select a dishwasher

I don't know anything about dishwasher because I have always done my dishwashing by hand for years. Now the family has grown bigger, I am considering installing a dishwasher to save time.

I saw on various online store that the price ranges from $250 to some $600

why is there such a big difference? what feature should I look for when shopping for it? are there a lot of different features that explain the difference in prices?

is that true that you have to wash certain things by hand like delicate crystal glasses and pots & pans by hand because they can't fit in the dishwasher?

thanks
9 replies
Jun 20, 2006
200 posts
1 upvote
The really cheap dishwashers have 2 spray arms and all the spray arms are plastic --- very rare, but you can still find them. Buy one with 3 spray arms and at least the bottom spray arm being made in metal.

In terms of features, I highly value the dish detergent holding tank. I buy gigantic gallon size bottles of dish detergent from Costco and it is a pain to pour it every single day. More expensive dishwashers have a holding tank that you can pour a whole month's worth of dishwasher detergent at once.
Mar 4, 2006
472 posts
147 upvotes
For us noise was the biggest factor when we were looking for a dish washer. We found that the quieter models are often more expensive, only available in stainless steel and has more features.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7571 posts
5739 upvotes
Ottawa
In addition to quiet operations and better quality innards, there's also tall-tub and water-saving technology. We've had one with all of these features (a Bosch) for about 10 years and it was about double the high end of the OP's range.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2008
976 posts
88 upvotes
I went to a couple stores such as Sears, The Brick, Leon etc. and had a first look at the dishwashers. The high end models look very nice and have all the extra features but I cannot afford them

I wonder if the low price model (250$ for GE model at homedepot) would have the basic task done. I dont expect to be a quiet model nor the extra fancy stuff but all I need is to have the dish washed clean, would that be ok?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
I bought a $450 dishwasher for $330 and learned that it was a $250 dishwasher with some insulation wrapped around it with slightly fancier buttons. I have to wash the dishes before they go in or it sprays food bits all over the place and they dry on the dishes.

This is the only appliance I hate, I wish I spent more because it either works the way I expect it to or not. Anything less is a total fail and waste of money. My sister got an $800 dollar dishwasher for $700 and it kills mine. It could even wash your garbage and make it clean.

Spending a lot of cash doesn't guarantee it will work, but stay away from the lower end machines, they don't function that well.

http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml
Dec 30, 2009
5 posts
Courtenay, BC
I have a Kenmore now. It's pretty noisy, has plastic racks, takes
quite a while to run a cycle but cleans pretty well. It's a tall tub
with adjustable top rack, (that never gets changed).
Relatives have the Kenmore elite tall tub. Nylon racks that won't
rust and are stronger. Extremely quiet! A slight noise is heard at
fill time and then nothing. Amazing, really, because they are right
where the family meets. Sears has them on huge sale now.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1106 upvotes
Mississauga
We've gone through about 7 dishwashers in our lifetime and at present we have two installed. Pricing varies depending on manufacture, options, quality, construction, cosmetic, noise etc. When I say 7 dishwashers, I normally purchase higher quality since they tend to last us about 5000 to 6000 washes, yes we use our dishwashers alot, and the second one is installed in a bar. I don't preclean anything, other then dispose of food down the disposer and I even put china etc in. I'm not gentle on dishwashers since my atittude is.........that's what I bought it for.

You can also check the Sears clearance this time of year to get a $1000.00 dishwasher for about $500.00. You need to do your research though.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19797 posts
2548 upvotes
samab wrote: The really cheap dishwashers have 2 spray arms and all the spray arms are plastic --- very rare, but you can still find them. Buy one with 3 spray arms and at least the bottom spray arm being made in metal.

In terms of features, I highly value the dish detergent holding tank. I buy gigantic gallon size bottles of dish detergent from Costco and it is a pain to pour it every single day. More expensive dishwashers have a holding tank that you can pour a whole month's worth of dishwasher detergent at once.
Holding tank is not an issue if you use the pellet/gel pack type detergent instead of the liquids. Much more convenient, and not any more expensive really.

IMo biggest factor in a dish washer is noise, and energy star rating. OP buy the most efficient dishwasher you can afford; the energy savings will PAY FOR the unit over the years you own it.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Dec 11, 2005
570 posts
8 upvotes
I bought a Bosch from Sears on their boxing day sale. I have now read a bit more and am disappointed that the one that I bought doesn't have a delay start which I love using on our present crappy DW. I am not sure whether to spend a bit more $, but the one that i bought seemed like a great deal.....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)